2016 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 13, 2016 -> 03:07 PM)
Especially when you start looking at all of those $30 million seasons coming up. Not only do you have to pay the guy, but you'd also have to find guys to fill all of the holes you would create to get him.

His contract is such an interesting one. $34 million is so much money, but it's always guys in their age 30+ season ready to decline. He is only 25, it's logical to expect him to improve his pace as one of the top players ever. But the Angels have yet to win a playoff game with him on the roster.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ May 14, 2016 -> 11:59 AM)
That's not the worst of it. They started singing go cubs go. I wanted to jump off.

Awwww...isn't that a cute song? I even love that cute little Eddie Vedder song. I was at an EV solo show in 2008. When he started playing that song, I went to go take a piss with the other White Sox fans.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 14, 2016 -> 02:35 PM)
BTW, nice to see Arrieta plunking Kang on purpose after getting hit around. He's just pure class.

AND he eats plants and lean meats. All around perfect guy. I really can't wait until we play those guys. Hopefully, we can take those smug looks right off their f$ing faces. Especially, Arrieta's. The Cubs are good, but the NL is a joke. Great, they beat up on Locke today...good for them, he sucks. Then, Arrieta plunks Kang because he is getting hit around a bit. I am really looking forward to the Crosstown series'.

Edited by soxfan85

QUOTE (soxfan85 @ May 14, 2016 -> 02:46 PM)
AND he eats plants and lean meats. All around perfect guy. I really can't wait until we play those guys. Hopefully, we can take those smug looks right off their f$ing faces. Especially, Arrieta's. The Cubs are good, but the NL is a joke. Great, they beat up on Locke today...good for them, he sucks. Then, Arrieta plunks Kang because he is getting hit around a bit. I am really looking forward to the Crosstown series'.

God I hate Arrieta.

Well, today is the first time I watched more than 1 inning of a Cubs game this season. I tell ya, that bullpen pitcher the Pirates put in after that Bozo Locke is even better. Talk about having absolutely NOTHING in his arsenal. He was throwing beach balls up there. Unbelievable difference between the two leagues. I can't wait to watch some Chicago Sports shows to hear about how badly they beat him up and how they are the greatest team to ever lace up their spikes. #rentfree

Edited by soxfan85

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ May 14, 2016 -> 05:24 PM)
I hope Billy Beane is pleased with himself about that Russell trade. If they do end up winning, he's probably more deserving of a ring than 2 or 3 members of the actual roster.

What's a worse trade, Russell for Samardzija or Rizzo for Cashner? Both very one sided now.

Cole was fantastic during the start, giving up just three hits over eight innings. The Cubs lead the league in walks, but failed to draw one against Cole. He struck out seven during the outing.

Even then, it wasn't easy to come out ahead. Cole was matched by Cubs starter Jon Lester throughout most of the game. In fact, Lester took a no-hitter into the top of the seventh inning against Pittsburgh before Starling Marte hit a single with one out. Marte would come around to score later that inning on a Jung-Ho Kang double.

Kang would strike again in the top of the ninth, knocking a solo home run against closer Hector Rondon. That run became crucial, as the Cubs mounted a comeback in the bottom of the inning.

Mark Melancon entered the game in the bottom of the ninth looking for the save, but ran into some trouble. A walk to Dexter Fowler and a single by Jason Heyward put men on first and third with no outs. Anthony Rizzo hit a sacrifice fly to drive in Fowler, but Melancon managed to get Ben Zobrist to ground out to end the game.

While it might seem like a tough task to shut down the Cubs, Cole didn't seem too impressed with the team following the win.

He may have been able to get away with that after today's performance, but the Cubs will have plenty of chances to prove him wrong over the course of the season. The two teams still play each other 13 times, and that doesn't include a possible meeting in October.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/mlb-big-...-042058768.html

Edited by whitesoxjr27

QUOTE (fathom @ May 16, 2016 -> 02:04 PM)
Of course Chicago sports radio today is talking about the Trout to Cubs rumors. Funniest part to me is that some people are taking a fake trade proposal on mlbdailydish as it if's the actual trade in question.

They are making fun of it.

Even if that daily dish article wasn't serious, some of those proposals they had from other teams were so much better than the ones they had for the Cubs. Why the hell would the Angels want an injured DH, a guy hitting under .200, and a decent infielder that might K too much when they can get Cespedes and Matt Harvey from the Mets or 3 of Boston's best young players in Bogaerts, Bradley, and Betts?

I also laugh at the idea that Adam Eaton, Carlos Rodon, and all of our best prospects is somehow the worst deal they can come up with.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 16, 2016 -> 02:27 PM)
Spiegel and Goff were discussing it like the daily dish trade proposal could be legit.

they certainly were not, they were laughing about emptying out the farm for someone like Trout and saying it wont happen pretty much for that reason