White Sox Sign Austin Jackson

DirtySox

They lost each game. My wife was upset that we spent that money on that team and refused to let me get another plan for this year unless they got a 3rd baseman and another outfielder. Done and done I told her last night! See ya all at the ball park!

Quite amused at the idea of wives or girlfriends complaining about the "entertainment value" of Sox baseball but men can't make similar comments about the need of some women to buy new handbags, jewelry, cosmetics and shoes every month??? Btw, if they had won all those games, seemingly that would have given you more justification to spend even more money on the Sox, right? Undoubtedly, it doesn't quite work that way.

Fwi, heard a crazy stat during the Angels broadcast today.

The White Sox didn't get a single homer from a LHB against a LHP all season in 2015? Really?

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (VAfan @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 04:12 PM)
I agree with this. If you went in with the budget the Sox have spent, it's hard to imagine anything better than what's turned out. Everything else people have clamored for would have cost more, perhaps a lot more.

You can argue Desmond would have more impact than Rollins/Latos/draft pick...but that argument is also based on the belief Desmond would play well enough to be given another QO at the end of the season, AND, that another team would sign him before June, 2017.

That would be for him to play SS (where he arguably has more value), rather than OF.

The other unknown here is the draft pick compensation itself, which I guess can't be changed until December of this year, and certainly that would have to apply to future offseasons and not the immediate 2016-17 one.

You also run the risk of having the QO accepted, which would leave you with a $17 million SS blocking Tim Anderson's path at that position. (Obviously, they'd still have the option to play Desmond at 2B, OF, DH, etc.)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 01:20 PM)
Jordan Bastian ‏@MLBastian 5s6 seconds ago

Indians offered similar salary range as WSox for Jackson, but he preferred Chicago. CLE would've needed to go much higher to convince him.

LOOOL.

Weren't the Indians rumoured on Fraizer and Lawrie too? We stole all their guys.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 05:30 AM)
Amen!

Eaton has the outlook on the Jackson signing and I agree with him 100%.. Well said, Eaton.

You sure he isn't acting out in a racist attack against him?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 05:46 PM)
They lost each game. My wife was upset that we spent that money on that team and refused to let me get another plan for this year unless they got a 3rd baseman and another outfielder. Done and done I told her last night! See ya all at the ball park!

Quite amused at the idea of wives or girlfriends complaining about the "entertainment value" of Sox baseball but men can't make similar comments about the need of some women to buy new handbags, jewelry, cosmetics and shoes every month??? Btw, if they had won all those games, seemingly that would have given you more justification to spend even more money on the Sox, right? Undoubtedly, it doesn't quite work that way.

Fwi, heard a crazy stat during the Angels broadcast today.

The White Sox didn't get a single homer from a LHB against a LHP all season in 2015? Really?

Caulfield, surely you don't think it's about entertainment value do you ? When the Sox lose it's all about the mood it puts the male Sox fan. Losing equals bad mood equals less helpful, less communication, less ... well you get the idea.

QUOTE (ypres @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 06:13 PM)
LOOOL.

Weren't the Indians rumoured on Fraizer and Lawrie too? We stole all their guys.

The avatar space really is perfect size for album covers isn't it ? Love my rock. I might have to get rid of angry Billy Bob and put some good album art there now.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 12:24 PM)
Caulfield, surely you don't think it's about entertainment value do you ? When the Sox lose it's all about the mood it puts the male Sox fan. Losing equals bad mood equals less helpful, less communication, less ... well you get the idea.

I do get pretty cranky when the Sox lose especially when I am at a game, but my wife may get more cranky than me. Her and I were at our last game in our plan and the Sox were losing by 5 or 6 runs in the 5th when there was a single hit out to Avi and he bounced the throw to the cutoff. She went ape crazy. She told me on the way home that she refused to put out more money on that team. That team last year kept her in a foul mood. She is excited about the Jackson/Frazier/Lawrie signings which allowed me to get a 14 game plan this year. Hopefully this team will keep her in a better mood this year......

QUOTE (Cessna98 @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 10:37 AM)
I do get pretty cranky when the Sox lose especially when I am at a game, but my wife may get more cranky than me. Her and I were at our last game in our plan and the Sox were losing by 5 or 6 runs in the 5th when there was a single hit out to Avi and he bounced the throw to the cutoff. She went ape crazy. She told me on the way home that she refused to put out more money on that team. That team last year kept her in a foul mood. She is excited about the Jackson/Frazier/Lawrie signings which allowed me to get a 14 game plan this year. Hopefully this team will keep her in a better mood this year......

So you married a Sox fan . That's awesome. It's always best to feel like you're getting more for your hard earned money, but if money isn't tight just getting out to watch your favorite team , win or lose, is always a great thing.

Really nice offseason by Hahn, especially considering the (relative) budget constraints. I wish that Hahn could've gotten an outfielder to sign a two- or three-year deal, as the Sox will need at least one more after this season (Avi is more of a DH than a position player). But it seems that many of them are intent on hitting free agency and cashing in next winter, so I guess you take what you can get.

I don't think that any of the big-name outfielders were good fits for the Sox. Upton wanted well over $100M and the Sox don't offer those contracts. Cespedes obviously wanted as much money as possible this season and wanted to bolt for free agency next year. Same for Fowler. Gordon wanted to stay in KC (can't blame him, either). Heyward was their only realistic fit, given that his contract is not guaranteed for its duration. But he had his pick of teams and the Sox aren't exactly high on the list of most free agents right now.

