Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

If he clearly wanted to go to the Mets all along, they should have done their due diligence and started negotiating with Fowler, Jackson, Desmond, etc., days ago.

We'll see if that was the case or not...if they really believed they were playing poker and the market was forced in their favor or direction.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 04:22 AM)
We started buying and we didn't finish. It's that simple. Losing a pick for a mediocre Dexter Fowler won't complete that. Austin Jackson won't either. Giving up more assets to acquire a washed-up outfielder won't either.

Knowing Reinsdorf, we'll announce the signing of Austin Jackson in a few days.

Lose out on LeBron, sign Carlos Boozer.

nah man, you got the owners all wrong..... it is all about the $$$$$

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 05:24 AM)
If he clearly wanted to go to the Mets all along, they should have done their due diligence and started negotiating with Fowler, Jackson, Desmond, etc., days ago.

We'll see if that was the case or not...if they really believed they were playing poker and the market was forced in their favor or direction.

Why would any of those guys sign before Cespedes went somewhere?

Mixed feelings for me on this one.

If the deal is roughly as reported, Cespedes got just about the fair market price many experts predicted, but with the asterisk being he'll likely opt out after 1 year if he rolls out a Herculean 2016 to match his second-half of 2015. For players who like where they're at (see Alex Gordon), you need to knock out the champion (incumbent), not just beat them on points. The Sox PROBABLY offered something similar and didn't knock him out. And it sure seems that NO OTHER TEAMS tried to snag him with an above-market offer either (the Nats supposed 5 year offer supposedly have substantial deferred dollars and not likely a 1 year opt out). Bottom-line sure seems to be nobody tried too hard to lure him away from the Mets.

Personally, playing armchair GM, if I'm Hahn, I stretch to lure him away. In my opinion, the upsides of Cespedes is worth taking on risks. In theory, he solves a lot of problems and brings a dash of fear into the lineup. And we've failed the same way so often before. Maybe you fail again, but let's try something different (and to me, failing with Dunn and LaRoche are very different animals than any possible failure with Cespedes).

I hope Cespedes destroys the Cubs all season long as well, because: (1) duh, I can't stand the Cubs (more accurately, Cubs fans); and (2) I think that Cespedes might be a monster and I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox brain trust humbled a bit by not picking the low hanging fruit.

No contradictions from me -- I think the Sox decision makers do things the right way, analyze their baseball decisions, and run a professional and measured business; unfortunately, they rock in assessing quality pitching, but they are arguably horrible in analyzing the offensive game.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 08:20 PM)
Hahn said the Sox had to get creative. No way they could afford 25 million for 2016

It's $27.5 million for 2016. So he'd have to go to at least $28 million? Pass. But I am excited for some insane, hysterical rants about how Hahn DIDN'T GIT 'ER DONE!!!

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 10:26 PM)
So by that logic, they should have paid more than whatever another team offered, no matter the cost?

They could have done a Davis-like thing where they paid him a small amount every year for the next couple decades. There were ways to get it done.

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 10:24 PM)

Of course he told the sox that they weren't in it. The sox were only offering a three year deal so they weren't in it from the start.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 10:28 PM)
Let's not act like the Sox don't have any more room to add to the payroll. If we had the money to offer Tanaka in 2014, then that money didn't disappear. It's there.

Thankfully the situation is the same and they haven't spent any more money since the Tanaka offer so things are all still the same.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 08:26 PM)
I thought we were essentially a lock for at least one of the big three. We were being used.

I don't know what that means. You can't be a lock unless you outbid the other teams, and in the case of Gordon who wanted to stay, outbid by a lot. They didn't do that. That's free agency.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 10:30 PM)
Thankfully the situation is the same and they haven't spent any more money since the Tanaka offer so things are all still the same.

With LaRoche/Danks coming off the books this year, we'd save some money to be able to backload a deal. The White Sox have more than enough resources to exceed our current payroll.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 10:27 PM)
They could have done a Davis-like thing where they paid him a small amount every year for the next couple decades. There were ways to get it done.

He turned that deal down from the nationals, reportedly.

I've been pretty irrational through this process with Cespedes. Both raBBit & Y2Jimmy both know that. But, how can anyone be pissed at the Sox for how this all came together?

Gordon wanted to go back to KC, same with Cespedes in NYM, & Upton didn't want to be here & got 6 years.

What exactly was Hahn supposed to do?

Let's cool off & think rationally before blurting out some insult at the Sox organization or Hahn in general.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 10:30 PM)

Except all the free agents from last year are nevertheless a big part of the evolving pr narrative being spun for avoiding the market now...