White Sox with a golden opportunity?

NCsoxfan

With all the names circulating, it's dawning on me that this might be a golden opportunity for the White Sox to rebuild. There seems to be a lot of interest in at least a half a dozen White Sox player. Not only that but it's a sellers market & we are dealing from a position of strength.

If we play our cards right, we could set ourselves up for the next decade by tearing down & sacrificing the next few seasons.

I just hope management can have this longer term vision and realize that this particular deadline (and probably offseason) set them up really well to rebuild. Would be so frustrating if they see false hope from a small winning streak, etc.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 07:59 AM)
With all the names circulating, it's dawning on me that this might be a golden opportunity for the White Sox to rebuild. There seems to be a lot of interest in at least a half a dozen White Sox player. Not only that but it's a sellers market & we are dealing from a position of strength.

If we play our cards right, we could set ourselves up for the next decade by tearing down & sacrificing the next few seasons.

I just hope management can have this longer term vision and realize that this particular deadline (and probably offseason) set them up really well to rebuild. Would be so frustrating if they see false hope from a small winning streak, etc.

If they keep Sale and Quintana, they won't rebuild and will try to compete next year. You have to try if you keep them.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 08:02 AM)
If they keep Sale and Quintana, they won't rebuild and will try to compete next year. You have to try if you keep them.

Right. For all the control the White Sox have over Sale and Quintana, it's still only a few seasons. If the White Sox tried to rebuild without moving either pitcher, they would be bad enough to waste all of the control and squander player value.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 09:06 AM)
Right. For all the control the White Sox have over Sale and Quintana, it's still only a few seasons. If the White Sox tried to rebuild without moving either pitcher, they would be bad enough to waste all of the control and squander player value.

Part of my point, we have a really good "window" right now to maximize value and set ourselves up. The window won't last forever as players can get hurt, you squander control, player value, etc. I really hope mgmt recognizes this and trades (assuming good offers): Q, one of Gonzalez/Shields, Frazier, Robertson, and one more wildcard?

The Sox really do have a golden opportunity here. They have the chance, if done right, to build a hell of a team for the future. Of course there is risk when trading for top prospects, but there's a point when a team has to take that chance. It seems like this could be that time for the Sox. The big question is, do we trust this front office to make the right moves?

Frazier

Cabrera

Robertson

Nate Jones

Duke

Gonzalez

Lawrie (DL)

Navarro (minimal value)

Austin Jackson (August)

Sale and Q

The problem is that Fulmer can't be throwing/slinging 90-92 mph out of the bullpen like Tyler Danish.

And Burdi, Collins and Hansen all need to make significant impacts. Adams, too.

Otherwise, you're relying on Hahn to "win" nearly all of those trades, which is way too much to expect.

Edited by caulfield12

yea you do and it will end up like this year. Too many holes, too little talent.

But as per the OP, this is an ideal time to rebuild. Some contending teams really lack pitching; the FA market is weak.

This rebuild could go quickly IF properly executed. That's a big IF with Rick Hahn doing the evaluating and trade negotiation.

And for goodness sakes, send Fulmer back down.

Edited by GreenSox

I don't know if there has ever been a team in this position.

Strong seller's market (especially for pitching) with two young, left-handed aces under control that teams are banging down the door for. A stud in RF. Four BP arms that can draw interest. Two veteran hitters (Frazier and Melky) that could draw interest.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 09:22 AM)

Strong seller's market (especially for pitching) with two young, left-handed aces under control that teams are banging down the door for. A stud in RF. Four BP arms that can draw interest. Two veteran hitters (Frazier and Melky) that could draw interest.

But will anyone pay the requisite price for those young aces? That remains the question. I still don't think it'll happen.

I don't see the Sox trading both Sale and Quintana. Gonzalez is gone next year and they'd probably prefer to dump Shields if they can. If all four of those guys are gone, they have Rodon, an unproven Fulmer, and three holes to fill.

If think it's more likely that Hahn deals Sale for a couple of really good young ML-ready players and a veteran #3 or #4 starter sometime in the next 12 months.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 10:22 AM)

To note - apparently the market for OF/DH types has been pretty limited for Beltran, so I wouldn't expect much for the bolded.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 10:21 AM)
I don't see the Sox trading both Sale and Quintana. Gonzalez is gone next year and they'd probably prefer to dump Shields if they can. If all four of those guys are gone, they have Rodon, an unproven Fulmer, and three holes to fill.

If think it's more likely that Hahn deals Sale for a couple of really good young ML-ready players and a veteran #3 or #4 starter sometime in the next 12 months.

Gonzalez has one more year of control left.

All I want to say in this thread is...if management goes the other way, declares that they're not sellers, tries bringing in veterans to plug holes again this offseason, please remember how we got there come the offseason when you're tempted to say "Hey we got an all star at position x this is awesome!".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 11:40 AM)
All I want to say in this thread is...if management goes the other way, declares that they're not sellers, tries bringing in veterans to plug holes again this offseason, please remember how we got there come the offseason when you're tempted to say "Hey we got an all star at position x this is awesome!".

We all want a solid contender to be built, right? The overwhelming consensus here (whether we're right or wrong) is that bringing in veterans to plug holes hasn't worked & won't work if we try it again (definition of insanity right?). Do I doubt that some move veteran addition could be made that looks good in itself? Of course not. But we don't believe that the aggregate product will look much different than right now.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 11:47 AM)
We all want a solid contender to be built, right? The overwhelming consensus here (whether we're right or wrong) is that bringing in veterans to plug holes hasn't worked & won't work if we try it again (definition of insanity right?). Do I doubt that some move veteran addition could be made that looks good in itself? Of course not. But we don't believe that the aggregate product will look much different than right now.

However, last offseason, people convinced themselves of exactly that. Hence why I said this. Remember where we are now and how we got there when judging the next batch of moves.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 10:47 AM)

The Sox aren't gonna move Sale or Q. This FO only knows how to do one thing and that is rebuild on the fly. It's very difficult to teach an old dog any new tricks. The Sox will bring back the same core next year and try to dumpster dive again in the offseason with veterans to fill CF, C, and DH.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 10:58 AM)
However, last offseason, people convinced themselves of exactly that. Hence why I said this. Remember where we are now and how we got there when judging the next batch of moves.

This is an important thought. I noted it during the offseason, and I think I know what you're getting at. The Sox have guys with value on short contracts. They brought in Frazier, Lawrie, Melky, Robertson and then they have their core to deal from. The Sox set themselves up nicely to be sellers should the situation call for it. Each of our players that we could deal, which are numerous, could bring back reasonable returns.

The Sox could load up with a few more like players during the offseason and still be set up well to sell if they need to.

I'm torn because I like a lot of our players but still, the Sox need to reload their farm and the OP is right, this is a golden opportunity. I lean towards selling, but to properly rebuild I think you have to sell from the core as well.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 11:21 AM)

Welcome to rebuilding.

If they start a rebuild, expect them to be god awful next year.

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 11:14 AM)
The Sox aren't gonna move Sale or Q. This FO only knows how to do one thing and that is rebuild on the fly. It's very difficult to teach an old dog any new tricks. The Sox will bring back the same core next year and try to dumpster dive again in the offseason with veterans to fill CF, C, and DH.

That is certainly what history would suggest.