1. 1. Who wins?

• Cubs
    • Better club

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cubs will be right back, unless they won't

Great article. Makes the point that anything can happen in baseball and that as good as the Cubs "should" be for the next five or so years, there's no guarantee they'll get any closer to the Series during that time than they did this year. I'm hearing a lot of Cubs fans saying things like, "I'm disappointed but proud. The future is bright." I'm sorry, but if I were a Cubs fan I'd be p*ssed right now. Any time you get that close to a pennant and choke as badly as they did, how can you not be furious? Especially after the fireworks show they just put on against the team with the best record in baseball?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 01:09 PM)
Did the Cubs really choke? The Mets were just better. You can be disappointed that your season came to an end and be damn proud of what they accomplished as well and I think Cubs fans have that right.

Define choke? For a 97 win team with the 3rd best record in baseball they put on an absolutely pathetic display in all facets of the game. The Mets aren't good enough to make a 97 win team all of the sudden look like a bunch of little leaguers.

Did the Cubs really choke? The Mets were just better. You can be disappointed that your season came to an end and be damn proud of what they accomplished as well and I think Cubs fans have that right.

For a team that's supposed to have a great offense--and did for much of the regular season--I'd say yeah, they choked. Team slash line of .164/.225/.297 over the four game series. 4-19 with RISP.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 12:49 PM)
That's his reputation, but a lot of SS miss plays. You dont know if its focus or whether people think his cap isn't on right and just assume its focus. It's not secret the Cubs dont like him very much and I'm guessing Maddon is a part of that.

If Theo's expecting a front-line starter in return for him he's getting laughed off the phone. Nobody is trading Quintana for a package built around Castro. But what if the price drifts lower? What if Theo's willing to sell him for Montas? Im not saying I take that deal, but I sure as hell think about it.

With the rest of the Cubs players* they want Sale and I wouldn't give them more than Quintana for anyone other than Russell. Castro is the guy who's realistic and intriguing enough to make a phone call over.

*who may be available, I dont think the Cubs are looking to send Bryant or Rizzo packing.

I've always like Castro. I would give up Montas for him, no problem. His contract is long, yes, but it really isn't bad at all (4/$37, meh). I think he's as good a bet for a bounceback as anybody; I think luck has had a lot to do with his two bad seasons (look how he hit more ground balls those years yet had a lower BABIP); I think he's a prime example of the mythical Change of Scenery Guy.

He's cheaper than Alexei Ramirez next year. He's, what, 10 years younger? I know who I'd rather have, and I'd give up some talent to do so. With the eternal caveat that it depends on price, Castro is exactly the type of guy we should be trying to trade for. I think more would agree if he wasn't a Cubbie.

I've seen a lot of people posit that we'll pick up Alexei's option because the stopgap free agent shortstops aren't any good. That is true, but Castro could be a building block. He's no stopgap.

Mets pitching is special but batting .164, playing bad defense and coming off running through Pitt and (a beat up) Cards team to overcome the "Cards black magic" is definitely a choke. The "ahead of schedule" argument doesn't apply in baseball imo.

Edited by TheTruth05

The word choke is just silly to me. So basically you guys are telling me that they were just fine in a do or die game, were able to take on their arch nemesis but then all the sudden the NLCS was too big of a moment for them? That just seems ridiculous to me. I can buy the fact that they possibly started to play a little bit tighter when they got down 0-2 but the Mets were just a better team just as the Cubs were just better than whatever the hell the Cardinals were throwing out there.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 01:06 PM)
The Cubs will be right back, unless they won't

Great article. Makes the point that anything can happen in baseball and that as good as the Cubs "should" be for the next five or so years, there's no guarantee they'll get any closer to the Series during that time than they did this year. I'm hearing a lot of Cubs fans saying things like, "I'm disappointed but proud. The future is bright." I'm sorry, but if I were a Cubs fan I'd be p*ssed right now. Any time you get that close to a pennant and choke as badly as they did, how can you not be furious? Especially after the fireworks show they just put on against the team with the best record in baseball?

I think we will have a repeat after what happened after 2003 and the pitching went to s***. I think Maddon overused his staff. Jake big time.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 01:23 PM)
The word choke is just silly to me. So basically you guys are telling me that they were just fine in a do or die game, were able to take on their arch nemesis but then all the sudden the NLCS was too big of a moment for them? That just seems ridiculous to me. I can buy the fact that they possibly started to play a little bit tighter when they got down 0-2 but the Mets were just a better team just as the Cubs were just better than whatever the hell the Cardinals were throwing out there.

Agreed

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 02:13 PM)
Define choke? For a 97 win team with the 3rd best record in baseball they put on an absolutely pathetic display in all facets of the game. The Mets aren't good enough to make a 97 win team all of the sudden look like a bunch of little leaguers.

Sounds like when the '83 Sox played Baltimore.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 01:16 PM)
Mets pitching is special but batting .164, playing bad defense and coming off running through Pitt and (a beat up) Cards team to overcome the "Cards black magic" is definitely a choke. The "ahead of schedule" argument doesn't apply in baseball imo.

I wouldn't call it a choke. They played poorly, but I think it probably was the Mets pitching and the eventual regression to the mean. I also think maybe subconsciously, when Arrietta lost, they had to figure they were in huge trouble, and then you try to do too much and that makes it even worse.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 01:37 PM)
It's baseball, s*** happens, especially in October. Remember, we made the Royals look like a little-league team as recently as the beginning of September.

Yes. The Cubs turned into the 2015 White Sox. Poor offense. Poor defense. Runners getting thrown out, and falling behind in the first inning every game.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 01:39 PM)
Yes. The Cubs turned into the 2015 White Sox. Poor offense. Poor defense. Runners getting thrown out, and falling behind in the first inning every game.

To be fair, defense was never their strong suit and their offense is prone to high strikeout rates. Once the Mets started shutting them down they folded.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 01:13 PM)

I'll say it again for everyone that doesn't understand: Variance trumps everything.

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 12:31 PM)
Any good stuff on the score this morning?

Don't discount this hurting the Sox. The Score has a great signal. I listen to Les Grobstien every night driving home from work. The Sox will be an afterthought on there from now on. There will be very little Sox to report on there. Good luck to the Sox on their new station. The Score is well respected natoinally. No more Sox on there.

I need ammo.

Someone posted a picture calling the Cell ghetto. I replied to it with a comment stating "Fun fact, Wrigleyville has a higher crime rate than the area surrounding the Cell."

A guy replied wanting proof. I got that info from some posters here but surely I can't just say "[insert posters name] said it on soxtalk". So where can I find said information?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 03:05 PM)
Don't discount this hurting the Sox. The Score has a great signal. I listen to Les Grobstien every night driving home from work. The Sox will be an afterthought on there from now on. There will be very little Sox to report on there. Good luck to the Sox on their new station. The Score is well respected natoinally. No more Sox on there.

I was asking if anybody heard cub fan whining on the score this morning. :P

Edited by whitesoxjr27

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 03:07 PM)
I need ammo.

Someone posted a picture calling the Cell ghetto. I replied to it with a comment stating "Fun fact, Wrigleyville has a higher crime rate than the area surrounding the Cell."

A guy replied wanting proof. I got that info from some posters here but surely I can't just say "[insert posters name] said it on soxtalk". So where can I find said information?

This is what I found from a quick Google search

Bridgeport:

http://crime.chicagotribune.com/chicago/community/bridgeport

Lakeview:

http://crime.chicagotribune.com/chicago/community/lake-view