Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 12:02 PM)
I keep saying it because it is still what I think makes the most sense, for all of the reasons which I articulated earlier. I wasn't trying to beat a dead horse, but rather simply stating that after all of the speculation, I haven't changed my mind. It's just my opinion.

I can't really believe that this organization is going to let one year's "budget restraints" dictate their chance for being competitive this year, when they have already stated that they intend to contend, and have traded several promising prospects to acquire two guys with just 2 years left, before free agency. What was the point of that, if they aren't going to try to contend?

I believe that they could figure out a way to make it work financially. What about all of this revenue that everyone keeps talking about? They know that the money for La Roche and Danks will be coming off of the books next year. That is a certainty, so there must be a way to work around that. If not, then they just have to accept that they are not only not going to be competitive, but that they will also be totally irrelevant in Chicago.

The problem with the second tier guys is that not one of them can bat between Abreu and Frazier, and Frazier's .310 OBP won't cut it, at clean up. Too many of us are focused upon an acquisition to play right field. That is only half of the equation. they need a clean up hitter. Cespedes or Upton would fill that role nicely.

You're missing my point. My guess is they'll already have to go above their budget to land one of these guys. Do you really think KW or Hahn will go Reinsdorf for even more money on top of the base cost just so they can front-load a deal to help "motivate" their biggest signing in franchise history? Reinsdorf would probably call off the deal on the spot.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 12:13 PM)
I will say, it's very weird to see the secondary market dropping into place before the top end settles.

The Angels signing Parra would be good for the Sox's chances of landing an upgrade.

Because Cespedes & Upton are both desperate for Baltimore to enter the mix to maximize their dollars. The second tier guys that are smart aren't going to wait for Davis to make up his mind or else they might be out of a multi-year job.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 12:17 PM)
You're missing my point. My guess is they'll already have to go above their budget to land one of these guys. Do you really think KW or Hahn will go Reinsdorf for even more money on top of the base cost just so they can front-load a deal to help "motivate" their biggest signing in franchise history? Reinsdorf would probably call off the deal on the spot.

I understand your point, and it is a valid concern. The Chairman of the Board may indeed balk at such a suggestion, however I still think that it is a wise direction, in which to go. But then, what the hell do I know? I'm just a fan, and he is the Chairman of the Board!!!

If they want to keep the player motivated, and have him elect to opt out, so that they don't end up having to pay for 5 or 6 years, including 1 or 2 past his prime, that is the best chance to accomplish it.

Edited by Lillian

Well, we've seen posturing by the Sox and their "3 year" stance and I feel it's likely that Cespedes and his agent are posturing on their 6/150M stance. Wherever Cespedes signs he's going to have to meet the team half way somehow.

I'd like to see the linger for a bit longer in the Cespedes/Upton talks but at some point they should call it a day and move on to other options while those options are still available. If Upton or Cespedes won't take a contract in the 3 or 4 year range with a possible vesting option, then f*** em, move on.

Edited by BlackSox13

I think now would be a great idea to simply temper expectations on what the Sox will do.

I think they upgrade at the position but may not be Cespedes or Upton. May be a 2nd level guy like Fowler, Parra, or a trade option.

Detroit is rumored to be getting more involved & frankly I think the longer this drags out, the less likely it is that they end up with the top 2.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 09:01 PM)
I think now would be a great idea to simply temper expectations on what the Sox will do.

Problem with the Tigers getting Cespedes is it could make them really good the next two years or so, which is supposedly the Sox window as well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 01:58 PM)
If the alternative was to not be connected to anyone, and recycle last years roster, I'll take some hope and let down, over depression.

Right - I guess having a lot to talk about in december was worth 6 months straight of "Sox signed Jerry Sands"

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 01:43 PM)
Well, we've seen posturing by the Sox and their "3 year" stance and I feel it's likely that Cespedes and his agent are posturing on their 6/150M stance. Wherever Cespedes signs he's going to have to meet the team half way somehow.

I'd like to see the linger for a bit longer in the Cespedes/Upton talks but at some point they should call it a day and move on to other options while those options are still available. If Upton or Cespedes won't take a contract in the 3 or 4 year range with a possible vesting option, then f*** em, move on.

At this point, I would have no problem with moving on while other options are available.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 12:05 PM)
Problem with the Tigers getting Cespedes is it could make them really good the next two years or so, which is supposedly the Sox window as well.

I don't disagree & this has been my worst fear all along. Gordon back to KC & Cespedes back to Det.

I think the Sox are on the edge of contention right now & a big add like Cespedes or Upton puts them over the top. Fowler/Parra is an upgrade but isn't as big of an impact. Overall, I think if they do choose to sign a "B" type FA, they need to put the rest of that money elsewhere. I'm worried about the back end of their rotation, too.