2016-2017 NFL Thread

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The announcer in the Seahawks/Dolphins game yelling about how the winning touchdown was coming back because of an incredibly clear pick play that the refs were all over, then immediately changing his tune to "no penalty" when the flag was revealed to be something else was really remarkable.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 11, 2016 -> 04:24 PM)
The announcer in the Seahawks/Dolphins game yelling about how the winning touchdown was coming back because of an incredibly clear pick play that the refs were all over, then immediately changing his tune to "no penalty" when the flag was revealed to be something else was really remarkable.

Mr. Dan Fouts, everyone!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 11, 2016 -> 04:56 PM)
Don't know what was said, but apparently Dan Hampton blasted the Bears coaching staff after the game.

Hampton basically blamed the game on them starting Whitehair. I completely disagree with him. It's the only option. He's the future. There is no better time than now. He was saying that Larsen should have started since it was on the road and against Wilfork. Ted Larsen sucks though. Kreutz said something similar. These same people would have said Larsen sucked and they should have played the rookie if it were the other way around. Coaching staff had a rough game but that outcome was determined by Houston having more good players than the Bears do. The Bears won't face another defense like that for awhile. Tough first matchup.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 11, 2016 -> 04:44 PM)
Watching basically every rookie WR having an impact and think hmm about Kevin White

He is raw though. They also didn't really use him properly. he should catch a few quick passes and bubbles to get him in space initially. Everyone's routes were too deep yesterday. Houston's defense is awesome but Crennel took Loggains to the woodshed in the 2nd half

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 12, 2016 -> 08:45 AM)
I'm not really feeling the sky is falling after yesterday. To each their own though

Faced a good D on the road. I'm not ready to jump off a cliff either but this is Chicago and we all know how Bears fans are. They are why I quit listening to sports talk years ago.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 12, 2016 -> 08:39 AM)
He is raw though. They also didn't really use him properly. he should catch a few quick passes and bubbles to get him in space initially. Everyone's routes were too deep yesterday. Houston's defense is awesome but Crennel took Loggains to the woodshed in the 2nd half

I think eventually we'll get a fly route but have to wonder how hamstring issue plays into that.

Noticeable difference this year was the lack of RB dumpoffs.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 11, 2016 -> 11:43 AM)
White having a very bad game

He should have had a first down earlier in the game (the play before that 4th down where Cutler fumbled) and then that interception where he gave up was brutal. The whole game was pretty brutal on offense. Horrific oline, dropped balls, etc. Defense was okay, but still lacks playmaking (need bigger pass rush). Tackling was pretty sound by and large and at least we had one turnover.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 11, 2016 -> 12:48 PM)
Well. Seems like we are a team that is hard to blow out because we play bend don't break defense and run a slow pace on offense, but the games aren't close because of talent. Need 2-3 more playmakers, especially at S/CB

Pass rush was inconsistent and that is where it all starts, imo. We are improved on defense, but improved still just means mediocre (in the sense we have a lot more "solid" players). We don't have a special player on this defense and we need to get some of those. On offense, we have one guy who is well above average and that is Alshon (did have a costly drop). Yet, that is the guy everyone wants to run out of town.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 12, 2016 -> 06:37 AM)
Hampton basically blamed the game on them starting Whitehair. I completely disagree with him. It's the only option. He's the future. There is no better time than now. He was saying that Larsen should have started since it was on the road and against Wilfork. Ted Larsen sucks though. Kreutz said something similar. These same people would have said Larsen sucked and they should have played the rookie if it were the other way around. Coaching staff had a rough game but that outcome was determined by Houston having more good players than the Bears do. The Bears won't face another defense like that for awhile. Tough first matchup.

Houston had more playmakers and won. All that said, I expect them to learn from this, but we know this team lacks playmakers, the goal is to start developing some (and we don't have a lot of guys with the potential to be one, but we do have some). Then we need to keep adding some more while building up.