White Sox sign Jimmy Rollins

Princess Dye

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 09:56 PM)
No one is going to guarantee playing time AND offer only a minor league deal at the same time. The Sox offer Rollins an opportunity to get significant playing time at not only SS but also 2B, but he's got to earn the roster spot. I hope he sticks, I believe he would be a good mentor to the Sox young SS in Saladino and ultimately Anderson. He could have as big a role off the field/in the dugout as he does on the field in that regard. And he's a switch hitter to boot :)

Except the reports are that he's going to be competing for the starting job at SS.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 05:25 AM)
IMO, Rollins is in the drivers seat.

If he hits .280 in spring training give him the job. Thing is, his presence is going to steal so many at bats from our young shortstops. HOpe we have a lot of split squad days.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 05:32 AM)
If he hits .280 in spring training give him the job. Thing is, his presence is going to steal so many at bats from our young shortstops. HOpe we have a lot of split squad days.

As long as Rollins doesn't look like Bonifacio last ST, he has a great shot to be starting opening day. I have my doubts the Sox ever wanted Saladino to be a full time starter.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 11:35 PM)
As long as Rollins doesn't look like Bonifacio last ST, he has a great shot to be starting opening day. I have my doubts the Sox ever wanted Saladino to be a full time starter.

I have my doubts the Sox ever wanted Saladino to be a full-time starter too.

But I think it's for a more positive reason. With his athleticism, speed, and defensive abilities, Saladino has a chance of being an outstanding super-utility guy (SS, 3B, 2B, OF ... even train him to be an emergency C as well to maximize roster flexibility). He'll never be Zobrist with the bat, but he'll be a far better defensive player and he very well might max out as decent with the bat (plus with occasional pop). I really like him for that role and I have a strong sense that Rick and the gang see that in him too.

As for Rollins, I think adding him on a minor league deal (given the above about Saladino) was a great move. If he's got a reasonable amount left in the tank (and there is ample reason to suspect he does), then he'll be a very good bridge to Anderson.

Plus, leadership IS an actual thing. Especially in baseball. I love advanced metrics as well as the next guy (well, most of the next guys), but there is no metric available to account for how certain players can help boost the quantitative metrics of other players. You don't think that Mark Buehrle and Matt Thornton added value to Chris Sale? Sale will tell you otherwise. Veterans and strong character guys like Jimmy Rollins and Alex Avila will absolutely help lay a stronger foundation for and bring out the best in talented (but seemingly rudderless) guys like Lawrie and Soxtalk's favorite whipping boy -- Avi Garcia. I love the idea of baseball QUALITY rubbing off on guys like Lawrie and Garcia (and later Tim Anderson) over the course of the very long baseball season.

Edited by CyAcosta41

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 07:56 AM)
I have my doubts the Sox ever wanted Saladino to be a full-time starter too.

But I think it's for a more positive reason. With his athleticism, speed, and defensive abilities, Saladino has a chance of being an outstanding super-utility guy (SS, 3B, 2B, OF ... even train him to be an emergency C as well to maximize roster flexibility). He'll never be Zobrist with the bat, but he'll be a far better defensive player and he very well might max out as decent with the bat (plus with occasional pop). I really like him for that role and I have a strong sense that Rick and the gang see that in him too.

As for Rollins, I think adding him on a minor league deal (given the above about Saladino) was a great move. If he's got a reasonable amount left in the tank (and there is ample reason to suspect he does), then he'll be a very good bridge to Anderson.

Plus, leadership IS an actual thing. Especially in baseball. I love advanced metrics as well as the next guy (well, most of the next guys), but there is no metric available to account for how certain players can help boost the quantitative metrics of other players. You don't think that Mark Buehrle and Matt Thornton added value to Chris Sale? Sale will tell you otherwise. Veterans and strong character guys like Jimmy Rollins and Alex Avila will absolutely help lay a stronger foundation for and bring out the best in talented (but rudderless) guys like Lawrie and Soxtalk's favorite whipping boy -- Avi Garcia. I love the idea of baseball QUALITY rubbing off on guys like Lawrie and Garcia (and later Tim Anderson) over the course of the very long baseball season.

In the new BP, one of their writers wrote a break up letter to WAR. It was pretty interesting. His jist was WAR is still good, there is just some things WAR cannot measure like leadership, that he thinks is important. It was a pretty clever letter.

There's a reason Rollins can be had for a minor league contract. We all know it. But, what does it hurt to see what he's got? The cost is right. At the very least, it keeps Saladino on his toes this spring. Maybe Rollins makes the team and does well. Maybe he makes the team and he sucks. Maybe he doesn't make the team. We will see, but there is zero harm, and perhaps being around him in the spring does the younger guys some good.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 08:04 AM)
In the new BP, one of their writers wrote a break up letter to WAR. It was pretty interesting. His jist was WAR is still good, there is just some things WAR cannot measure like leadership, that he thinks is important. It was a pretty clever letter.

