Cubs-Mets (Better Team) NLCS

Panerista

Who wins  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Cubs
    • Better club

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 08:10 AM)
In their defense the W flag was very lightly used before this year and did appear to be brand new.

I agree only from a marketing perspective. However, I lived at Waveland and Wilton 15-20 years ago. They were using both the white background/blue letter W and inverse blue background/white letter L flags back then and I think it even predated that time frame. A few years later, they dumped the L flag since it had a negative connotation and would only fly a flag if the Cubs won. You would even sometimes see vendors outside Sox games selling navy blue t-shirts with a white "L" in the middle of it. The "W" flag has definitely been used consistently at Wrigley Field for some time but people more recently decided to market it as something they could sell as smaller versions and shirts for home. Add the #flytheW crap and it took off.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My God, I wonder if my friend wrote that. When we watched a game together and I said he needs to just enjoy playoff baseball in some aspect, he went on about how people need to learn how to talk to cubs fans. I was like:

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I agree only from a marketing perspective. However, I lived at Waveland and Wilton 15-20 years ago. They were using both the white background/blue letter W and inverse blue background/white letter L flags back then and I think it even predated that time frame. A few years later, they dumped the L flag since it had a negative connotation and would only fly a flag if the Cubs won. You would even sometimes see vendors outside Sox games selling navy blue t-shirts with a white "L" in the middle of it. The "W" flag has definitely been used consistently at Wrigley Field for some time but people more recently decided to market it as something they could sell as smaller versions and shirts for home. Add the #flytheW crap and it took off.

You missed the joke entirely.

https://np.reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/3...derstand_xpost/

When we win the World Series next year, I want to share it with the rest of the world. I want your back slaps, your words of congratulation, and most of all, I want to hear you say "I was rooting for the Giants, man," because, face it, you secretly are.

We want to talk about Timmy Jim, about #75 and MadBum and Brandons, and we want outsiders to constantly reference a certain catcher who also shares our joy. The rest of the baseball world should be obsessed with him, because we are. We have a good heart, a better understanding of baseball, and a better understanding of the Giants. It's clear to us, the rest of you will just never understand.

We are obsessed with finally winning the World Series again. It's been almost more than a year for most of the fan base to even get that far. We dream of watching those games with our father, or our brothers, while trying to hold ourselves together thinking about the departed family members who introduced us to this awesome experience and maybe only saw one championship in '54.

With each passing year, the joy gets deeper and deeper, as our parents reach the age of 70, and our grandparents move on to a better place. This isn't a game once you reach that point. It's a memory that's given to us, that will happen again. And that feels good. Very good.

So if you want to make jokes about the team now, or get angry about Madison's success, please understand that when we do finally win again, I will share the moment with you. I won't be angry or treat you like you've treated us. I'll just party with you. It's not something you might ever properly experience, and I want you to know how it feels. It won't change the fact that I can give my grandpa a high five and see the look in his eyes but you can't. But that will all be part of the emotion of that moment, my moment, our moment.

We are kindred spirits with the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals, and Athletics, we share in the joy with our cohorts in the East Bay, and most of all, we would never trade our experiences with Dodger fans because their franchise has fewer titles. As awesome as it is, I love being a Giants fan.

I know it will happen again in my lifetime, my father's lifetime, and my children's lifetime. I know it did happen in my grandpa's lifetime, and every October, that thought brings me tears of joy because in that moment I am euphoric. In 2010 I learned a lot about being a Giants fan from him, and in those final innings of Game 5, in the pinnacle of Renteria/Timmyt-fueled happiness, I learned something new about my 84 year-old grandfather. For that, thank you San Francisco Giants, because the true character of a person announces itself in times of elation.

If you're a Yankees and Cardinals fan, you understand, and I want others to. When it does happen, talk to me, joke with me, and certainly try to cheer with me. I'll offer words of encouragement. Because, right now, I'm laughing and joking about memories I always share with people that mean the most to me. It feels great.

Until then, though, don't mellow in your sadness because you're not the Giants, don't make jokes and ridicule your team because they can't win 3 in 5. The fire is brewing inside in me, and I want it to ignite inside you.

