Fowler Signs with Cubs

Chisoxfn

We had marked him off the list when it sounded like he signed with the O's, but sure enough, he never actually did and ended up signing a one year deal with the Cubs. I know there is a thread in diamond club, but given the rumors / ties to him with the Sox, thought it made sense to include here.

Fowler, according to ESPN, agreed to a one-year deal with $13 million guaranteed; he'll receive $8 million this season and a $5 million buyout of a 2017 option. The Cubs hold a $9 million option for next year.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 12:13 PM)
I don't give a f*** what the reason is, Sox fans have the right to be pissed off about this.

I'm more pissed about not getting Coghlan. The Sox could have offered Petricka and they would've accepted.

What the hell is Hahn waiting for? Avi to suddenly become an All Star?

The WhiteSox have been outclassed within their own division this offseason but how can this FO stand around & watch what the Cubs are doing & honestly think they aren't losing support?

What the Cubs have build is magnificent on paper & frankly, it's a disgrace to Sox fans that they can't even try to compete.

This is coming from someone who doesn't mind the Cubs, either. Just coming from a business mindset.

Call it what you will but the Sox have not done enough & continue to screw up & lose support. Gonna be a long few years for Sox fans in Chicago.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 07:16 PM)
From Baltimore.

I think that line is now standard in prepping to talk to the press after you sign a free agent contract, but he definitely did.

Jesse Rogers ‏@ESPNChiCubs 5m5 minutes ago

Press conference over. @DexterFowler says he has no idea why it was reported he signed with BaltimoreTurned down more $$ there and elsehwere

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 12:11 PM)
Good lord, what an awful offseason.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 12:13 PM)
I don't give a f*** what the reason is, Sox fans have the right to be pissed off about this.

QUOTE (gosoxgo2005 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 12:16 PM)
What a terrible offseason is correct.

Can't fault guys that want to play where their heart is i.e Gordon, Cespedes and now Fowler. Money doesn't always talk.

If we get an upgrade in the outfield before the start of the season, this is still a really good off season. If we don't get an OF, then this off season is confusing and wasting another year of the core.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 12:17 PM)
Jesse Rogers ‏@ESPNChiCubs 5m5 minutes ago

Press conference over. @DexterFowler says he has no idea why it was reported he signed with BaltimoreTurned down more $$ there and elsehwere

Levine said he wanted an opt out in Baltimore, so if it was 3/$33 the 1/$13 is less money for sure but it's a smaller scale Heyward took less money. The Sox might have offered him 2/$20, which technically is more money, but in reality, not really if he can get more than $7 million in 2017.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 12:20 PM)
What a bummer, the Sox couldn't top that offer?

They probably did.

Fowler took one of those "hometown discounts" like Cespedes and Gordon did.

I can't really fault the Sox for not getting Fowler, as he clearly had his heart set on going back to the Cubs.

I'm more pissed that the Sox couldn't get Coghlan. He was the perfect #2 hitter for this team and they wasted yet another chance to replace Avi.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 01:21 PM)
Levine said he wanted an opt out in Baltimore, so if it was 3/$33 the 1/$13 is less money for sure but it's a smaller scale Heyward took less money. The Sox might have offered him 2/$20, which technically is more money, but in reality, not really if he can get more than $7 million in 2017.

Hahn is nothing if not creative with contracts it really does seem like the Sox don't have much budget room not only this year but in upcoming years. They couldn't extend a vesting option for 2018 that would have put them over the top? 2 years 20 million with a 13 million vesting (say 500 pa) option for '18 might have gotten the deal done.