Carlos Rodon

NCsoxfan

How would you guys rate Rodon's career so far? Both in absolute terms and given where he was drafted? I feel like we take for granted what he's done given going almost straight to the majors. Obviously he hasn't taken the league by storm but still solid IMO.

I'm obviously a huge fan having watched him at my alma mater (NC State) and living a few miles from where he grew up.

I'm very pleased with him. He's a reliable mid-rotation starter with zero minor league seasoning 35 starts into his MLB career. Considering his stuff, he absolutely has the profile of the kind of guy who suddenly finds himself in All-Star/Cy Young discussions a year or so from now. And it will take people by surprise because he'll have been around for a while, but the truth is that he's getting his seasoning in the majors whereas most players do that in the minors.

B

Expectations were probably too high.

My main issue with Rodon right now is that he almost always gets hurt throwing 91-93 MPH fastballs when he can throw 95-97 and even hit 99 once or twice today. (Seems he's trying to emulate Sale, but lacking his command...maybe this comes from Don Cooper and wasn't Carlos' idea, in order for him to pitch deeper into games).

He's got TWO plus pitches in the A fastball and slider.

He walks too many, sometimes his pace/rhythm gets all out of whack and he tends to really get hurt with RISP and two outs.

That said, he's got two plus pitches, he's a lefty and he's only 23 still.

Carlos could be a dominant pitcher if he remembers how good his stuff is and has that swagger he had the 2nd half last year and in his career at NC State. The curveball and change are works in progress, and he probably needs to choose just one of the two and junk the other. He also needs to stop leaving them up in the strike zone when he does throw them.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 19, 2016 -> 07:34 PM)
B

My main issue with Rodon right now is that he almost always gets hurt throwing 91-93 MPH fastballs when he can throw 95-97 and even hit 99 once or twice today. (Seems he's trying to emulate Sale, but lacking his command...maybe this comes from Don Cooper and wasn't Carlos' idea, in order for him to pitch deeper into games).

I think this certainly comes from Cooper. Most pitchers lose velocity after Coop works with them for a while. Maybe it's time to try a fresh approach with White Sox pitchers.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 19, 2016 -> 08:28 PM)
I'm very pleased with him. He's a reliable mid-rotation starter with zero minor league seasoning 35 starts into his MLB career. Considering his stuff, he absolutely has the profile of the kind of guy who suddenly finds himself in All-Star/Cy Young discussions a year or so from now. And it will take people by surprise because he'll have been around for a while, but the truth is that he's getting his seasoning in the majors whereas most players do that in the minors.

Totally agree with everything here.

His doubters forget that he just turned 23, basically went straight to the pros and he's only been starting at the ML level for a little over a year. He's been having an impressive season and has made big strides with his control. He has a very high ceiling.

QUOTE (Jimmy3Putt @ Jun 20, 2016 -> 05:51 AM)
It sucks that he's taking his lumps in the majors.

By the time he's great he'll be on the Yankees or Red Sox.

Should of spent more time down.

He couldn't spend more time down. That was the caveat to taking and signing him. He would not be on the White Sox otherwise.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 20, 2016 -> 08:06 AM)
He couldn't spend more time down. That was the caveat to taking and signing him. He would not be on the White Sox otherwise.

Do you mean that there was some "wink and nod" agreement with Boras that the Sox would get his major league clock rolling within a year, in return for signing at slot or thereabouts?

Everything is a contrivance with this organization. They can't do normal development.

And it may not work out so well for Rodon either.

And it's beyond time for Cooper to go.

Edited by GreenSox

b+

I mean, kind of repeating what all are saying - but he's so young and was thrust into the majors. Look at some of the other real big talents and how they struggle in the Majors their first go round -- he has done that at times, but not nearly as bad.

I thought this year might be the one he took the jump to stardom -- which I think is a question of when not if. He's a good one.

The Sox could have a three headed monster if they ever put it together before blowing this team up.

He's fine. I didn't see a lot of people claiming we rushed Rodon and that he needed to take his lumps in Charlotte at the end of last season. If he were in Charlotte there'd be no lumps, he'd just be dominating.

