Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 9, 2016 -> 02:19 PM)
So you are for not negotiating. Just give them what they want or move along. You must not be married or have a girlfriend.

There are so many posts that don't seem to understand even the simplest form of negotiation. Why should Hahn present his best offer if he doesn't have to? Why should he offer 4 years if he may be able to sign him to 3?

You might think it mattered a lot in 3 years when the supposed greatest free agent class ever is out there and the Sox are sitting on the sidelines because they had to have Cespedes signed on January 9th instead of January 20th and therefore had to give him another year. If the Sox need to go 4 to get him signed, they might go 4, but until it comes time for him to choose a team, they should keep their offer at something they can sweeten if necessary.

Some are fretting the price will come down and there will be more competition, The one thing to worry more about is throw your best offer out there now and teams will have time to better it. Look at Baltimore with Davis.

I don't believe they are truly negotiating. They are offering the least with a take it or leave it attitude. It only serves to let the gullible fans believe they tried.

When was the last time the White Sox won on an in-demand free agent?

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 9, 2016 -> 01:57 PM)
Boras pitching Davis as a regular Corner OF:

https://t.co/AB8woKXQMU

If there isn't a market for Cespedes & Upton, I'm not sure how Boras thinks he'll get more than $150M for Davis by selling him as an OF. We really got to hope Boras doesn't blow this and force Baltimore to sign one the big two OFs instead.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Jan 9, 2016 -> 02:01 PM)
I don't believe they are truly negotiating. They are offering the least with a take it or leave it attitude. It only serves to let the gullible fans believe they tried.

You know what they are offering how? And if it is take it or leave it like you said, why isn't being reported they are out, because obviously it wasn't taken.

The answer to your second question is last season. Robertson was the top closer on the market. Milky turned down 4 years from KC for 3 with the Sox.

Edited by Dick Allen

This is a really bad post.

Gullible, really? Kind of ironic considering you're taking the media at their word that the Sox are sticking to three year offers on free agent's that have yet to receive more than three year offers.

To answer your question: last year when the Sox signed Robertson to a four year deal that, at the time, was considered to be alot of money for a closer.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 9, 2016 -> 01:57 PM)
Boras pitching Davis as a regular Corner OF:

https://t.co/AB8woKXQMU

I think Boras is really reaching on this, especially for a market flooded with real outfielders and shows, imo, how desperate Boras/Davis are getting due to the lack of teams interested and their stupidity in turning down Baltimore's offer.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 9, 2016 -> 02:05 PM)
You know what they are offering how? And if it is take it or leave it like you said, why isn't being reported they are out, because obviously it wasn't taken.

The answer to your second question is last season. Robertson was the top closer on the market. Milky turned down 4 years from KC for 3 with the Sox.

Just saw your post DA. Not trying to copycat you. :)

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 02:55 AM)
The pick inclusion sucks, but I'm warming to the idea of Fowler more and more. Him batting 2nd or 5th with Eaton moving over to RF. It looks like he'll have a 3/30 price tag attached to him, which is certainly manageable.

He will get way more than ten a year though. Something to keep in mind is he is way better against LHP, and he won't face that many do to the Sox having 4 of them.

Perhaps you have heard of Jose Abreu?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2016 -> 08:07 PM)
Perhaps you have heard of Jose Abreu?

Except the competition that time was limited to Colorado and Houston, from everything we know...

It's a slightly different situation now since these three can be at 3-4 positions in the line-up rather than just 1b or DH.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 9, 2016 -> 08:29 PM)
Except the competition that time was limited to Colorado and Houston, from everything we know...

It's a slightly different situation now since these three can be at 3-4 positions in the line-up rather than just 1b or DH.

Abreu had 7 or 8 teams bidding on him.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 9, 2016 -> 09:18 PM)
I believe the Red Sox had interest in him as well and had Abreu waited about a month or so, I think he would have ended up there (they were in the post season when Abreu signed so signing him really wasn't an option).

His agent said 8 teams were bidding 4 were within $5 million including Boston, who would have tried him at 3B.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 9, 2016 -> 08:29 PM)

Colorado, Houston, Giants, Red Sox, Rangers, Marlins, Indians.

I saw a post on Twitter that was interesting and could possibly be true.

It said something along the lines of that the Sox are waiting until SoxFest to announce an acquisition to try to garner more interest in the event itself.

I don't know if it's true or not, but it does seem like the Sox usually announce something big at that time.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 9, 2016 -> 09:29 PM)
I saw a post on Twitter that was interesting and could possibly be true.

It said something along the lines of that the Sox are waiting until SoxFest to announce an acquisition to try to garner more interest in the event itself.

I don't know if it's true or not, but it does seem like the Sox usually announce something big at that time.

I'd be shocked the Sox would be able to keep a tight lip for 2 1/2 more weeks if they signed a player like Cespedes.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jan 9, 2016 -> 09:30 PM)
I'd be shocked the Sox would be able to keep a tight lip for 2 1/2 more weeks if they signed a player like Cespedes.

Honestly I wouldn't. There has been a ton of movement on OFs which makes me think teams know where players are going. Unlikely but not impossible.