2015 MLB Offseason activity thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am really trying to understand the love out there for Alex Gordon. He is going to be 32 next season and he is looking to be getting superstar money next season right? He hasn't really put up superstar numbers as far as I can tell. He was good last season no doubt but I can see him being one of the next contracts that someone is going to regret.

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 6, 2015 -> 03:41 PM)
I am really trying to understand the love out there for Alex Gordon. He is going to be 32 next season and he is looking to be getting superstar money next season right? He hasn't really put up superstar numbers as far as I can tell. He was good last season no doubt but I can see him being one of the next contracts that someone is going to regret.

He's a very, very good defender and doesn't really have any offensive weaknesses. I do agree that with his age he likely won't be worth the money. Heyward is basically Gordon except 6 years younger.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Nov 6, 2015 -> 04:32 PM)
He's a very, very good defender and doesn't really have any offensive weaknesses. I do agree that with his age he likely won't be worth the money. Heyward is basically Gordon except 6 years younger.

Nor is Heyward worth twice as much, especially because he'll also receive those favorable opt out clauses.

Imo, the bigggest fool's gold/paying for offensive potential that likely will never be realized example on the market. Even more than Price and Cueto on the pitching side.

Not that it will happen, but taking two of Gordon, Cespedes, Chris Davis, Zimmermann, Cueto, Zobrist (shorter term obviously) or Upton vs. one of those three (or Greinke) is almost always the more pragmatic Cost/Benefit Analysis play. But the White Sox won't be playing that game.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Nov 6, 2015 -> 04:32 PM)

Except for the fact his OPS numbers each year are 100-150 points lower than he was originally projected at.

He's not that guy who hits 30-40 bombs or a future/potential superstar. He's a very, very fine all-around player, but worth $200 million? Not to the Sox.

Byung-ho Park - 1B - Player

The Nexen Heroes of the Korean Baseball Organization have accepted a posting fee of $12.85 million for the right to negotiate with Byung-Ho Park.

The club, which had yet to be named, now has a 30-day window to work out a deal with the Korean slugger. After the recent success of Jung-Ho Kang making a smooth transition from the KBO, Park could be an interesting fantasy option depending on where he lands.

Source: Han Lee on TwitterNov 6 - 7:03 PM

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 02:33 PM)
Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 1h1 hour ago

Kenta Maeda is likely to be posted by Hiroshima, one #MLB team executive said today, but a final decision has not been made. @FOXSports

Hope the Sox make a run at him

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 02:35 PM)
Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 2h2 hours ago

All Star CF Michael Brantley out for 5-6 months with shoulder surgery, #Indians announce

Is he going to be Sizemore all over again?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 04:48 PM)
Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst 32m32 minutes ago

Other clubs say #Marlins are floating Marcell Ozuna's name but only want to deal him for a No. 2-type starter. Tough sell after last year

Lol yeah right. At best, I think they can fetch a back end rotation type guy.

Really sad news. Former Sox minor leaguer Tommy Hanson is in a coma in a local Atlanta hospital.

Zach Klein ‏@ZachKleinWSB 15m15 minutes ago

Per multiple sources, former #Braves pitcher Tommy Hanson is in a coma at local Atl. hospital. Working to get more details

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 6, 2015 -> 02:30 PM)
No QO for David Freese. 2 WAR 3B. Not sure what the cost will be.

Maybe $10 million a year for 2-3 years. He might be worth a gamble, although you shouldn't expect anything more than league average offense and a decent glove. It's not ideal out of your 3B, but it's a huge upgrade over the alternatives for us.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/baseball/7/71/...-spending-spree

And the idea of signing Price plus another big-ticket free agent? Or Zack Greinke and a second big guy?

“If we want to do two things, we have to get pretty creative. Even if we want to do one really big thing, we have to get creative,” said Epstein, who for the second straight November ruled out multiple nine-figure signings.

The Cubs had about $100 million each of the last two years to spend on major-league payroll – with $120 million in effective spending in 2015 because of $20 million carried over from 2014 savings.

The final numbers aren’t in on the 2016 payroll budget yet, but the ceiling appears to be around $130 million – with more than $100 million already committed, depending on how many arbitration-eligible players they keep and how many free agent bullpen guys (Trevor Cahill, Fernando Rodney, etc.) they keep.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 01:44 PM)
I would have thought the ceiling would be much higher. Price alone would cause them to hit that ceiling, which makes me think they won't be pushing hard for him.

Agreed. With their surplus of prospects and position players I think you see the Cubs target someone like Tyson Ross or Carlos Carrasco who are really good pitchers and still have a good amount of team control left rather than spend $25 mil+ on Greinke or Price.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 12:49 PM)
Agreed. With their surplus of prospects and position players I think you see the Cubs target someone like Tyson Ross or Carlos Carrasco who are really good pitchers and still have a good amount of team control left rather than spend $25 mil+ on Greinke or Price.

I think they'll sign David Price and Denard Span and then trade for young controlled pitching.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 12:44 PM)
I would have thought the ceiling would be much higher. Price alone would cause them to hit that ceiling, which makes me think they won't be pushing hard for him.

Personally, I think that article is full of s***. Their ceiling isn't $130 million unless ownership is putting $100 million into their pockets. The profited $70 million in 2014, and the number 2015 will be even bigger.