The 40-man, Rule 5, and roster decisions

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 06:28 PM)
Isn't Rosario a terrible defensive catcher?

Lol, yes he is! Read something about him being one of the worst pitch framers in baseball. Even still, I like his bat and as someone else said, he could serve as a DH platoon with LaRoche. If his power returns he could become the full time DH after LaRoche is gone.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 03:06 PM)
I don't get the point of Brennan unless they know something we dont.

I was wondering about that too, and the only thing I can think is, they sniffed something in Arizona. Lots of scouts down there, maybe they got word teams were on him.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 07:26 PM)
Per @MLBPipeline, highly ranked Rule 5-eligible #WhiteSox prospects NOT added to 40-man: Ps Onelki Garcia, Myles Jaye, 1B Keon Barnum.

https://twitter.com/philgrogers/status/667868208834154498

Jaye was on the fence for me. He's a significant prospect, but he was in AA and was pretty inconsistent there.

Barnum: a 1B with one tool, power, who hasn't hit more than 9 home runs, or played above Advanced A ball? 40-man protection isn't so much about prospect value as claim risk, which are not the same.

Garcia has some intrigue, but he got beat up pretty badly at AA and AAA last year. LAD had waived him last offseason, and he's only gotten worse since, so I don't see it. But, hey, once-highly-touted lefty is a good profile to have going into Rule 5. So maybe.

Some names are shocking but what's cool is this whole process reveals just how little we as fans know about any of these prospects. All we can do is look at milb stats which clearly should be taken with a tiny grain of salt. The tiniest grain of salt but it's hard for us because that's all we have to go on. Clearly these dudes are each working on very specific parts of their games at all times, which is the only way to make it to the show. Sure guys like Schwarber come along and dominate the minors, but most guys have to work on individual parts. So cool and humbling to not know anything, and while these lists are shocking, the White Sox and other teams spent countless man-hours figuring out who to protect.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 07:19 PM)
LJ Hoes is another semi interesting name DFA'd...25 and hit .295/.383/.400 in almost 500 AAA PA's this year with 26 steals. .299/.388/.399 in 1300+ total PA's in AAA.

That's who we shoukd be all over. Not some catcher who can't catch. Astros have massive depth in B level prospects. They've already given away two good players in Martinez and De shields

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 21, 2015 -> 02:19 AM)
LJ Hoes is another semi interesting name DFA'd...25 and hit .295/.383/.400 in almost 500 AAA PA's this year with 26 steals. .299/.388/.399 in 1300+ total PA's in AAA.

yeah it would be a nice gamble. isn't the selection or the draft is determine but the same order of the draft???

so if i am right, the sox will select #10.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 21, 2015 -> 08:01 AM)
Doesn't he have another year left before he is Rule 5 eligible?

Yea, he does. He is the same boat as Hawkins (2012 HS draftee), and Hawkins is certainly not on the 40-man roster or eligible for the Rule 5 Draft.

Edited by maggsmaggs

T.J. Rivera of the Mets is pretty interesting to me. Experience at second, short and third, light bat but has hit at every level in the minors, doesn't strike out a lot and gets on base at a nice clip. Downside is that hes already 27. Kind of odd he never got a shot with the Mets. Maybe they're hoping he can slide through the draft? I think someone would definitely take him as a backup infielder at least.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 21, 2015 -> 12:47 PM)
By any chance, is there going to be a write-up of potential Rule 5 guys who were left off their respective team's 40 man rosters?

Hoes was DFA'd. He won't be in the rule 5 draft, but he can be claimed on waivers...if he makes it to the Sox.

Edit: well I suppose he COULD be in the rule 5 draft, but since he was DFA, he will very likely be acquired by another team well before then.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 21, 2015 -> 08:01 AM)
Doesn't he have another year left before he is Rule 5 eligible?

No he does not, because he was 19 when he signed. If he was 18 when he signed like Hawkins, he'd have another year.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 21, 2015 -> 12:47 PM)
By any chance, is there going to be a write-up of potential Rule 5 guys who were left off their respective team's 40 man rosters?

We (FutureSox) will do a Rule 5 preview focused on White Sox needs and risks. But Baseball America does some really good in-depth reporting on key available guys prior to the Rule 5 that I recommend reading as well.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 22, 2015 -> 08:38 PM)
No he does not, because he was 19 when he signed. If he was 18 when he signed like Hawkins, he'd have another year.

You are correct. He (Barnum) was 19, born in Jan of '93. Still, can't see anyone signing him and keeping him on ML roster.

Edited by oldsox