Who will be the first domino to fall of the Big Three?

Kyyle23

Choose who you think will be first to sign  

40 members have voted

1. 1. The Contenders

• Alex Gordon
    • Yoenis Cespedes
    • Justin Upton

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 19, 2015 -> 09:35 PM)
I also think Gordon goes first, but there's no chance it's with the Cubs. They are done with big free agents.

I don't know, the rumors are they are looking for another OF and SP. I'm guessing they sign Gordon and trade for another pitcher. I think they can get Gordon to bite on 3 year contract with a 4th year option. The cubs made it to the NLCS so that could be enticing to Gordon.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 19, 2015 -> 09:40 PM)
I don't know, the rumors are they are looking for another OF and SP. I'm guessing they sign Gordon and trade for another pitcher. I think they can get Gordon to bite on 3 year contract with a 4th year option. The cubs made it to the NLCS so that could be enticing to Gordon.

The Cubs are finally low on cash and if they add an OF, it will be a CF with Heyward moving to RF. Gordon just doesn't make any sense for them right now. The Cardinals are far more likely.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 19, 2015 -> 09:40 PM)

No way they have enough money left, and if they sign Gordon where does Schwarber play?

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 19, 2015 -> 11:29 PM)
No way they have enough money left, and if they sign Gordon where does Schwarber play?

Yes, Schwarber is the complication, unless they put Heyward in center and Gordon in right, and trade a few of the surplus - Baez and Soler, I guess. I can't see the Cubs paying Gordon all that money to disrupt the roster.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 19, 2015 -> 11:29 PM)

Yes, Schwarber is the complication, unless they put Heyward in center and Gordon in right, and trade a few of the surplus - Baez and Soler, I guess. I can't see the Cubs paying Gordon all that money to disrupt the roster.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 19, 2015 -> 09:51 PM)
The Cubs are finally low on cash and if they add an OF, it will be a CF with Heyward moving to RF. Gordon just doesn't make any sense for them right now. The Cardinals are far more likely.

No doubt they are low on cash but in their eyes they are close to being a WS team so I'm guessing they go for it. The Sox are currently at their speculated limit and coming off a down season with bad attendance, yet are rumored to be interested in Upton and Cespedes. When the Sox and cubs front offices say they are out of money or at their limits, I take it with a grain of salt.

As for Schwarber. The cubs have said they are considering moving him back to catcher. Otherwise they leave him in LF, stick with their plan of Heyward in CF and move Solar for a pitcher and play Gordon in RF.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 19, 2015 -> 11:25 PM)
No doubt they are low on cash but in their eyes they are close to being a WS team so I'm guessing they go for it. The Sox are currently at their speculated limit and coming off a down season with bad attendance, yet are rumored to be interested in Upton and Cespedes. When the Sox and cubs front offices say they are out of money or at their limits, I take it with a grain of salt.

As for Schwarber. The cubs have said they are considering moving him back to catcher. Otherwise they leave him in LF, stick with their plan of Heyward in CF and move Solar for a pitcher and play Gordon in RF.

They may move him back to catcher eventually, but Ross and Montero are both on the roster still, and they want to keep Schwarbers bat in the lineup as much as possible

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 19, 2015 -> 11:25 PM)

The Cubs have the largest debt load in baseball and are owned by a group of trust fund babies. While they'll very likely have a larger payroll, they have much less flexibility than us. When they reach their budget, they pretty much have to stop. On the other hand, Reinsdorf's group is able to expand payroll if needed as they can go into the red if they like. Obviously none of us know either team's budget for 2016, but everything in the media (including Theo's interview today) suggests the Cubs are done with big ticket items.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 19, 2015 -> 11:28 PM)
They may move him back to catcher eventually, but Ross and Montero are both on the roster still, and they want to keep Schwarbers bat in the lineup as much as possible

I don't think the cubs really know what they are going to do with Schwarber. The cubs have said they would consider moving Schwarber back to catcher, they have said they plan to use Heyward in CF and the cubs are rumored to be interested in moving Soler for a pitcher. I'm just guessing at playing connect the dots. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Gordon to the cubs is a sure bet ( I like my house) ;), just guessing based on things they have said.

One thing seems pretty clear. The market for Upton, Cespedes and Gordon seems rather small. Most teams are either rebuilding, financially strapped or their outfield is set. I doubt there are more than a handful of teams that will actually make a contract offer to any of the big three. Plus Colorado put three good outfielders on the market so there's a surplus of quality outfielders to be had which should bring asking prices down both in money and in prospects for trades. If JR and the rest of the board members agree to raise the payroll, Hahn should be able to get one of Cespedes, Upton or Gordon for a more reasonable price than what was originally expected when the off season ended.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 19, 2015 -> 11:43 PM)
The Cubs have the largest debt load in baseball and are owned by a group of trust fund babies. While they'll very likely have a larger payroll, they have much less flexibility than us. When they reach their budget, they pretty much have to stop. On the other hand, Reinsdorf's group is able to expand payroll if needed as they can go into the red if they like. Obviously none of us know either team's budget for 2016, but everything in the media (including Theo's interview today) suggests the Cubs are done with big ticket items.

The cubs have 128M committed in salary that doesn't include their arbitration players that could total 30M+ so after looking at the bigger picture, you're probably right. They just might be done with big ticket signings. Not that I'm disappointed. :)

I just finished looking up the numbers so please disregard all previous thoughts on where Gordon lands. :lol:

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 20, 2015 -> 05:43 AM)

but they have many assets they can use in trades to get players of similar talent, but younger, and if needed, to overspend to get it done.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 20, 2015 -> 12:46 PM)
He is talking about signing free agents

i know, signing fa's, i am in agreement that says they will not invest in that dept. but they will still make the moves in maybe trading their prospects to continue fixing that team.

edit.... i think i was answering and providing a reason to my thought process.

Edited by LDF