Robin Ventura should definitely, certainly be fired today

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (captain54 @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 01:01 PM)
I don't think there's ever been any sports organization in the city, that I can recall, that spouts as much meaningless crap via the media .. it's borderline insulting….

why even bother?

It wasn't a press release. Why does Levine or any other media member think Hahn is going to give Robin an ultimatum? No team does that.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 01:26 PM)
It wasn't a press release. Why does Levine or any other media member think Hahn is going to give Robin an ultimatum? No team does that.

Yes true.. but the Sox brass are smart enough to understand the Bruce Levine types will run with any tidbit or scrap thrown their way… so in essence, a form of a press release..

"SO TAKE IT DOWNTOWN, AND PRINT IT ! "

Robin will be strung along for as long as possible.. Robin gets launched and the team continues to tank.. ? fingers get pointed back to Hahn...

QUOTE (captain54 @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 01:39 PM)
Yes true.. but the Sox brass are smart enough to understand the Bruce Levine types will run with any tidbit or scrap thrown their way… so in essence, a form of a press release..

"SO TAKE IT DOWNTOWN, AND PRINT IT ! "

Robin will be strung along for as long as possible.. Robin gets launched and the team continues to tank.. ? fingers get pointed back to Hahn...

Of course that is what will happen. Just check the Bulls. Not many people really had a problem with blaming the ogre Thibs for the Bulls not advancing in the playoffs. Gar launches him, they do worse. Guys still get hurt. Now the target is on Gar. Once they fire Robin, they better start winning or Hahn's job status will be the talk of White Sox fans until they do.

Especially when you bring in a college coach (the equivalent of not earning your stripes in the NBA).

While you can't exactly compare Ventura and Hoiberg (playing experience, but still much different recruiting talented JC and disenchanted transfer players into Ames), the Bulls' players certainly could identify the difference between Thibs and Hoiberg.

When you obviously go the wrong direction (less talented) in coaching because of an internal power struggle, eventually the execs in charge are going to have targets painted on their backs...because the fans only care about results or the bottom line.

While Brad Stevens has worked out wonderfully, and Donovan did pretty well this year....there are multiple examples of failed transitions from the college game littered across NBA history of the past 30 years or so.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 09:17 AM)
Heard Bruce Levine on the radio this morning and he said Hahn has not fired Robin yet because he feels the players are still trying hard. He said the reason they are bad are because of the moves he made have not worked out and it has nothing to do with Robin.

it's positive to hear that Hahn has such self-awareness.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 04:16 PM)
it's positive to hear that Hahn has such self-awareness.

It's frustrating imo. Ventura isn't part of the solution. That means he is part of the problem. Hahn's moves have generally been mediocre at best but RV's tactical decisions actively hurt the team on a weakly basis. His leadership, while less tangible, appears to be awful as well given how many players under-perform on a yearly basis under him.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 04:27 PM)
It's frustrating imo. Ventura isn't part of the solution. That means he is part of the problem. Hahn's moves have generally been mediocre at best but RV's tactical decisions actively hurt the team on a weakly basis. His leadership, while less tangible, appears to be awful as well given how many players under-perform on a yearly basis under him.

Of course Ventura is poor strategically and should have been fired at any time over the past 3 years. But it's pointless as long as the front office MO is to acquire more vets, especially the declining variety. No manager can win with that personnel.

But if Hahn is aware that his moves have stunk, maybe, just maybe, he'll stop making those type of moves.

Edited by GreenSox

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe it's not his fault or maybe it is...

But man these guys do not play loose or with confidence.

Roll up on the Atlanta Braves and the Angels and can't win.

I've just seen enough of Robin Ventura... maybe its not even on him. But I just want him to go away.

Edited by harkness

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 16, 2016 -> 11:02 PM)
He's definitely not going to get an extension. JR is gonna have to give him the bad news after the season. He can get reassigned somewhere if he wants to stay in baseball.

Logically you should be right...but these are the White Sox remember.

And even if he is let go, what makes you think JR will approve spending big money to bring in a competent manager with a track record? Hasn't happened since Jeff Torborg in 1989.

Knowing this organization it'll be another former player trying to "learn on the job."

Paging Jim Thome...paging Jim Thome.

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 07:17 AM)

And even if he is let go, what makes you think JR will approve spending big money to bring in a competent manager with a track record? Hasn't happened since Jeff Torborg in 1989.

Knowing this organization it'll be another former player trying to "learn on the job."

Mark

I might finally be done with the Sox (to the joy of Soxtalkers galore) if they name Buddy Bell the new manager. Won't be thrilled with Renteria but I guess I'll give him a chance at least.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 02:13 AM)
I might finally be done with the Sox (to the joy of Soxtalkers galore) if they name Buddy Bell the new manager. Won't be thrilled with Renteria but I guess I'll give him a chance at least.

I'm sorta getting there. Where is this lunacy of Buddy Bell being the manager. He gets paid quite well and seems there is no accountability for him.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 01:17 AM)

Mark

If any player wants to ruin their legacy as player they should always head coach or manage the team they played for.

Mark

What's worse is plenty of Sox fans buy into that. The ones that have coaching experience are not sought by other organizations as far as we know.

Mark

Robin Ventura managerial winning percentage .463. Jeff Torborg managerial winning percentage when the Sox hired him, .439. Some track record. Competence in Lip's world is only an interview with him away.

What is the cutoff to competent Lip? Torborg's career winning percentage is only .006 higher than Robin's.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 08:30 AM)
Robin Ventura will go directly into the HoF when his managerial career is over...no need to even insult him with a vote.

He will probably go in the same class as Guerra, Semien, Puig and Carter, no?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 08:53 AM)
No they will have to wait a minimum of five years, if not for the Veterans Committee.

What HoF career did you call recently? Let me guess, Chris Sale...

I don't call hall of fame careers before they are done. Seems like missing your shot results in showing your ass. Of course I could pretend I called it, but then someone might dig up an old quote when I said the opposite and show it to me