4/5 Sox @ Oakland

Jose Abreu

The undefeated, first place White Sox take on a familiar foe in RHP Chris Bassitt.

Only one Sox hitter has ever faced Bassitt, and it is Alex Avila, who is 0-5.

Some notable Oakland stats vs. Quintana:

Billy Butler: 5-30 (.167), 0 HR, 1 RBI

Jed Lowrie: 3-7 (.429)

Josh Reddick: 1-9 (.111), 1 HR, 1 RBI

Danny Valencia: 2-17 (.118) 0 HR, 2 RBI

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick thoughts:

I said it to a few friends, but I believe this is the year of Quintana. I think all of his bad luck is going to be reversed. I see him toying with 20 wins this year. So game 1! I think we win this.

This team can't play as sloppy as last night ... I'd like to see a bit better game.

These late starts are a killer. Would have loved them a decade ago, but not so now. My schedule is work, go home, errands, nap for an hour, wake up for game time. Brutal today at work.

Sox really need to take 3 of 4 in this series. Anything less would be a huge disappointment in my eyes. This team is going to challenge the Braves for the worst record. We should have a good idea of Bassit and his stuff with him being in the organization. Let's exploit that.

Bassitt won't let up home runs. Very good at that. He will walk a few.. so let's see some patience. ERA at O.Co is in the 2's for Bassitt.

Sox win this one big. 8-2.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 5, 2016 -> 12:33 PM)
I want to see less f***ing running into outs, especially, ffs, when Jose Abreu is at the plate. If vince coleman is somehow still on this staff he should be fired.

So it would be Vince Coleman's fault someone gets picked off?

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 5, 2016 -> 11:33 AM)
I want to see less f***ing running into outs, especially, ffs, when Jose Abreu is at the plate. If vince coleman is somehow still on this staff he should be fired.

That was driving me up a wall. I'm tired of being a dumbass team at times.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 5, 2016 -> 12:35 PM)
So it would be Vince Coleman's fault someone gets picked off?

As usual you're so bogged down in pedantry that you miss the point: the Sox were by far, the worst running team in MLB last year. The metrics don't lie, neither does the eye test. Who was the baserunning coach last year? Vince Coleman. He was the coach of a league worst running offense. Fire him.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 5, 2016 -> 12:46 PM)
As usual you're so bogged down in pedantry that you miss the point: the Sox were by far, the worst running team in MLB last year. The metrics don't lie, neither does the eye test. Who was the baserunning coach last year? Vince Coleman. He was the coach of a league worst running offense. Fire him.

He was fired

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 5, 2016 -> 12:46 PM)

Do you even know if Vince Coleman is with the team?

Even if he is and is with the team, getting picked off wouldn't be on him. Maybe the first base coach, but it really would be on the player. In both instances it appeared the runners were going on first move and got burned although Lawrie if he could have kept his leg down would have been safe. But if you want to blame baserunning mistakes on a coach and not the players, you probably are going to continue to have the same problems. Guys getting picked off really wasn't as offensive as some of the baserunning last season.

You have to be aggressive. You can't run the bases scared, especially the guys who can run. If Adam Eaton is petrified about being picked off, he isn't going to be able to steal bases.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 5, 2016 -> 01:04 PM)
It seems like Eaton's been petrified in the past that then...

Eaton is just not a good baserunner I think we realized this his first season. He has speed but zero natural base stealing instincts. I saw that he had a massive lead last night and in my head I'm thinking "he's going". If I can see it at home, it's even more obvious to the players. Sure enough, he was going and got easily picked off.

In general I'd prefer this team to try and play station to station until proven otherwise. They have some power in the lineup don't give the other team outs when it might just take one swing to get a couple or a few runs.