We haven't seen his best baseball yet. It's unfortunate he hasn't rocketed off like Aaron Nola, but he also doesn't get to face all those squishy NL lineups.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 20, 2016 -> 08:18 AM)
Do you mean that there was some "wink and nod" agreement with Boras that the Sox would get his major league clock rolling within a year, in return for signing at slot or thereabouts?

Everything is a contrivance with this organization. They can't do normal development.

And it may not work out so well for Rodon either.

And it's beyond time for Cooper to go.

Yes. He signed for $6.8 million and one of the reasons was because he was going to be on a quick trajectory. It's working out fine for Rodon. He's on path to be a legit #1-#2 at some point next year. Rodon is the least of their worries.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 19, 2016 -> 09:57 PM)
Totally agree with everything here.

His doubters forget that he just turned 23, basically went straight to the pros and he's only been starting at the ML level for a little over a year. He's been having an impressive season and has made big strides with his control. He has a very high ceiling.

You are easily impressed. His era is up by .50 over last season and he has given up 11 HR in 13 games . He gave up 11 home runs in 26 games last year. His control is much better resulting in fewer walks. But agree he is only 23 and has a high ceiling if he can cut down on those high fly balls over the fence.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jun 20, 2016 -> 11:20 AM)
He's fine. I didn't see a lot of people claiming we rushed Rodon and that he needed to take his lumps in Charlotte at the end of last season. If he were in Charlotte there'd be no lumps, he'd just be dominating.

We haven't seen his best baseball yet. It's unfortunate he hasn't rocketed off like Aaron Nola, but he also doesn't get to face all those squishy NL lineups.

There would be clamouring to call him up.

I don't know what anyone has against Rodon. He is young, he will have some struggles, but if he stays healthy, he is going to dominate. If Don Cooper is the pitching guru he is built up to be, wouldn't you want him under his watchful eye rather than Richard Dotson's?

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 19, 2016 -> 08:44 PM)
I think this certainly comes from Cooper. Most pitchers lose velocity after Coop works with them for a while. Maybe it's time to try a fresh approach with White Sox pitchers.

It's not that they lose velocity. It's a philosophy of taking some off the fastball to get it more movement. 93 with movement is better than 97 straight as an arrow. also, always trying to throw hard puts a great deal of strain on the elbow. So it's not that they "lose" it. It's done with a purpose.

The problem with Rodon is the same when they drafted him. with his lack of follow through and finishing pitches, he has a difficult time being consistent and commanding the strike zone. He gets beat on the slower fastballs because he is behind in the count all the time and needs to throw fastballs.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 20, 2016 -> 08:00 PM)
It's not that they lose velocity. It's a philosophy of taking some off the fastball to get it more movement. 93 with movement is better than 97 straight as an arrow. also, always trying to throw hard puts a great deal of strain on the elbow. So it's not that they "lose" it. It's done with a purpose.

The problem with Rodon is the same when they drafted him. with his lack of follow through and finishing pitches, he has a difficult time being consistent and commanding the strike zone. He gets beat on the slower fastballs because he is behind in the count all the time and needs to throw fastballs.

The ironic thing about it is Coops biggest success story was Matt Thornton, and when he lost a couple of MPH he wasn't nearly as effective.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 20, 2016 -> 02:34 AM)
B

He's got TWO plus pitches in the A fastball and slider.

He walks too many, sometimes his pace/rhythm gets all out of whack and he tends to really get hurt with RISP and two outs.

That said, he's got two plus pitches, he's a lefty and he's only 23 still.

Carlos could be a dominant pitcher if he remembers how good his stuff is and has that swagger he had the 2nd half last year and in his career at NC State. The curveball and change are works in progress, and he probably needs to choose just one of the two and junk the other. He also needs to stop leaving them up in the strike zone when he does throw them.

Excellent assessment of Rodon.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 20, 2016 -> 07:23 PM)
The ironic thing about it is Coops biggest success story was Matt Thornton, and when he lost a couple of MPH he wasn't nearly as effective.

Loaiza/Contreras.

And Contreras ALWAYS had more movement on his fastball AND forkball when he wasn't overthrowing it. Putnam, the same.

And some pitchers, even if Nate Jones throws his fastball in the 93-96 MPH range, it's not suddenly going to jump all over the place. It will still be pretty darned straight.