2016 MLB catch all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 10:02 AM)
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman 22m22 minutes ago

Gavin Floyd is impressive in Jays camp. Good shot to be No. 5 SP. Chavez ticketed for pen. Sanchez could make pen strong.

Always liked Gavin and wanted to sign him.

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 12:19 PM)
Always liked Gavin and wanted to sign him.

I kind of thought they would. It made sense for the type of market the Sox were in for pitching, though at that time I would have never thought Latos was an option in the same price range.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 10:41 AM)
Robert Raiola, CPA ‏@SportsTaxMan 11h11 hours ago

#MLB minimum salary for 2016 =$507,500 (same as 2015)

MLB per diem for 2016 for each day on the road $100(was $100.50 in 2015)

It seems to me that the per diem should be at least $250 a day, with the increasing prices of food in big city hotels and restaurants.

It seems to me that the per diem should be at least $250 a day, with the increasing prices of food in big city hotels and restaurants.

For government employees on travel, the per diem rate varies from $51-74, depending on location. Gotta be tough for those baseball players to make it on $100/day, especially since one meal per day is provided in the clubhouse.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 02:34 PM)
For government employees on travel, the per diem rate varies from $51-74, depending on location. Gotta be tough for those baseball players to make it on $100/day, especially since one meal per day is provided in the clubhouse.

MLB is not a government job.

They are required to stay in big cities and super-posh hotels and most have crazy hours and can't get out to eat places.

One dinner meal in a downtown area can be $150+.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 02:05 PM)

They are required to stay in big cities and super-posh hotels and most have crazy hours and can't get out to eat places.

$150 per person? Maybe if you order the most expensive bottle of wine and multiple entrees. But there's no way the players are "required" to do that.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 12:05 PM)

Not really. Sure if they want to go to the fanciest steakhouse on the planet every day, but perdiem isn't supposed to cover those type of expenses. It is supposed to cover, relatively normal eating out. Basic breakfast, sandwich / salad, etc for lunch, and a sit down dinner with maybe a drink. Most companies per diems are like 35-50 bucks / day and yes, there is sometimes some flexibility when they travel to a bigger city, but nothing like $150 / day. That isn't to say when you travel, you might not have one nice dinner because you are hosting clients or celebrating a successful project.

Baseball players probably get free spreads most everywhere they go so the per diem probably largely covers dinner as I presume they get free breakfast at the hotels as well as lunch at the stadium, etc.

They can get by on $100 a day. If they must spend a couple of hundred on lunch, they make enough to cough up the difference themselves. A couple things I found out is when they go on a roadtrip, they get all their per diem in cash up front. They also get per diem money when they are playing on the "road" within their city. When the Sox go to Wrigley, they get a per diem.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 01:34 PM)

The state of illinois is 32. Of course currently they have banned travel due to the lack of a budget.

I remember when Jon Singleton signed that very "team-friendly " deal with the Astros and got criticized for passing up so much money.

Well he is back in the minors and might have been the smart one. For every Longoria or Sale, there are stories like that where signing that early deal works out much better for the player. That's why you sign it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 28, 2016 -> 09:06 PM)
I remember when Jon Singleton signed that very "team-friendly " deal with the Astros and got criticized for passing up so much money.

Well he is back in the minors and might have been the smart one. For every Longoria or Sale, there are stories like that where signing that early deal works out much better for the player. That's why you sign it.

Sergio Santos also comes to mind quickly.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 28, 2016 -> 09:06 PM)

Singleton signed that deal because he was going to be suspended for pot in the minors.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 09:08 AM)
Singleton signed that deal because he was going to be suspended for pot in the minors.

He was suspended for pot after a 2nd positive test on January 9, 2013.

He signed the deal on June 2, 2014 and made his MLB debut the next day and spent the rest of the season in the majors.

What am I missing here?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 12:20 PM)
The MLB doesn't test for pot. The MiLB does. If the Astros signed him to an MLB deal and in turn, added him to the 40 man roster, he wouldn't be subject to any marijuana-related penalties.

I see. So his supposed marijuana addiction earned him about $10 million he may not have seen otherwise. Nice.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 11:20 AM)
The MLB doesn't test for pot. The MiLB does. If the Astros signed him to an MLB deal and in turn, added him to the 40 man roster, he wouldn't be subject to any marijuana-related penalties.

That seems odd doesn't it? I never knew that tidbit. I guess I'm just used to not even thinking about it with MLB players, so I never knew that testing system.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 01:35 AM)
That seems odd doesn't it? I never knew that tidbit. I guess I'm just used to not even thinking about it with MLB players, so I never knew that testing system.

All MLB items have to be negotiated with the union. The Commissioners office can impose these things on MiLB because they have no union. That is why MiLB testing has always been tougher.