I'm not liking the idea of Avi being on the 25-man roster in April, though. I get that LaRoche could really use a platoon partner, but I'd much rather that Avi get as many at-bats as possible, and Charlotte is the best place for that. He has little-to-no defensive value and needs to learn to stop chasing junk out of the zone. So, unless LaRoche is injured/unproductive again or Eaton is forced to DH while his shoulder is on the mend, I'd prefer that Avi work on his swing (and defense) in AAA until September.

Edited by Black_Jack29

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 05:58 PM)
Really nice offseason by Hahn, especially considering the (relative) budget constraints. I wish that Hahn could've gotten an outfielder to sign a two- or three-year deal, as the Sox will need at least one more after this season (Avi is more of a DH than a position player). But it seems that many of them are intent on hitting free agency and cashing in next winter, so I guess you take what you can get.

I don't think that any of the big-name outfielders were good fits for the Sox. Upton wanted well over $100M and the Sox don't offer those contracts. Cespedes obviously wanted as much money as possible this season and wanted to bolt for free agency next year. Same for Fowler. Gordon wanted to stay in KC (can't blame him, either). Heyward was their only realistic fit, given that his contract is not guaranteed for its duration. But he had his pick of teams and the Sox aren't exactly high on the list of most free agents right now.

I'm not liking the idea of Avi being on the 25-man roster in April, though. I get that LaRoche could really use a platoon partner, but I'd much rather that Avi get as many at-bats as possible, and Charlotte is the best place for that. He has little-to-no defensive value and needs to learn to stop chasing junk out of the zone. So, unless LaRoche is injured/unproductive again or Eaton is forced to DH while his shoulder is on the mend, I'd prefer that Avi work on his swing (and defense) in AAA until September.

welcome aboard!!!!

for me, hahn didn't do crap, not until he gets at least 2 comp picks for the up coming draft in the first rn.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 11:58 AM)

Welcome to Soxtalk :cheers

I personally don't get all the love for Austin Jackson and why everyone thinks he's a lock to be a 160 game starter out there.

The guy hit .267 with 9 HR's last year. Avi had an awful year with basically the same stats. I realize there's a big difference in defense

but you have to believe at 24 years old Avi has a much larger upside at the plate. If Avi stays hot then I am not sure what they will

do out there, although I guess thats a good problem to have.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 04:43 PM)
I personally don't get all the love for Austin Jackson and why everyone thinks he's a lock to be a 160 game starter out there.

The guy hit .267 with 9 HR's last year. Avi had an awful year with basically the same stats. I realize there's a big difference in defense

but you have to believe at 24 years old Avi has a much larger upside at the plate. If Avi stays hot then I am not sure what they will

do out there, although I guess thats a good problem to have.

The addition of Jackson is greater within the context of our team and it's makeup.

1. The defensive difference between the two is MASSIVE

2. While Avi's upside is certainly higher, his floor is way lower. Jackson has had several seasons as an above average hitter and is a good bet to regress toward his career line

3. If Avi hits, we can still have his bat. He can platoon with LaRoche, replace Laroche completely, participate in a more equal job share with the corner guys (as forward-thinking teams like the Rays nad Dodgers have been doing for a few years now -- there's no evidence that playing 160 games is good for your health; 120 might be much better), or replace Melky outright. Lots of scenarios where he gets at-bats, the good part is that he only gets them if he earns them

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 03:54 PM)
The addition of Jackson is greater within the context of our team and it's makeup.

1. The defensive difference between the two is MASSIVE

2. While Avi's upside is certainly higher, his floor is way lower. Jackson has had several seasons as an above average hitter and is a good bet to regress toward his career line

3. If Avi hits, we can still have his bat. He can platoon with LaRoche, replace Laroche completely, participate in a more equal job share with the corner guys (as forward-thinking teams like the Rays nad Dodgers have been doing for a few years now -- there's no evidence that playing 160 games is good for your health; 120 might be much better), or replace Melky outright. Lots of scenarios where he gets at-bats, the good part is that he only gets them if he earns them

If Avi and LaRoche are both hitting I think this is what happens. There is still plenty of at bats to go around just using Avi to give rest to all 3 outfield guys (rotate Eaton and Jackson accordingly), give Abreu rest (DHing with LaRoche at 1st) and give him all of the DH starts with a lefty on the mound

DH with lefty on the mount - 36 games - 135-155 PAs

Each OF spot once every 2 weeks - 40 games - 150-170 PAs

Abreu rest twice every 3 weeks - 17 games - 65-75 PAs

Total of 93 games and 350 - 400 plate appearances.

Obviously the better he plays, the more he takes the place of somebody not playing as well.

This would still leave Eaton, Jackson and Cabrera with around 145-150 games (depending on how much you want to play Shuck), Abreu with

145 games and LaRoche with 143 games (maybe a bit much for LaRoche but you can substitute in the hot hand to give him more rest).

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 01:28 PM)
I'm sure someone in the twitterverse is thinking that. ;)

Random but I figure I'd quote you on this (you'll see why in a sec), but any time I see Jackson referred to as "Ajax" I can't help but think his actual name is "Francis." Haha

Anyone awesome will get this reference.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 11, 2016 -> 10:02 AM)
Random but I figure I'd quote you on this (you'll see why in a sec), but any time I see Jackson referred to as "Ajax" I can't help but think his actual name is "Francis." Haha

Anyone awesome will get this reference.

Lighten up.