White Sox peripherally make news for Cub Hating

caulfield12

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Oct 9, 2015 -> 12:02 PM)
Hopefully they lose in the most painful possible way.

I actually said this to a coworker in 2003. She assumed that I would root for the Cubs since I was from Chicago. I told her that I didn't just want them to lose, but I wanted it to be in the most spectacular way possible. Then Bartman happened.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 08:47 AM)
I actually said this to a coworker in 2003. She assumed that I would root for the Cubs since I was from Chicago. I told her that I didn't just want them to lose, but I wanted it to be in the most spectacular way possible. Then Bartman happened.

What would be a bigger gag, the Cubs in 2003 or the Astros or Rangers this year? I would have to go with the Cubs since it was the NLCS as opposed to a division series. That was one spectacular meltdown, and they got to blame it on a fan. Beyond awesome.

The Rangers were expected to lose...whereas Toronto is everyone's AL World Series favorite.

Stroman has a ton of pressure on him, with Price mostly out of the picture strangely.

The Astros had a 4-1 lead in Game 2 early and a 6-2 lead in the 8th as well yesterday. Everyone in the world knows they are lacking flamethrowers in the pen.

Otoh, Rasmus and especially Correa have been huge.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 08:49 AM)
What would be a bigger gag, the Cubs in 2003 or the Astros or Rangers this year? I would have to go with the Cubs since it was the NLCS as opposed to a division series. That was one spectacular meltdown, and they got to blame it on a fan. Beyond awesome.

The Rangers never led in game 3 or game 4, many teams have blown 2-0 or 3-1 leads, so this wouldn't be as big of a deal. Plus, it's hard to top their game 6 collapse in the 2011 WS when they could have clinched. A 2-run lead with 2 outs in the 9th, another 2 run lead in the 10th. All could have been likely avoided if the manager makes a defensive replacement for Nelson Cruz.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 09:04 AM)
The Rangers never led in game 3 or game 4, many teams have blown 2-0 or 3-1 leads, so this wouldn't be as big of a deal. Plus, it's hard to top their game 6 collapse in the 2011 WS when they could have clinched. A 2-run lead with 2 outs in the 9th, another 2 run lead in the 10th. All could have been likely avoided if the manager makes a defensive replacement for Nelson Cruz.

You blow a 2-0 series lead with the next 2 at home, that's a huge gag. Maybe they win in Toronto, but you have to lose 3 in a row including 2 at home, that would be disappointing. The Astros, if they lose, will be a very similar choke to that of the 2003 Cubs. Those ALDS winner hats and t-shirts were probably already in the dugout yesterday.

If the Rangers had a healthy Yu Darvish...that would be one thing.

Clayton Kershaw is the one who really needs to prove something tonight or his name will be up there with ARod and Bonds in the post-season disappearing acts list.

When your choices are Colby Lewis and Derek Holland, with both having 5+ and 6+ ERAs over the last six weeks, not much to work with...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 09:20 AM)
If the Rangers had a healthy Yu Darvish...that would be one thing.

Clayton Kershaw is the one who really needs to prove something tonight or his name will be up there with ARod and Bonds in the post-season disappearing acts list.

When your choices are Colby Lewis and Derek Holland, with both having 5+ and 6+ ERAs over the last six weeks, not much to work with...

What? Bonds hit 8 homers in 17 games in the 2002 playoffs. His OPS was somewhere in the range north of 1.500

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 09:38 AM)
What? Bonds hit 8 homers in 17 games in the 2002 playoffs. His OPS was somewhere in the range north of 1.500

A-Rod was also great in every 2009 playoff series, and his playoff career OPS is .822, a drop-off from his career average but not anywhere near bad enough to be labeled a playoff goat. Bonds' OPS in the playoffs is .936

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 09:40 AM)
Josh Hamilton is something like 0 for his last 32 in the postseason.

I think he went 2 for 3 the other night, which prompted Harold Reynolds to exclaim "That's why you play him right there. Every so often he'll just get a hold of one."

Yes Harold. That's why you play him. So he can hit a couple singles every 30 at bats.

I was referring to pre-steroids Bonds.

Well, never mind.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-cubs-are-...-032206186.html

It's starting. Passan basically arguing that the Cubs in the NLCS and World Series will be one of the first times in recent history baseball has gotten more attention in October than football, probably going back to the 2004 Red Sox championship...oxygen remaining for the White Sox in the media, critical and failing.