There's a reason Rollins can be had for a minor league contract. We all know it. But, what does it hurt to see what he's got? The cost is right. At the very least, it keeps Saladino on his toes this spring. Maybe Rollins makes the team and does well. Maybe he makes the team and he sucks. Maybe he doesn't make the team. We will see, but there is zero harm, and perhaps being around him in the spring does the younger guys some good.

Excellent post. Too many people getting worked up over a minor league deal.

Great post DA.

Absolutely, especially the part I bolded.

As I see it, signing Rollins was sort of a three-pronged strategy:

1 -- See what this former top SS has left in the tank (time will tell, but there are reasons to think he has something left)

2 -- Some would argue, "why take time away from the young Saladino?" And I think that by signing Rollins they actually are paying MORE attention to Saladino -- in the actual super-utility guy role they envision for him.

3 -- Assuming his remaining on field talent allows him to stick, bringing in another strong character guy to pair with Avila helps some of the youngsters like Lawrie, Avila, and (later) Anderson. How much does leadership and mentoring help? Hmm. Same answer as the riddle "what do you get when you mate an elephant and a rhinoceros?" Elefino! But anyone who knows baseball -- or PEOPLE -- knows it has to help some. And it can never hurt.

Like the signing and really hope it pays dividends. Baseball can be a cruel game, but I think we're ripe for a dollop of good luck.

My one and only concern about the possibility of Rollins being the starting shortstop this season is if he plays defense the way he did last season. He was a below average defender last year, and that's the last thing this team needs is another position clocking in defensively at below average. As of right now, the outfield defense is a disaster, particularly on the corners as we all know, and remember - in the process of upgrading the offense this offseason at second and catcher, we actually took a hit on the defensive side of things. The moves to upgrade those two positions were the right ones, given the team was dead last in offense. But you add a Rollins who may be in decline defensively, and then all of a sudden you are seeing a downgrade up the middle defensively from catcher to short to second, and this for a team that finished near the bottom in defense last season. Add that to the outfield corner defense, and it's rather frightening, to say the least!

So in all of these discussions about what Rollins may or may not have left in the tank, let's hope what's left is a return to form of the fine defender he was just two seasons ago!

I think the Sox are very sensitive to their defensive challenges at this point. If whoever gets the most innings at SS is playing bad defense, it'll be because they're hitting the crap out of the ball enough to justify it, IMO.

This isn't an exciting move, but it hedges against the risk of a terrible Saladino. It's a good depth move with a little upside.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 06:04 AM)

I also think the value he brings in the lockeroom and while grooming a young potential shortstops like Anderson and Saladino is being incredibly overlooked here. If Rollins gets 150 games, I presume that is a good thing, because it means he is playing well. My presumption is, with the flexibility we now have throughout the infield, there will be plenty of at bats to go around and if Jimmy doesn't work out, oh well, no harm in seeing what he has in spring at the very least. I do suspect he'll be on the opening day roster though.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 10:06 AM)
I also think the value he brings in the lockeroom and while grooming a young potential shortstops like Anderson and Saladino is being incredibly overlooked here. If Rollins gets 150 games, I presume that is a good thing, because it means he is playing well. My presumption is, with the flexibility we now have throughout the infield, there will be plenty of at bats to go around and if Jimmy doesn't work out, oh well, no harm in seeing what he has in spring at the very least. I do suspect he'll be on the opening day roster though.

It is worth noting that Alexei had his best stretch here with Omar in the locker room.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 10:18 AM)
Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 6m6 minutes ago

Tim Anderson is excited to work w/ Jimmy Rollins. Watched him all time. Said Rick Hahn spoke to him about taking advantage of opp.

Implicit benefits like this are the best value I see from this, presuming Rollins is generous with his knowledge and time.

He was a darn good SS for a long time.

I guess Rollins could be good again...he only had 1 bad year, although it was last year and he was 37.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 11:34 AM)
I kinda feel like if he doesn't win the starting job they end up sticking with him on the bench. Not giving an MLB deal is just so they don't have to make a 40 man roster move right away (like Soto last year).

Or they honestly don't think he's an MLB player anymore but they want him in ST with Anderson.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 11:45 AM)
I don't know. I kinda feel like they doubt Sanchez's ability at short. Rollins can mentor Saladino and then possibly Anderson later in the year.

I fully expect them to doubt both Saladino and Sanchez because neither is very good. In either case, a minor league deal is the right move.

If they think either Saladino or Sanchez are real baseball players, we are in for a world of hurt in the middle infield.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 12:03 PM)
There is also an audio clip out there today of Hahn saying that Rollins played through some injuries last year, and that might have had some effect on him.

Injuries is code for old man issues.