5/17 - Astros @ White Sox Game Thread

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ May 17, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)
If the Sox can go 7-6 in every 13 game stretch from this point forward, they'll make the playoffs.

If any team went 7-6 every 13 games, they would finish 87-75. Decent shot at a WC. It goes to show the overreaction of a 2-4 roadtrip.

There isn't a team in baseball that won't have a 2-4 stretch this season.

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 17, 2016 -> 02:02 PM)
If any team went 7-6 every 13 games, they would finish 87-75. Decent shot at a WC. It goes to show the overreaction of a 2-4 roadtrip.

There isn't a team in baseball that won't have a 2-4 stretch this season.

throw that on top of starting the season 10 over, and we are looking at a win total in the low to mid 90's which should be plenty to make it in the AL.

CF Eaton, SS Rollins, 1B Abreu, DH Garcia, RF Cabrera, 2B Lawrie, CF Jackson, C Navarro, 3B Saladino.

Frazier getting his first day of the year off, against a lefty... Interesting. I will say, I like the design of this lineup.

Edited by SoCalSox

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ May 17, 2016 -> 11:20 AM)
they are 10 over but they are 5-5 in their last 10 & 7-6 in the month of May so far.

Others have hit on this, but can we just appreciate how nice it is that 5-5 in the last 10 is our seasonal low point and its mid-May? None of us would have made that prediction three months ago.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ May 17, 2016 -> 02:20 PM)
Sox have a chance to get back on track here. Yes, they are 10 over but they are 5-5 in their last 10 & 7-6 in the month of May so far.

This home stand is huge for them. If they can take 2 games in each, that'll leave them at 6-4 in that stretch & 30-18 overall. Really need to start seeing strong starts from pitchers not-named Chris Sale & Jose Quintana. Starts tonight with Rodon.

Who the hell is this dude?

No ToddFather tonight? I want my money back.

6/9/15 I leave the game early (Rodon v. Keuchel) and I miss Correa's first career HR.

Without planning it at all, I have just now realized I again am seeing Sox v. Stros, and Again it's Rodon v. Keuchel. So if history repeats, I will leave early will miss Colin Moran's first MLB HR.

Side note: What a difference in catcher philosophy. The Sox this year are making the catcher decision an offensive-minded choice from night to night.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2016 -> 03:00 PM)
I'm really confused as to what the purpose of Sands is on this roster.

its called "placeholder until better option makes itself apparent"

25th man on the roster. No idea why everyone gets all worked up over him

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2016 -> 03:00 PM)
I'm really confused as to what the purpose of Sands is on this roster.

I understand the whole "clubhouse vibe" and not wanting to disturb it but I am willing to wager Jerry Sands doesn't make or break it, thus him still being on the roster is nothing short of very puzzling.

Didn't really think about it until a few people brought it up on Twitter but have to wonder if this is a scheduled day off for Frazier or if something is up. Seems odd coming off a day off & a lefty who has struggled.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 17, 2016 -> 03:10 PM)
Because the last man on the bench still has a purpose. Sands is...sands.

And the last man on most benches isn't very good. If they were good, they wouldn't be the last man on the bench.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 17, 2016 -> 09:09 PM)
its called "placeholder until better option makes itself apparent"

25th man on the roster. No idea why everyone gets all worked up over him

Might as well have someone that can either run (L. Garcia) or someone that can spell Abreu at 1b.

Sucks that Rodon is matching up against a LHP, which means Navarro in the lineup. I believe Rodon has lost more strikes to bad calls by umpires/poor framing by the catchers than any other pitcher in baseball (by a lot), and I think Navarro is pretty complicit in that. Part of that is because he's hard to receive for, but Avila is better at it.

https://twitter.com/msimonespn/status/73117...src=twsrc%5Etfw

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ May 17, 2016 -> 09:12 PM)
Didn't really think about it until a few people brought it up on Twitter but have to wonder if this is a scheduled day off for Frazier or if something is up. Seems odd coming off a day off & a lefty who has struggled.

Daryl Van Schouwen saying Robin likes to give players a day off following an off day

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/frazier...tand-vs-astros/

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2016 -> 03:14 PM)
Might as well have someone that can either run (L. Garcia) or someone that can spell Abreu at 1b.

Leury makes so much more sense for this team as the 25th man, can play the outfield well, pinch runner, and probably lay a better bunt down than Sands need be.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2016 -> 01:42 PM)
Daryl Van SchouwenVerified account

‏@CST_soxvan

Todd Frazier apparently the weather to some extent. Not in lineup tonight.

Assuming he means "under the weather" as in sick, right?