Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 06:40 PM)
I gotta give you credit, I really admire your optimism.

I really hope the Sox get something done because I think the acquisition of Cespedes would rejuvenate the fanbase a bit.

I'm more worried about the Nats then Detroit the price on Cespy would have to come down way lower than even the sox are offering imo. The Nats were in on Heyward outside of us, Balt, or LAA they worry me the most

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 06:40 PM)
I gotta give you credit, I really admire your optimism.

I really hope the Sox get something done because I think the acquisition of Cespedes would rejuvenate the fanbase a bit.

I'm more worried about the Nats then Detroit the price on Cespy would have to come down way lower than even the sox are offering imo. The Nats were in on Heyward outside of us, Balt, or LAA they worry me the most

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 06:44 PM)

They wanted Heyward to play CF though. If they were to sign Cespedes, no way they put him in CF, unless they move Harper there, but I don't think they want to do that.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 04:52 PM)
Has there been any real reports about that? I've heard he's not real keen on the Sox, but I think I just read that here. Not sure why he'd prefer Baltimore to Chicago.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 04:54 PM)
He's from Virginia.

I believe Camden Yards is one of the top 3 hitter's parks in MLB as well. If either guy is thinking of a shorter term deal they could probably put up better #s in Baltimore and then bank on a bigger payday in a few years.

The White Sox are posturing guys. I think they are in a good spot too. If they really want him on a 4 year deal it does them no good to leak out that they want a 4th year. Allows someone else to swoop in and go 5. I think the White Sox are the favorites for Cespedes. I could be wrong. I won't be joining the freakout though until I know for sure that Avi is the starting RF.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 06:16 PM)
Taylor is starting in CF in the same way Avi is in RF for the Sox.

Forget the hype and read the stats sheet. Not a pretty picture.

So you pretty confirmed what I said in that the Nat's are looking for a CF and likely not interested in Cespedes. They have been linked to Parra in more ways than one which only reaffirms their interest in upgrading CF. Parra hits RHP, Taylor hits LHP.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 06:37 PM)
I still don't see the Tigers as a huge threat given they have no history of willing to go over the tax limit, and any big deal with Cespedes puts them way over for several seasons in a row, with the penalty going up every year. I think we could outbid them if it came down to it.

Yep, you got it. IMO, Detroit is a minor threat that ends up signing one of the 2nd tier free agents, if they sign anyone at all. Another point to keep in mind is if they push to close to the luxury tax threshold it could limit their financial flexibility for mid-season trades.

If you're Cespedes, and you're getting the same offer from the White Sox and Nationals...where would you go?

You can play in the nation's capital with one of the two true superstars in the game on what everyone considers a playoff contender versus a White Sox team that's somewhere between 3rd (optimistic) and last (pessimistic) right now out of a 5 team division. You're also even more confident in the NL East than the AL, where you now have a proven track record and just put up near MVP numbers. You've also got two "dead in water" franchises in the Braves and Phillies to pick apart offensively.

The White Sox would probably have to overpay by at least 5% to get it done, if not 10%.

Same thing with returning to the Tigers...unless the draw of being paired with Abreu is truly that enticing.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 04:32 PM)
So let's narrow it down: CWS, BAL. DET sitting back along with LAA. I still like our chances. Baltimore is bringing back Davis. I think LA gets Upton. To me it's down to CWS and DET and this is why they're being patient.

Whose to say the market value isn't to the point that the Yankees or Red Sox don't decide to pick up the phone? While I think the above teams cover the large percentage, I think the actual field of potential suitors is still larger.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 07:18 PM)
If you're Cespedes, and you're getting the same offer from the White Sox and Nationals...where would you go?

You can play in the nation's capital with one of the two true superstars in the game on what everyone considers a playoff contender versus a White Sox team that's somewhere between 3rd (optimistic) and last (pessimistic) right now out of a 5 team division. You're also even more confident in the NL East than the AL, where you now have a proven track record and just put up near MVP numbers. You've also got two "dead in water" franchises in the Braves and Phillies to pick apart offensively.

The White Sox would probably have to overpay by at least 5% to get it done, if not 10%.

Same thing with returning to the Tigers...unless the draw of being paired with Abreu is truly that enticing.

Why do you post on a White Sox message board?

Edited by Dick Allen

Let's also look at the marketing side of this.

If you're Upton and Cespedes, and you feel you're a superstar, playing on the East Coast with the Nats, the Orioles, the Red Sox (although there was a rough parting there), the Yankees, maybe the Cards (winning tradition), the Tigers...

Which one will give you the most media exposure and opportunities to supplement your endorsement income?

Let's face it, right now Chicago is locked down barring a huge breakout from the Sox with Cubs mania/Cubs Nation/W flags.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 07:24 PM)
Let's also look at the marketing side of this.

If you're Upton and Cespedes, and you feel you're a superstar, playing on the East Coast with the Nats, the Orioles, the Red Sox (although there was a rough parting there), the Yankees, maybe the Cards (winning tradition), the Tigers...

Which one will give you the most media exposure and opportunities to supplement your endorsement income?

Let's face it, right now Chicago is locked down barring a huge breakout from the Sox with Cubs mania/Cubs Nation/W flags.

Cespedes barely speaks English. I doubt he is looking for huge marketing opportunities, and frankly very few baseball players have them, but never mind that,. The White Sox are hopeless.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 07:22 PM)
Why do you post on a White Sox message board?

Is it better if I naively cheerlead with all my posts that we actually are going to get Cespedes or Upton?

You'll notice that most of the mods aren't getting overly optimistic either...

So you're on record as being how confident that we sign either or them?

You'll notice that many times in the last few weeks I've put forth alternative/Plan B scenarios in anticipation. There's nothing wrong with the fallback options if you can find the right values.

That's going to remove some of the sex appeal or marketing sizzle but it's the more pragmatic approach unless the contract terms are reasonable. Usually in FA they're not, as we learned last off-season.

PS: In the end, I'm sure every agent like Jay-Z looks at the tv and radio ratings and considers the White Sox 30th place standing in those two categories a positive for their client's endorsement potential.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 07:29 PM)
Cespedes barely speaks English. I doubt he is looking for huge marketing opportunities, and frankly very few baseball players have them, but never mind that,. The White Sox are hopeless.

Agreed and let us forget the allure of hitting at the Cell in a lineup with Frazier and fellow Cuban Jose Abreu. ;)

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 07:30 PM)
o

Is it better if I naively cheerlead with all my posts that we actually are going to get Cespedes or Upton?

You'll notice that most of the mods aren't getting overly optimistic either...

So you're on record as being how confident that we sign either or them?

You'll notice that many times in the last few weeks I've put forth alternative/Plan B scenarios in anticipation. There's nothing wrong with the fallback options if you can find the right values.

That's going to remove some of the sex appeal or marketing sizzle but it's the more pragmatic approach unless the contract terms are reasonable. Usually in FA they're not, as we learned last off-season.

what kind of extra money are baseball players making due to this marketing sizzle? Maybe link something to show us.

Let me state once again, unequivocally, my belief that Ian Desmond (or perhaps Fowler in June), one of the remaining Tier 2/3 starting pitchers and Parra/Jackson OR a trade for an outfielder that doesn't cost Anderson/Fulmer...that's the better set of options.

Two of those four. All needs being addressed is completely unrealistic. As it stands, doing more than one might be hard.

Edited by caulfield12