Ian Desmond: Perfect Buy Low Candidate?

Dunt

QUOTE (Ballz-n-Strikes @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 11:29 PM)
3 years ago...I'd have loved him.

After ALL the NL signing FAIL.. I don't want a single thing from the NL. Nothing.

I'm with kite on this.

(And that includes Heyward).

Puig is the only one that is interesting to me....

I think Hahn could get Puig AND Cespedes if he's smart.

If we would had the right manager/coaching to deal with them, sure! Depends on who we hire for bench coach. An empty seat at this rate.

That particular combination requires dumping LaRoche and trading Quintana...so the resulting rotation would be Sale, Rodon, Danks, Erik Johnson and Turner/Montas. Playoff worthy?

Getting another starting pitcher back with Puig for Q will also cost some key prospects.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we would had the right manager/coaching to deal with them, sure! Depends on who we hire for bench coach. An empty seat at this rate.

That particular combination requires dumping LaRoche and trading Quintana...so the resulting rotation would be Sale, Rodon, Danks, Erik Johnson and Turner/Montas. Playoff worthy?

Getting another starting pitcher back with Puig for Q will also cost some key prospects.

Quintana is untouchable. Where do you get that from?

*Edit - I'm editing my OWN post. He is more valuable (arguably) than Sale. THAT is how good Q is.

Edited by Ballz-n-Strikes

QUOTE (Ballz-n-Strikes @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 11:42 PM)
Quintana is untouchable. Where do you get that from?

*Edit - I'm editing my OWN post. He is more valuable (arguably) than Sale. THAT is how good Q is.

I love Quintana, but have to fully disagree here. Don't see an argument for how Quintana is more valuable than Sale.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 1, 2015 -> 08:19 AM)
Re: Puig. I think Mattingly was fed up with him. New Manager might feel differently.

unless that new manager ended up being Kirk Gibson for some strange reason. I'd pay to see that inevitable brawl...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 06:20 PM)
Realistically, Alexei will be our SS next year. I really believe that. MAYBE the Sox could look at Desmond at 3rd, but I don't see us spending big money on a new SS, with bigger holes at 3B and C.

I agree that Ramirez will most likely be back at SS for the Sox. Third base is a spot to look at a free agent or trade candidate, but I am not sure Desmond is the guy. Is he someone we have to pay $15M for? If so forget it IMO

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 04:07 PM)
if management thinks he can play 3b, they why not??

Because you would give up a draft pick for him and he's never played 3B in the MLB.

If I'm giving up a draft pick, give me Upton and Heyward who are more advanced offensively and even defensively.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 11:12 PM)
Because you would give up a draft pick for him and he's never played 3B in the MLB.

If I'm giving up a draft pick, give me Upton and Heyward who are more advanced offensively and even defensively.

logically you are correct .

howver with the outfield really not needing a player, and the sox really need a 3b.

however in essence, we as fans do not have all the necessary info that the pro's have, they may have some info that may change everything .

however, it is not likely to happen.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 10:07 PM)
if management thinks he can play 3b, they why not??

It's always a crap shoot for sure. Looking at his past history he has had some real decent years. But, losing a draft choice and spending lots of money just doesn't seem to fit in with the Sox plans going forward. Plus we just haven't had good luck with hitters from the NL signing with us. But, I would then add that we have expected everyday position players to fit in the DH role where they have had no experience

Curious about people who fixate on the #narrative of the Sox continuing to fail by signing NL players who don't hit for the White Sox.

In your bizarre fever dreams, is it the wrong thing to do because:

1) National League hitters can't hit when they come to the American League

2) Players can't hit when they switch from either league to the other

3) NL players are bad when they get to the White Sox because the White Sox are uniquely cursed because they are your favorite team, and bad stuff only happens to your favorite team

4) All free agents are bad when they get to the White Sox because the White Sox are uniquely cursed because they are your favorite team, and bad stuff only happens to your favorite team

5) Adam Eaton's success with the White Sox doesn't count because it doesn't fit your #narrative

6) Adam Dunn's 41 home run season with the White Sox doesn't count because it doesn't fit your #narrative

7) Carlos Quentin's success with the White Sox doesn't count because it doesn't fit your #narrative

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 12:05 AM)
It's always a crap shoot for sure. Looking at his past history he has had some real decent years. But, losing a draft choice and spending lots of money just doesn't seem to fit in with the Sox plans going forward. Plus we just haven't had good luck with hitters from the NL signing with us. But, I would then add that we have expected everyday position players to fit in the DH role where they have had no experience

the last time i posted something like this, i was attacked by 2 #$%@ who likes to follow me. :lol:

all what you are saying is true, at least it needs to be in the equation when thinking of it. this is one of my crazy wild arse fixation on Desmond, i just thought he plays a ss position and while he may be good or not at that position, i just thought 3b may be a little easier.

I agree with Vance, the Sox should not shy away from NL hitters just because a few recent acquisitions have not worked out. That said, I've lost all interest in Desmond. Would rather go with Freese whom will not cost as much money and will not cost a pick either. Freese would buy the Sox time to develop Trey or trade for a young 3B at some point over the next few years. Not my first choice but imo, I'm not willing to give a pick for Desmond nor do I have the desire to give up top prospects for Frazier.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 06:42 PM)
Why give up assets whereas Saladino or resigning Alexei could produce the same if not more than Aybar?

I'm all for playing Saladino.

It doesn't seem to sit well with anyone else.

Aybar is terrible...he should be had for basically zilch, unless the Braves just want to hang on until July, pray he has a good first half. The Braves have been willing to suck up salary as they rebuild...they are a little different than most in that regard.

Alexei moving on was the first step in de-clowning this team. He needs to stay away. Let him go, please.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 06:44 PM)

Aybar is terrible...he should be had for basically zilch, unless the Braves just want to hang on until July, pray he has a good first half. The Braves have been willing to suck up salary as they rebuild...they are a little different than most in that regard.

Alexei moving on was the first step in de-clowning this team. He needs to stay away. Let him go, please.

I'm down with this until Anderson is ready.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 06:44 PM)

I'm not advocating trading for Aybar but he is far from terrible. But I get it, you have heard his name before so he is a hero

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 12:36 AM)
I agree with Vance, the Sox should not shy away from NL hitters just because a few recent acquisitions have not worked out. That said, I've lost all interest in Desmond. Would rather go with Freese whom will not cost as much money and will not cost a pick either. Freese would buy the Sox time to develop Trey or trade for a young 3B at some point over the next few years. Not my first choice but imo, I'm not willing to give a pick for Desmond nor do I have the desire to give up top prospects for Frazier.

excellent pov.... i am sold.

scratched my post on Desmond.