Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 09:55 PM)
If you want to trade for a cleanup hitter without "giving up much," you're going to be disappointed in who we would get.

If you can get Dodgers to pay for half of Ethier's deal, I would rather have a platoon with him and Raburn than spending 100 mil on Cespedes

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 03:13 PM)
There's been a ton of smoke on him being a personality issue.

I just can't believe Upton isn't getting more play from other teams. Been a very weird FA.

According to Tampa Tribune, Rays are interested in Upton or Desmond if it is a 1 year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 02:59 PM)
If you can get Dodgers to pay for half of Ethier's deal, I would rather have a platoon with him and Raburn than spending 100 mil on Cespedes

Yes, however if the Sox don't ask for money, perhaps it wouldn't take much in talent, going back to the Dodgers.

A couple of years at $17.5 million shouldn't break the bank.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 03:07 PM)
Yes, however if the Sox don't ask for money, perhaps it wouldn't take much in talent, going back to the Dodgers.

A couple of years at $17.5 million shouldn't break the bank.

Dodgers keep getting pitching. Maybe we can swap Danks lol

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 02:55 PM)
It's strange as the more I read about Cespedes, the more I want nothing to do with him from the Sox standpoint. Sox aren't going to outbid everyone else on a short deal and I agree with them that anything more than 3 is too much.

I think 4 guaranteed would be the max. Something like 6 with mutual or team options would be fine but no more than 4 guaranteed.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 09:57 PM)
I don't buy it. Now if Seinfeld comes out and says the Mets are signing Cespedes, that's a different story!

One thing to note is King was at the Baseball Scouts dinner event last night. Makes you wonder if someone tipped him off after a few drinks.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 03:32 PM)
One thing to note is King was at the Baseball Scouts dinner event last night. Makes you wonder if someone tipped him off after a few drinks.

I did not know that and it definitely makes ya wonder. Although, coming from a long time Dodger fan, it makes me wonder if he's just messing with Mets fans. Still, interesting.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 04:32 PM)
Peter Gammons ‏@pgammo 2m2 minutes ago

Thrice today I had execs say "watch the Astros on Cespedes." 5th best HR park in MLB in '15. Good lineup. OK, I'm watching

https://twitter.com/pgammo

I'm not sure if I buy this one....definitely not the Larry King tweet

Wonder what would happen then. Trade Gomez and play Rasmus in CF?

If the Astros signed Cespedes, wouldn't their outfield consist of 3 of Cespedes, Gomes, Springer and Tucker?

If so, wouldn't you assume that Gomez would be the guy they would be most interested in trading? He only has one

year left on his contract, at $9 million. I think Rasmus would also be behind Cespedes, Springer and Tucker.

Does that sound right to you guys?

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 05:14 PM)
Regardless, Cespedes isn't taking a backloaded deal.

Why exactly not? Deferred payments as well.

Dollars are dollars. Myself and anyone here would be more than happy to get paid ~1-3 mil for 10 years when I wasnt working. If he's gonna sign for that much there is no difference.

QUOTE (staxx @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 05:30 PM)
Why exactly not? Deferred payments as well.

Dollars are dollars. Myself and anyone here would be more than happy to get paid ~1-3 mil for 10 years when I wasnt working. If he's gonna sign for that much there is no difference.

Deferred dollars are worth less due to inflation. Rich people worry about stuff like that.

Good grief how many outfielders does Houston need, lol? Rasmus, Gomez, Springer, Tucker, Marisnick and Aplin is what Houston currently has and now potentially add Cespedes to the mix? Not sure what to think but signing Cespedes and using a few young outfielders in a trade for a pitcher would make some sense. As someone already mentioned, Cleveland would make sense as a Houston trade partner.

The Cespedes rumors just keep getting more and more interesting as time goes on.