Adam Eaton Trade Speculation

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 09:01 AM)
If they're gonna sign Heyward, they should move the outfield walls back to the old dimensions so we actually get more benefit from his defensive ability.

Odds of it actually happening?

One in 250-300.

I've brought this up too! Good to hear I'm not the only one with this crazy idea. Sure when we had Thomas, Mags, Carlos Lee, Valentine, etc. and all we did was mash, moving the wall in made sense. I don't know the politics of moving the wall. Not sure if there is a whole approval process or you can do it at will, but if it's the latter it'd be smart to play to our strengths. With Sale, Q and Rodon? Pitching is our strength. We have no real power to speak of. So push back the wall a few feet. (Maybe it doesnt make sense with Garcia and Melky as our OF -- but with a Trayce, Eaton, Heyward, Fowler, Cespedes, etc.??

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 09:01 AM)
If they're gonna sign Heyward, they should move the outfield walls back to the old dimensions so we actually get more benefit from his defensive ability.

Odds of it actually happening?

One in 250-300.

I was referencing the Cubs signing him, I'll clarify that in my post

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 09:27 AM)
If Eaton was really someone they didn't want around, he would have played a lot less in Sept. That wasn't the case.

I disagree, because that would have ruined his trade value. Who wants this guy we benched all of September?

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 09:11 AM)
I've brought this up too! Good to hear I'm not the only one with this crazy idea. Sure when we had Thomas, Mags, Carlos Lee, Valentine, etc. and all we did was mash, moving the wall in made sense. I don't know the politics of moving the wall. Not sure if there is a whole approval process or you can do it at will, but if it's the latter it'd be smart to play to our strengths. With Sale, Q and Rodon? Pitching is our strength. We have no real power to speak of. So push back the wall a few feet. (Maybe it doesnt make sense with Garcia and Melky as our OF -- but with a Trayce, Eaton, Heyward, Fowler, Cespedes, etc.??

I think you've got this backwards. Moving the wall back would just shine more light on our glaring offensive weaknesses. Guys like Frank, Maggs and Carlos Lee didn't need the short wall. Alexei, Saladino and Sanchez do.

The best we can hope for is Upton and I'd put high odds on that ever happening. Heyward? Not even a remote chance at that happening. I'd also forget about the pie in the sky trade scenario's with the Cubs. That too will not happen. We know who are trade partners are; Boston and Arizona. Regarding Eaton, it would not surprise me to see him launched, despite his rebound this year and affordable price tag, given his mental lapses on the bases and occasionally in the field. And I agree that it would also be a mistake to let him go. We've got problems far greater than Eaton to worry about on this team. But as you all just saw with the Cubs, you need to be at least 3 deep in quality starters to hope to have a shot at a WS so trading Q is also a mistake. This team has really boxed itself into a corner and very few obvious moves can be made to turn things around. I'd push hard to add Chris Davis (unlikely - Boras client) and chase as many fallen 3rd base prospects as I could find (like former Astros 3B Matt Dominguez) to throw at a wall and see what sticks. I'd also try to swing a trade for Pompey from Toronto (another popular trade partner of ours) and bat him 9th for a nice bit of speed at the bottom of the order. And finally, my trade chip would be Robinson as we he is a luxury we don't need - yet. Just spitballin here myself but as we all know, the team is really stuck and since management wont dump Ventura or jettison Kenny and/or Rick we need to find a way to retool again on the fly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 10:21 AM)
I see no realistic scenario that has us paying $100 million for an outfielder. That isn't even our greatest need. It is #3, tops.

Eh, I'd just rather get a legit star OFer versus some marginal upgrade from below average to average.

I want Billy Hamilton and I think he can be had dirt cheap. Great defender and he at least runs, it'd be fun to watch. Nobody on this team gets on base as is so its not like we'd know any better.

I'm just saying you probably dont give up anything too painful to get Hamilton. The Sox aren't handing out $100m contracts nor should they.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 11:08 AM)
I want Billy Hamilton and I think he can be had dirt cheap. Great defender and he at least runs, it'd be fun to watch. Nobody on this team gets on base as is so its not like we'd know any better.

I'm just saying you probably dont give up anything too painful to get Hamilton. The Sox aren't handing out $100m contracts nor should they.

57 SB's and plays really good D. He had a WOBA of .251 and a wRC+ of 52 though. Yuck.

Eaton being traded; Sale on the block; Quintana being offered around, etc, etc. We will hear a lot of this during the off season . Talk show managers and GM's need to fill up their program. I guess it's what makes being a baseball fan so great. We love speculation like this. But, I talk it all with a grain of salt. Let the rumors begin!

Considering the source and Eaton being one of a few productive hitters in '15, I take this with a grain of salt. I think it's much more possible the Sox try to move Melky or Avi to fit Thompson into the lineup and even that's a stretch considering their values or lack thereof.

Eaton isn't going anywhere but hey, it beats talking about the other team that is now at home watching the post season with the rest of us.