Carlos Sanchez's 2016 Role

Jose Abreu

Where would you put Carlos Sanchez at the start of the 2016 season?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Where would you put Carlos Sanchez at the start of the 2016 season?

• Start him at 2B
    • Start him at SS
    • Put him on the bench
    • Send him to the minors
    • Trade him
    • Other

I was very impressed by Carlos Sanchez last season. He played fantastic defense, and he hit .252 after the All-Star break after a .184 start. He's still only 23, and his hitting has always been decent in the minors, so I think he may improve. Even if he doesn't, I think his defense is good enough for him to be a starter.

Other posters may not agree, though. So, where do you think Sanchez should be at the start of the 2016 season?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 24, 2015 -> 05:38 PM)
I was very impressed by Carlos Sanchez last season. He played fantastic defense, and he hit .252 after the All-Star break after a .184 start. He's still only 23, and his hitting has always been decent in the minors, so I think he may improve. Even if he doesn't, I think his defense is good enough for him to be a starter.

Other posters may not agree, though. So, where do you think Sanchez should be at the start of the 2016 season?

I would temper your .252 after AS break with he hit .323 in July-.247 in August and .171 in Sept. As the roster is now, he is the incumbent at 2nd but really for his glove. Him being in the lineup means you need offense from SS and 3B to offset. Now if he can play SS w the same defensive skill. that makes him much more valuable.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Oct 24, 2015 -> 11:51 PM)
I would temper your .252 after AS break with he hit .323 in July-.247 in August and .171 in Sept. As the roster is now, he is the incumbent at 2nd but really for his glove. Him being in the lineup means you need offense from SS and 3B to offset. Now if he can play SS w the same defensive skill. that makes him much more valuable.

Yep, your stats are way more alarming. I said put him on the bench until Micah is the latest Sox to officially flame out. Give Micah enough at bats to see if he's a bust. Although I do realize defense is important in baseball and Micah is considered lousy, right? We know Sanchez is an A-plus with the glove. At some point, though you need some hitting.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2015 -> 07:19 PM)
Yep, your stats are way more alarming. I said put him on the bench until Micah is the latest Sox to officially flame out. Give Micah enough at bats to see if he's a bust. Although I do realize defense is important in baseball and Micah is considered lousy, right? We know Sanchez is an A-plus with the glove. At some point, though you need some hitting.

Problem is Micah can't stay healthy.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Oct 24, 2015 -> 04:51 PM)

Why temper it ? Those are normal baseball stat months . 1 month way over .252, 1 month way under it and one month right about at it. He is the starter . He is way down on the list of Sox problems.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Oct 25, 2015 -> 04:54 AM)
Why temper it ? Those are normal baseball stat months . 1 month way over .252, 1 month way under it and one month right about at it. He is the starter . He is way down on the list of Sox problems.

You temper it because we did not include the preceding 2 months of .151 and .157. That means 3 months way under it. The point was hitting .252 in 2nd half was really one hot month. But I agree w so many bigger problems, 2nd base can be a 2017 problem to fix if Sanchez has another poor year at the plate.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Oct 25, 2015 -> 06:17 AM)
You temper it because we did not include the preceding 2 months of .151 and .157. That means 3 months way under it. The point was hitting .252 in 2nd half was really one hot month. But I agree w so many bigger problems, 2nd base can be a 2017 problem to fix if Sanchez has another poor year at the plate.

And we untemper it since it's his 1st exposure to MLB. He'll be fine. Love the D he'll grow with the bat.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 26, 2015 -> 08:12 AM)
Personally I hope the Sox sign Zobrist and Sanchez and Saladino split time at 3B.

Zobrist is a guy I would love the Sox to get, but there are going to be a ton of teams after him, and he'll probably cost a mint, although his play has been worth a mint for a long time.

Since 2009 he has been under a 5 WAR twice. 3.8 one year and 2.1 this year. I think he was hurt for a while this year. He really is the Jose Quintana of position players.

To me, this will be the most interesting contract this winter. Will he be paid for his sabermetric, one of the better players in baseball numbers, or will he be paid Ben Zobrist, not a name that comes to mind when you mention the top performers in baseball the last 6 or so years numbers. His age will definitely cost him some money.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (ron883 @ Oct 26, 2015 -> 08:29 AM)
I like the idea of trying avi out at 3b

I think bringing Paulie back and having him play CF would give you better results.

One guy who probably would never make a career OF a 3B is KW. The White Sox did exactly that with him, and he was a pretty decent OF IIRC. He was horrid at 3B and suddenly also couldn't hit.

Edited by Dick Allen

I've seen too many posts on this board that are similar to "move Garcia to 3B" or "move Melky to 3B"... I can only imagine how bad those defensive numbers would be. You can't just take someone and move him to 3B. The only reason people said that about Viciedo is because he was actually a third baseman when we signed him.

I like Sanchez as a guy who is going to fill an infield hole that may still exist by March.

But I don't think Sanchez is a guy who we should go into the offseason PLANNING on starting at any particular spot. I think we should be trying to find an upgrade at all three infield positions that Sanchez can play, and if we fail, Sanchez is a fine fallback plan for each.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 26, 2015 -> 08:32 AM)
I think bringing Paulie back and having him play CF would give you better results.

One guy who probably would never make a career OF a 3B is KW. The White Sox did exactly that with him, and he was a pretty decent OF IIRC. He was horrid at 3B and suddenly also couldn't hit.

I'd have him at C. He was originally a catcher after all.