Should the White Sox and Atlanta talk trade?

Whisox05

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 15, 2015 -> 07:22 PM)
Who else do you think will be available? Besides Freeman (probably their best asset), Swisher and Bourn (wouldn't get much back)? Maybin? Some of their young starters in the MLB already to make room for guys just stock piled for?

The article along with others out there are saying anyone that's owed some good amount of money is available

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 16, 2015 -> 01:11 AM)
Hector Olivera could make more sense than either of the aforementioned targets if the Sox have liked what they have seen from him. He's an older Cuban defector who plays 2B and 3B. He missed a lot of last year with Tommy John surgery. He's owed 34.5 million over the next six years. Not endorsing it just mentioning it.

That would be a horrible pick up.

As Vince Vaughn said in the wonderful second season of True Detective, "Never take on somebody else's burden."

Olivera is over 30 and I have serious doubts about his elbow. This is the type of player that the Sox should stay away from.

Unless the Sox bump the payroll,I don't see how they could take on Freeman. 2017-2021 Freeman will be earning 20M+ per season. Going by Hahn's recent comments, Freeman is not the type of players the Sox are looking to add. Plus, I'm not overly impressed with Freeman's numbers as a 1B. I'd pass.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 16, 2015 -> 01:46 PM)
I'd be ok with it. Don't know what his value is though. I did however read that the Braves may have to deal him if no one will take Bourn or Swisher.

plus for some unknown reason, they are having a mini fire sale.

I don't think the two teams match up well. The Sox could check in on Betancourt to see if Atlanta has given up on him, other than that they don't have much (now) that would fit this roster and would be worth the cost. I wish the Sox would have gotten involved on Simmons, I feel like they could have matched that return and locked up a good young player for a while.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 16, 2015 -> 08:58 AM)
plus for some unknown reason, they are having a mini fire sale.

They are cutting their payroll way down and trying to build up their prospect base for when they move into their new stadium in a couple years, then there plan is to spend a bunch of money to fill in around the prospects they are acquiring so they can compete immediately when they move in there.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 16, 2015 -> 05:28 PM)
I don't think the two teams match up well. The Sox could check in on Betancourt to see if Atlanta has given up on him, other than that they don't have much (now) that would fit this roster and would be worth the cost. I wish the Sox would have gotten involved on Simmons, I feel like they could have matched that return and locked up a good young player for a while.

i agree.....

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 16, 2015 -> 05:30 PM)
They are cutting their payroll way down and trying to build up their prospect base for when they move into their new stadium in a couple years, then there plan is to spend a bunch of money to fill in around the prospects they are acquiring so they can compete immediately when they move in there.

smart move

But they ought to hang on to Freeman.

Astros and Cubs didn't cut much of their good young talent. Just the old and the lousy young.

Cubs kept Rizzo and Astros kept Altuve. The good young player either dispatched that I can recall was Pence.

Both were helped with early picks; but the Cubs invested a ton internationally and the Astros struck gold with a lot of later picks.

I just checked out Bethancourt. He has Leury offensive numbers.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Nov 16, 2015 -> 10:46 PM)
why are the Braves so poverty stricken? yes, they sucked, but they have a huge fanbase throughout the south. Atlanta is a big TV market. ???

this is a multi move of sort.

1. they are using the cost of diminishing theory. get rid of players who are going into the arb yrs, for prospects

2. cut down payroll to really the bare minimum that is allowable per the CBA.

3. keeping getting high draft picks.

4. keep the news out there for the fan base to understand..... there is now Atl AL team, so they are the only game in town.

Edited by LDF