Well, never mind.

It's starting. Passan basically arguing that the Cubs in the NLCS and World Series will be one of the first times in recent history baseball has gotten more attention in October than football, probably going back to the 2004 Red Sox championship...oxygen remaining for the White Sox in the media, critical and failing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-leag...-181323651.html

Apparently Schwarber's bomb last night landed resting on top of the scoreboard.

Too good to make it up. They're going to leave it up there, enshrined in a protective glass casing until the end of the playoffs.

The anti-Billy Goat, Bartman Ball, 1969 Mets, Leon Durham (1984), Bill Buckner (well, he mostly played for the Cubs, so the associative theory), the Brant Brown error in 1998, lost to the Giants in 1989 but nobody remembers because of the earthquake, etc.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 14, 2015 -> 09:08 PM)

Well, never mind.

Despite the playoff series win the sports radio talk this week so far has been mostly about the Bears.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 14, 2015 -> 10:24 PM)
Despite the playoff series win the sports radio talk this week so far has been mostly about the Bears.

Agreed. The Bears are the undisputed kings of Chicago. A Bears Super Bowl victory now would be bigger than the Cubs or the Blackhawks in Chicago

Let's face it. Cub mania is about to explode. The Sox and we Sox fans have a chance to prove our loyalty cause the Sox are gonna be second citizens for a long, long time now that the Cubs have Maddon and are young and playoff bound for years to come.

They also as a large market team have the money to spend, spend spend to keep bringing in name players to go with the kids and we as a small market team don't have the $$$s to try to right the wrongs of LaRoche and Melky.

I realize we've always been second citizens as Sox fans to a certain extent, but this is different. The media has changed a ton since 2005 and our team is now buried in oblivion. Any media coverage our team gets will be secondary. Again, that's probably good cause the Sox are gonna HAVE to get off their asses and escape this flirting with .500 bulls***. It's time to field a consistent winning team SOON or get no attention and see attendance stick to about 15,000 to 18000 a game IMO.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 14, 2015 -> 10:34 PM)
Let's face it. Cub mania is about to explode. The Sox and we Sox fans have a chance to prove our loyalty cause the Sox are gonna be second citizens for a long, long time now that the Cubs have Maddon and are young and playoff bound for years to come.

They also as a large market team have the money to spend, spend spend to keep bringing in name players to go with the kids and we as a small market team don't have the $$s to try to right the wrongs of LaRoche and Melky.

I realize we've always been second citizens as Sox fans to a certain extent, but this is different. The media has changed a ton since 2005 and our team is now buried in oblivion. Any media coverage our team gets will be secondary. Again, that's probably good cause the Sox are gonna HAVE to get off their asses and escape this flirting with .500 bulls***. It's time to field a consistent winning team SOON or get no attention and see attendance stick to about 15,000 to 18000 a game IMO.

Pretty much nailed it on the head.....specially on the bottom portion of your post. Still not convinced on unloading Melky. geeez if just half of the balls that he squared up found a hole he'd be at least 20 points higher in average.(just a ballpark estimate). LaRoche? yeah..... the human poster child for Waste Management. Melky....not quite convinced yet

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_the_Billy_Goat

Media playing up the angle of the Billy Goat Curse again...the Mets' Murphy and Billy Goat sharing the same name.

Then you have the 1969 Curse with the Mets.

http://www.billygoattavern.com/legend/our-history/

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-leag...-165153251.html

Tickets averaging $1000 a piece, twice as much as ALCS.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 06:54 PM)
I'm tuning into all the Cubs playoff games for two reasons:

1) I like intense postseason baseball - the kind that we Sox fans unfortunately won't be seeing our team involved in for another decade

2) I have to be there for the inevitable Cubs screwup/curse that ends their 2015 Cinderella story. It's gonna happen, you watch!

So far Cubs haven't done squat in this series. They might battle back but they've looked like s*** so far.

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 01:54 PM)
I'm tuning into all the Cubs playoff games for two reasons:

1) I like intense postseason baseball - the kind that we Sox fans unfortunately won't be seeing our team involved in for another decade

2) I have to be there for the inevitable Cubs screwup/curse that ends their 2015 Cinderella story. It's gonna happen, you watch!

It has nothing to do with a curse or screwup. They ran into great starting pitching.