could the White Sox steal chicago

Whisox05

The Cubs "stole" Chicago when they brought in John McDonough to run public relations and Harry Caray to call the ballgames. The Sox need to find a way to win consistently, and they need to put a dynamic personality in the broadcast booth when the Hawk retires. Hahn has been doing a good job bringing players to help the club win (they don't always perform, but that's not Hahn's fault). Now the club needs a broadcaster who will help put fannies in the seats.

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 04:53 PM)
The Cubs "stole" Chicago when they brought in John McDonough to run public relations and Harry Caray to call the ballgames. The Sox need to find a way to win consistently, and they need to put a dynamic personality in the broadcast booth when the Hawk retires. Hahn has been doing a good job bringing players to help the club win (they don't always perform, but that's not Hahn's fault). Now the club needs a broadcaster who will help put fannies in the seats.

It wasn't until Harry's 4th season that they outdrew the Sox. 1984 , Sandburg, Sutcliffe, is what turned the tide. They can blame Sportsvision, whatever else, Harry went to the Cubs in 1982, and the Sox outdrew them until 1985, but it all comes down to the 1984 season when Wrigley was sold as a treasure, and the Cubs were winning. Winning didn't matter much after that.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 05:00 PM)
I enjoy talking Baseball but in the end I give not a s*** about the cubs, their fans of how many people go to cubs games. As a long time Sox fan, that stuff means less than zero to me. This is Baseball not RISK.

:D

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 11:56 AM)
If the Sox and Cubs switched stadiums it would be downright bizarre and nobody would know what to make of it.

Had the Cubs demolished Wrigley 25 years ago, and the Sox rehabbed instead of demolished Comiskey, things would be very different attendance-wise.

Nah. Wrigley is in a better location with regards to bars and entertainment.

Anything's possible but to start it would require new ownership with an attitude of actually deciding to 'take on' the Cubs. The current ownership from as far back as when they got control of the team has publicly said time and time again that is not part of their operating philosophy.

A lot would have to change (including the Sox actually getting to the playoffs more often then five times in 35 years) for things to begin to turn.

The Sox dominated the city from a fan, media and (I assume in this case) advertising standpoint during the "Golden Age" from 1951-1967 but that was a long time ago and I don't think that will return at least in my lifetime.

And when the Cubs start their own TV station possibly as soon as 2019, that won't help matters.

Mark

I'd be curious to see what would happen if you developed a genuine superstar the likes of A-Rod, Jeter, Trout or Harper on the club. A nationally recognized superstar. Pair that with a WS championship and the Sox could give them a run. But not right now. The cubs have an exciting young team. And at the end of the day, that's actually good for the game. Who knows, if they were a s*** team maybe the Sox aren't as aggressive.

When the bad guys on the Northside start their own TV station in 2019/2020 this could help (not hurt) the White Sox. From what I know the Cubs are going to have all of their games on their TV station. There won't be any Cubs games on free TV. To the best of my knowledge both the Yankees and Mets don't have any of their games on free TV. I'm told the Cubs are going to go the same route. We'll have to wait and see if this actually happens because if it does it has to hurt the Cubs franchise. The White Sox would be smart to keep some of their games on free TV like they do now. They would be the only baseball team in Chicago on free TV which would be a good thing for the franchise. I would like to think that this could shift some of the balance in fan popularity back to the White Sox.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 11:48 AM)
I'd be curious to see what would happen if you developed a genuine superstar the likes of A-Rod, Jeter, Trout or Harper on the club. A nationally recognized superstar. Pair that with a WS championship and the Sox could give them a run. But not right now. The cubs have an exciting young team. And at the end of the day, that's actually good for the game. Who knows, if they were a s*** team maybe the Sox aren't as aggressive.

So someone like Frank Thomas?

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 11:30 AM)
When the bad guys on the Northside start their own TV station in 2019/2020 this could help (not hurt) the White Sox. From what I know the Cubs are going to have all of their games on their TV station. There won't be any Cubs games on free TV. To the best of my knowledge both the Yankees and Mets don't have any of their games on free TV. I'm told the Cubs are going to go the same route. We'll have to wait and see if this actually happens because if it does it has to hurt the Cubs franchise. The White Sox would be smart to keep some of their games on free TV like they do now. They would be the only baseball team in Chicago on free TV which would be a good thing for the franchise. I would like to think that this could shift some of the balance in fan popularity back to the White Sox.

That's interesting and a good point in my opinion. However it would be even nicer if the current CEO of the Tribune was fired and replaced by someone who actually brought back Chicago sports to the Superstation. THAT would increase the Sox nationally and potentially help with their recognition.

I got a great laugh out of the fact that the Tribune doofus (who is a Mets fan by the way...) actually pulled the plug on Chicago sports the season the Cubs caught fire. Wonder how much money that cost the Tribune Company? LOL.

Mark

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 11:48 AM)

Like Frank Thomas? There is no hope to overtake the Cubs. The White Sox shouldn't waste the time, money, and effort to try. Just worry about winning, and see what happens. The attendance trophy is permanently the Cubs.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 08:40 PM)
Like Frank Thomas? There is no hope to overtake the Cubs. The White Sox shouldn't waste the time, money, and effort to try. Just worry about winning, and see what happens. The attendance trophy is permanently the Cubs.

i agree about the winning.

now there is no point in trying to compete with some kind of machiavellian strategy, b/c it is too late.

just assemble the team of good players and above hitting players, and just compete. just roll up the sleeves and have an old fashion donnybrook of a fight to see who is the better team on the field.