Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

I will say this much if we somehow end of signing YO I will buy partial season tickets within hours of the signing. I know people say that all the time but that heart of the lineup will be something come summer on the south side. I will be as excited as just about any other signing the sox have made with the exception of when we actually landed Abreu.

🇨🇺🇨🇺🇨🇺🇨🇺🇨🇺🇨🇺🇨🇺

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 09:28 AM)
I will say this much if we somehow end of signing YO I will buy partial season tickets within hours of the signing. I know people say that all the time but that heart of the lineup will be something come summer on the south side. I will be as excited as just about any other signing the sox have made with the exception of when we actually landed Abreu.

🇨🇺🇨🇺🇨🇺🇨🇺🇨🇺🇨🇺🇨🇺

That ought to cover it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 09:29 AM)
That ought to cover it.

I used to have season tickets for 20 years but the past few seasons it's be a hard sell to get my business partners to go in on Sox tickets. Customers don't get excited about the Sox anymore so they decided to go in on Cubs tickets. I don't have the time to go to all the home games although I would if I could. But if more fans bought any kind of season tickets it does help. It'll also help if they start fast and create a buzz early in the season to help fill the stadium.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 09:31 AM)
Cant help think how signing Yoenis means we'd still have a bad LH bat problem....and we'd be still suffering from a scary OBP problem.

Cespedes hits RHP better than lefties. I think he was over .300 lasts season against RHP. The splits have been posted before.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 09:31 AM)
Cant help think how signing Yoenis means we'd still have a bad LH bat problem....and we'd be still suffering from a scary OBP problem.

That's what scares me the most, no one in the lineup save for Eaton and Abreu can get on base. It would be a solo homer happy team.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 09:33 AM)
Cespedes hits RHP better than lefties. I think he was over .300 lasts season against RHP. The splits have been posted before.

Abreu has also had a >.900 OPS against RHP last year, hitting LHP was a much bigger problem in 2015.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 09:32 AM)
I used to have season tickets for 20 years but the past few seasons it's be a hard sell to get my business partners to go in on Sox tickets. Customers don't get excited about the Sox anymore so they decided to go in on Cubs tickets. I don't have the time to go to all the home games although I would if I could. But if more fans bought any kind of season tickets it does help. It'll also help if they start fast and create a buzz early in the season to help fill the stadium.

I had full season tickets for the longest time but my ticket partner and friend died in an accident a few years ago, so I didn't want to make that commitment anymore. I have a weekend plan and go with my wife the last several years. She doesn't get into it much but puts up with it for me. But they probably don't have the phone lines it would require to open the amount of season ticket accounts that would actually pay for Cespedes. Like they didn't last year when they added players. It's an ongoing process. Every account helps, but most of what is dropped isn't their most lucrative accounts. It's the people with the $200 per seat corner upper deck plans that are the first to jump ship.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 09:37 AM)
I was just responding to the comment saying we would still have a LH bat problem after signing Cespedes. Typically LHH don't hit LHP very well.

I know I was just adding on to your comment. I agree that the lack of LH bats is a bit overblown.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 09:37 AM)
I had full season tickets for the longest time but my ticket partner and friend died in an accident a few years ago, so I didn't want to make that commitment anymore. I have a weekend plan and go with my wife the last several years. She doesn't get into it much but puts up with it for me. But they probably don't have the phone lines it would require to open the amount of season ticket accounts that would actually pay for Cespedes. Like they didn't last year when they added players. It's an ongoing process. Every account helps, but most of what is dropped isn't their most lucrative accounts. It's the people with the $200 per seat corner upper deck plans that are the first to jump ship.

I hear what you're saying. It just would be nice to be a wining team again and reward the FO if they were to sign someone like Cespedes by filling the stadium all summer. But in order for casual fans to make the trip to the South Side requires our team to perform. The more times they take jumps and sign people like Cabrea, Robertson, Laroach, and hopefully YO and we stink and fans don't show up, the less likely we continue to get JR and the board to agree to spending the money.

I hope the FO sees this as a chance to really drum up excitement going into 2016. I would assume they know basically their entire fanbase has been hooked on the big three for months and not getting one of them will seriously kill the momentum from the Fraizee and Lawrie deals. Sox fest will be spent answering questions why they didn't commit more money or years and really go all in to sign one of them.

I think they know the fans want something done but I don't think Upton or Cespedes fits into what we are willing to spend. And people are going to be dosappointedZ

I too have had some sort of partial plan since graduating college. Have done it for 7 years now, but this year was going to be my first to sit on the sidelines. Too easy to buy a ticket day of and sit relatively almost anywhere. (Now I'm not saying I approve of this, one year I did have 5th row behind the dugout and when people were sitting in seats that I paid for with my own money I'd get upset)

Old hockey trick: go on ticketmaster or stubhub app 30 mins before the game - now that they have the specific seat map, you can see which are unsold. Just pick the best ones and sit there. Don't have to worry about taking anybody's seats that way.

I guess I'm off topic. All I'm saying is if the Sox sign Cespedes or Upton, I'd be in for a 14 game plan.

5yr/110mm. I've been a proponent of that since 6 weeks ago. Same thing with Gordon I said I'd just go 4yr, 84mm. I'd rather have less of a commitment and high AAV.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 09:46 AM)
Sox need to get this done.

I didn't like the Frazier trade in concept or execution.

But given that they made the deal for 2 years of Frazier, they've got to top it off with another big hitter to make a real swing at the playoffs.

I agree, except that I liked the Frazier deal. But, yes, the Sox need to add another big bat. Otherwise, the Frazier deal is puzzling. I would hope/think that the Sox have some groundwork laid for Cespedes.