Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 09:22 PM)
I'm going to be there. The RH and RV town halls should have some additional security if Avi is still penciled in as the RF next week. I'm sure Robin will be asked if he has a pulse, and then Mr. Tough Guy who asks it will scurry away from the room when he does.

i normally go to the ress in ARZ for vacation. but i told my cuz that i may skip that if the sox sign some extra pieces.

so 1 part was to go to chi for sox fest, i was thinking if any of my cuz will want to come.... the other part is going to catch some real baseball games in sox park.

damn i want to sox to do something.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 03:21 PM)
i made my proposal and i was told it was non sensible or something. it might have been.

but with the minor league having J May and A Engel close to step in, and i am sorry but i think i lost faith in Hawkins.

i still see a 3-4 yr contract.

i like the fact that the sox should give a front loaded contract with a mutual option after 2 yrs. pay the $$$$ for a hitter.

The problem is a front loaded contract doesn't work with their budget. The reason they would be able to afford Cespedes is because Danks and LaRoche are off the books after this year. If they were going to offer him 2 years and then mutual options after that it would have to be fairly low value on the first year and then probably have a huge buyout if the option is declined by the Sox.

QUOTE (WSkid @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 03:15 PM)
Sadly Sox Fans remember all to well Tory Hunter all but signed and Angels came in and JR choking on his Turkey at Thanksgiving.We are being bombarded with 3 years only and we believe it because we know what it is that makes JR Shrek tick.$$$$ We are used to losing during Shrek`s reign as owner.

You do know JR does not sign players right?

My guess is Hahn has the money but does not think 5/$100M for Cespedas is worth the investment.

If he signs for 4/$80 then there can be a debate.

I want the White Sox to have a philosophy and stop with the every now and then All In mantra. You are either in or you are out as your organizational premise. Figure it out and follow through with it. Stop pissing on my shoes and telling me it is raining.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

If #Nationals structure Cespedes deal like Scherzer’s, as @jonheyman suggests, Cespedes could benefit from DC tax laws.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

No DC income tax for non-residents. Player living in tax-free state can avoid state tax on signing bonus+money deferred to post-retirement.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 10:27 PM)
You do know JR does not sign players right?

My guess is Hahn has the money but does not think 5/$100M for Cespedas is worth the investment.

If he signs for 4/$80 then there can be a debate.

I want the White Sox to have a philosophy and stop with the every now and then All In mantra. You are either in or you are out as your organizational premise. Figure it out and follow through with it. Stop pissing on my shoes and telling me it is raining.

while cespy is not my choice, i still would go 23 mil per and two yrs.... i know it may be all against the logic of this kind of deal, but the sox have to finish this project .... if not him, find some closure and go onto the second tier players.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 03:34 PM)
Conspiracy theory: The Nationals do not like someone in the White Sox front office. It started when the Sox tried to trade for Adam Dunn at the trade deadline. The Nationals are letting themselves be used to increase the price that the Sox or Mets would have to pay.

We also stole the cherished Nieto right out of their hands. The cherished.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 03:34 PM)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 22s23 seconds ago

Sources: #Nationals’ offer to Cespedes is for five years. #Mets unwilling to go beyond three. Dollars not known.

Cespedes is waiting for the last second bidder to emerge.

Sources: #Nationals’ offer to Cespedes is for five years. #Mets unwilling to go beyond three. Dollars not known.

Dollars not known. That's the key, the Orioles offered Cespedes 5 years too, remember?

The question is if Cespedes takes a higher AAV over fewer years, more years for a lesser AAV or just the most overall money? The Sox were close, the Orioles were close, now the Nationals are close. It's almost like being on the cusp of signing Yoenis Cespedes then falling back to the pack is a rite of passage to actually sign him.

BTW if I was a GM I could not take an agency named Roc Nation seriously and would constantly be holding back laughter.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 02:01 PM)
This is a good point. I would much rather hang onto Abreu long term as well. If he is arb eligible now he will be an FA during the proposed Cespedes contract. That could be the determination for the 3 year contract. Isn't that when Abreu would become an FA?

According to Baseball-reference, If Abreu doesn't opt out of his contract and apply for arbitration after this year, he is scheduled to receive $12.17M in 2017 (age 30), $13.17M (age 31) in 2018, $13.67M (age 32) in 2019, and then become a free agent prior to the 2020 season. I don't see anybody in the White Sox system that can produce as well as Abreu can, so they will be forced to pay him a huge salary - either through arbitration or through signing Abreu to a longer term deal.

Abreu might opt for arbitration after this year with thought of seeing what the new collective bargaining agreement might mean for player's salaries in the future. That's why all the free agents have been securing opt outs.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 04:34 PM)

No white sox mention? Not even a "White Sox unwilling to go beyond three"?