Marlins scouting Mig Gonzalez

southsider2k5

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 01:22 PM)
I actually like what I see out of Gonzalez.

Given the reputation we have for developing arms, I'm not so sure why he's so destined to blow up.

Honestly I have nothing really solid to base it on, though two worries come to mind. #1 is how he fell off with Baltimore. #2 it seems like when we rescue these guys, they do have a short shelf life, and soon revert back to mediocrity.

What he has working in his favor this year is that his velocities are all up across the board compared to last year with BAL. He is actually having his best year ever in terms of average FB velocity according to fangraphs. He also seems to have moved away from his fastball and become more of a guy who works backwards in terms of using his off speed stuff a lot more.

Is that sustainable? That is the question.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about trading Gonzalez to the Marlins for reliever Carter Capps.

Since the Marlins appear to be" going for it" and can't really afford to trade any meaningful part of this years team to get talent- Capps would be an interesting alternative.

I know that Capps had tommy john surgery in March of this year, but he was lights out as a reliever in the second half of last year.(1.16 era with 58k in 31IP) and is projected to be ready for the beginning of the 2017 season.

Don't get me wrong if we could get Kolek ,I would be ecstatic but Capps would be an interesting option.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 01:51 PM)
In 130 IP, he has 4.55 ERA, 1.56 WHIP, 6.7 K/9, and 5.1 BB/9. In comparison, Spencer Adams, who was drafted in the same draft, has a 3.51 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, 7.3 K/9, and a 1.5 BB/9 in 284 IP and is currently in AA. From everything I've seen, not a lot of people regard Spencer Adams as that great of a prospect, so Im not even sure what I would consider Kolek. A guy that throws hard but has no control and despite his velo, doesnt strike out a lot of people? On top of that, he now has health problems? Not that interested.

Numbers aren't everything. He had TJ (HS arm, to be expected), and throws consistently high 90s.You get as many of those arms in your system as you can get and hope for the best.

QUOTE (2Dbill @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 01:04 PM)
What about trading Gonzalez to the Marlins for reliever Carter Capps.

Since the Marlins appear to be" going for it" and can't really afford to trade any meaningful part of this years team to get talent- Capps would be an interesting alternative.

I know that Capps had tommy john surgery in March of this year, but he was lights out as a reliever in the second half of last year.(1.16 era with 58k in 31IP) and is projected to be ready for the beginning of the 2017 season.

Don't get me wrong if we could get Kolek ,I would be ecstatic but Capps would be an interesting option.

I'm pretty sure you can't trade guys on the 60-day DL

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 02:03 PM)
Honestly I have nothing really solid to base it on, though two worries come to mind. #1 is how he fell off with Baltimore. #2 it seems like when we rescue these guys, they do have a short shelf life, and soon revert back to mediocrity.

What he has working in his favor this year is that his velocities are all up across the board compared to last year with BAL. He is actually having his best year ever in terms of average FB velocity according to fangraphs. He also seems to have moved away from his fastball and become more of a guy who works backwards in terms of using his off speed stuff a lot more.

Is that sustainable? That is the question.

If we can make a Loaiza every once in awhile its worth it to keep him and deal for value.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 02:07 PM)
I'm pretty sure you can't trade guys on the 60-day DL

I'm almost positive you can trade a guy on the 60 day dl, that's why Yankees were trying to get Schwarber who is on the 60 day dl and there was no issue with that.

QUOTE (Condor13 @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 02:09 PM)
I'm almost positive you can trade a guy on the 60 day dl, that's why Yankees were trying to get Schwarber who is on the 60 day dl and there was no issue with that.

Maybe it's 15 day then, not sure. There is SOME rule against trading injured guys, though.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 03:24 PM)
Maybe it's 15 day then, not sure. There is SOME rule against trading injured guys, though.

I'm guessing it's 60 since they don't have to be on the 40 man roster. You probably have to reinstate them to trade them and then they can go back on the 60 or 15.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 02:16 PM)
This board would not care about Tatis at all if he weren't traded for Shields.

Until one of those A ball international guys turns out good.....like Montas and several on the Cubs and Redsox.

Regardless, just getting that contract off the books would be a plus.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 03:10 PM)
Until one of those A ball international guys turns out good.....like Montas and several on the Cubs and Redsox.

Regardless, just getting that contract off the books would be a plus.

The Lat Am prospects have been improving, a couple popping up on the Top 30.

I guarantee no one, including you, would have given a damn about Tatis if he wasn't in the Shields deal.

As for Shields' contract, it's not bad for the Sox because the Padres are picking up so much.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 03:18 PM)
Lot of people thought that was a dumb trade at the time and even more do now, so don't try to bully Greenie. ;)

And I guarantee 95% of the people on the board didn't give a s*** about Tatis and probably were writing him off as a White Sox LatAm signing. My guess is a vast majority of the board didn't even know he existed.

After the trade many were penciling him in as a future MLB player.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 02:20 PM)
And I guarantee 95% of the people on the board didn't give a s*** about Tatis and probably were writing him off as a White Sox LatAm signing. My guess is a vast majority of the board didn't even know he existed.

After the trade many were penciling him in as a future MLB player.

Yeah, I don't recall hearing his name ever between the July 2 signing and the trade.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)
All you have to know is the Sox gave him $700K to sign which is a boatload for this org.

Here's how often people mentioned him before June this year.

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Asoxt...2F2016&tbm=

Sorry, he was mentioned once.

When signed.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...p;#entry3190653

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 02:15 PM)
The Lat Am prospects have been improving, a couple popping up on the Top 30.

I guarantee no one, including you, would have given a damn about Tatis if he wasn't in the Shields deal.

As for Shields' contract, it's not bad for the Sox because the Padres are picking up so much.

Anyone who follows the major league organization, not just the major league team, should be aware; perhaps not of Tatis specifically, but of the importance of those A ball players in developing an org. Once again see the Red Sox,Cubs, Dodgers: teams that actually developed great systems. Tatis was a WhiteSox bonus baby.

They are still paying $9 million per for a pitcher with bad peripherals. I note with interest that the Jays are only paying $5 million per and Upton was having a good year (and Shields was not, to say the least).

I wasn't lamenting tatis in my post anyway. My point is if they can get out of this essentially as a wash, they should take it and run. More confidence in Gonzo going forward anyway.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 02:47 PM)
Anyone who follows the major league organization, not just the major league team, should be aware; perhaps not of Tatis specifically, but of the importance of those A ball players in developing an org. Once again see the Red Sox,Cubs, Dodgers: teams that actually developed great systems.

They are still paying $9 million per for a pitcher with bad peripherals. I note with interest that the Jays are only paying $5 million per and Upton was having a good year.

Haha....whaaaa?