I'll share those moments with the people that mean the most to me, drunks at the bar and the gentle sirs and ladies

Satire post by a Giants fan in response. Awesome.

Cubs fans post this crap and wonder why people take such joy in the Cubs losing.

For a fanbase that always said it couldn't care less about the Sox, they sure do seem to take great interest in White Sox fans. I'm glad we bug them.

Before the Sox won, and even after, did anyone give a s*** what joy or heartbreak it caused a Cubs fan when the Sox lost or won? It never even crossed my mind what Cubs fans thought.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 10:13 AM)
Cubs fans post this crap and wonder why people take such joy in the Cubs losing.

For a fanbase that always said it couldn't care less about the Sox, they sure do seem to take great interest in White Sox fans. I'm glad we bug them.

I was called a jinx at work because i watched the series. I was part of the problem i guess. :lol:

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 10:30 PM)
20 seems like a lot. I'd say 15 tops. He's not quite David Price. But yeah I bet he's going to blow out his arm, if he hasn't done so already

He is going to be 30.

Boras is his agent.

There will most likely not be the free agency windfall here in three years.

He will ask for $20M+ in arbitration and based on where starting pitching is headed he could get it.

The Orioles changed his mechanics to try and save his arm, he is now back to the Kerry Wood car dealership delivery.

This is a real situation for both the cubs and the Arrieta/Boras camp.

Edited by Harry Chappas

Arrieta made $3M last year. Is there precedence for such a big jump in arbitration? I could see $15M but $20M seems like too big a jump, even though he would deserve it. Also googling his name the first result said Theo is looking to give him an extension and resign Fowler.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 10:25 AM)
Also I still can't get over how the Chicago media is not grasping the concept that baseball across the board is getting younger.

The story yesterday was how young he cubs are..is Houston, Mets, Cardinals and even Pittsburgh still considered young?

They just dont know those teams exist.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 10:25 AM)
Arrieta made $3M last year. Is there precedence for such a big jump in arbitration? I could see $15M but $20M seems like too big a jump, even though he would deserve it. Also googling his name the first result said Theo is looking to give him an extension and resign Fowler.

I think the projection is $10.6 million.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 09:53 AM)

Another cringeworthy post. The Cubs don't have the monopoly on heartbreak, especially when it's not like Chicago has exactly been starved of sports championships in the recent past.

My grandfather was a Cubs fan. I watched his heartbreak in 2003.

They never won for him, so I'll never root for them.

But Jesus. The Cubs aren't the only ones who know heartbreak.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 08:51 PM)
Aspiring sports journalist that works at Babies R' Us. No LinkedIn page either. No official website, only a WordPress blog.

His career aspirations shouldn't be too high.

....and the Blackhawks are rebuilding

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 09:53 AM)

Another cringeworthy post. The Cubs don't have the monopoly on heartbreak, especially when it's not like Chicago has exactly been starved of sports championships in the recent past.

Good grief. It's still just a game. If the MLB for some insane reason ceased to exist tomorrow, your life would go on.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 12:17 PM)
To be fair, I think most Sox fans are obsessed with annoying Cubs fans too. It's pretty much an endless cycle.

I don't know. I hate the Cubs, but the only Cubs fans I would annoy with my Cubs hate here are J4L and AustinIllini. I bet most of these blogs crying about White Sox fans weren't written from personal experience. Most of my friends are Cubs fans, and we have a little back and forth, but it's all in good fun. Even my sister for some reason likes the Cubs. She doesn't mind getting a little crap when they lose. She dishes it out as well. They wouldn't dream of crying about it on a blog.

I am glad they are bothered. I do know blogging about it won't make it better.

I bet if you went to the message board at Cubs.com when the Cubs beat the Sox there was some crap. Face it, you can buy a Sox Suck t shirt at just about every stand outside of Wrigley. Or a tshirt with SUX instead of SOX. It is an endless cycle, but in the end, it's a game, and when your team wins it all, it's awesome, but not exactly life changing.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 01:28 PM)
Buried in this graphic... The Cubs saw 3 of the 7 biggest declines in fastball velocity in the post-season, including both Lester and Arrieta. Hendricks led the way.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/edinson-vol...-velocity-bump/

Is a 0.4 mph drop really that meaningful though?