Alex Gordon Thread

Dunt

It is being reported that Alex Gordon and the Royals have reached an agreement on a new contract. It was reported by a writer from MLB.com, an official announcement is expected to be made later today.

EDIT: I was too late.

Edited by Joshua Strong

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 08:51 AM)
That opt out better be after 2-3 years to be enticing...

We were talking Cespedes getting $125-150 million before the World Series...partly because of the lack of a draft pick loss attached. There's no way he's under $100.

Agree

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 08:51 AM)
About $18 million a year. At the very least, the White Sox made the Royals pay more than they were hoping. It would be disappointing if they don't get any of the 3, but reality says if they get a guy like Austin Jackson for a good price, they still improve. It doesn't make as big of a PR splash, but on the field, helps the team.

It's still a huge bargain to them, considering Cabrera's deal with us.

He's worth a lot more to that fanbase than he would playing for another team.

The Royals re-signing Gordon, prevents the Sox from making a huge mistake. Gordon is in the decline of his career and not worth a comp pick.

MLB Network just said that Hosmer, Cain and Moustakas are all free agents in 2017. Their run could be ending.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 08:56 AM)
So much for not signing today because of HOF. Let the games really begin now. Get Cespedes Hahn.

I never bought the whole no signings on HOF day. I would think even if Raines got it the Sox would want to capitalize on the publicity and happiness of fans and would love to also announce a major FA signing. If a guy has agreed to terms I doubt a team holds off on anouning until after HOF is announced. Especially in this day and age, chances are it would leak.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 03:56 PM)
The Royals re-signing Gordon, prevents the Sox from making a huge mistake. Gordon is in the decline of his career and not worth a comp pick.

MLB Network just said that Hosmer, Cain and Moustakas are all free agents in 2017. Their run could be ending.

Well said

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 08:53 AM)
It's still a huge bargain to them, considering Cabrera's deal with us.

He's worth a lot more to that fanbase than he would playing for another team.

You could have had me off this site for 4 years. On the other hand, you are out of a house.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 08:43 AM)
Well, I never did want him, but it would be nice to get Cespedes now

Yep. Cespedes has his flaws but he's by far the most athletic of the bunch and has good power. If we net him, Hahn has to get an OBP guy now.

http://www.royalsreview.com/2016/1/1/10699...racts-for-teams

How bad are FA contracts for teams....? Specifically referencing Gordon's deal.

Analyzes 2-3-4 year contracts and pay off in expected WAR.

Poster Vandalia hit the nail on the head...and why we end up with Parra, Jackson, Span, instead of a star player in all likelihood.

"The one thing that caught my eye (although I always include the disclaimer that I might be reading things wrong) was the fact that shorter – i.e., two year – contracts seem to provide the most value. The point of course is that if a FA signs a two year contract, he is probably not that great. Or is older than Cy Young. Which of course leads to the other point – on long term contracts player’s generally under-perform.

This highlights the important fact that there are two ends in baseball: to provide entertainment (thus revenue), and to win baseball games. The two are not necessarily the same. In fact, one can argue that they are rarely the same. Most of the star players with the mega-contracts will never be able to produce enough value to justify their salaries based on on-the-field performance. However, they put fans in the seats and provide good TV ratings. Therefore they might be good for the ultimate bottom line, the balance sheet.

If you sign Zack Greinke or Giancarlo Stanton you are paying a premium for their "entertainment" value. That will never show up on the WAR statistics. On the other hand, if you sign Kendrys Morales, you are paying primarily for his talents at baseball alone. It has been written that the Kansas City Royals of the last two years are a "boring" team without "star" players – and some would argue TV ratings. But of course in KC, you don’t have the surplus population who might come out to the ballpark to see Alex Rodriguez even if they have never watched a baseball game before. To maximize the crowd in KC, you have to have a good baseball team.

If you are in the race for a "big" free agent, you will pay a premium for their general "star" power. That might make sense in a city like New York or LA where you are hoping to attract the casual non-fan for a game. But it means if KC signs that guy, they will be paying a premium for something that essentially has no value for them. (Not that there is much risk of the Royals being involved in the bidding in the first place.)

Finally we reach Alex Gordon and why I think he might end up back with the Royals: He is not going to be in the TMZ headlines every day. He is boring – at least to the big city types. He is not going to hit 60 HR. He is not the guy who is going to be the reason non-fans come out to the baseball field He just helps his team win baseball games. Which is what the Royals are looking for. His value is minimal for teams who focus on maximizing entertainment value. His value is maximized for teams that need to win baseball games to win on the field in order to win with the balance sheet. That is why the Royals are still in the race to sign him."

Edited by caulfield12

Guarantee Cespedes 3 years $60M and then give him 2 option years at $22M each. Total contract is 5 years $104M (+incentives) with Cespedes having the ability to opt out after 3 years.

I think something like that makes a lot of both sides...hell, I'd let him walk after 2 years if he really wants that option. Cespedes makes us a competitor for sure, but he's not exactly a guy I feel great about 4 or 5 years down the road.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 08:56 AM)

If it took them this long to bring him back, money is going to be a huge issue. A couple of those guys are rep'd by Boras, so they are going to be free agents. Gordon is a great player. I wish the Sox signed him. But if they had problems or doubts signing him after winning a WS, think what happens when all of these guys get a raise, and what if they don't make the playoffs and have that extra revenue? The break up could start at the trade deadline this season if they aren't contending.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 09:01 AM)
Guarantee Cespedes 3 years $60M and then give him 2 option years at $22M each. Total contract is 5 years $104M (+incentives) with Cespedes having the ability to opt out after 3 years.

I think something like that makes a lot of both sides...hell, I'd let him walk after 2 years if he really wants that option. Cespedes makes us a competitor for sure, but he's not exactly a guy I feel great about 4 or 5 years down the road.

I actually like this a lot. Call your guy Hahn and let me know what he thinks.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 08:58 AM)
You could have had me off this site for 4 years. On the other hand, you are out of a house.

Since I am supposedly a troll, maybe I was being paid to plant misinformation and false hope.

Well, that's why I jumped on the third tier starting pitcher acquisition as well as the Span/Parra/A.Jackson bandwagons.

You just felt the winds shifting when nothing at all happened last week.

The White Sox might have bid higher but not high enough to make a difference.