Is this a PR Disaster for the Sox?

shipps

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 05:09 PM)
Honestly, it feels like they didn't do anything at the trade deadline because neither Williams nor Hahn will man up and take responsibility for the failure of the last two offseasons.

Probably both were scrambling around to stake out the opposite position of the other, and neither wanted to go to JR, so pretty much nothing got done. Surprise!!!

It doesn't make any sense not to have gotten together a MONTH AGO and started trading assets like Robertson, Cabrera and Frazier. If this front office could only for ONCE get on the same freaking page and go to JR collectively and tell him they screwed up and the only way out of it is to do XYZ, then there would at least be a glimmer of hope.

Then JR can decide whether to keep both of them or fire both of them. Instead, it's like Ozzie vs. KW where it feels like they're positioning for one to survive the other and have total control.

In the offseason, we can get Betts or Bradley, Jr., or Bogaerts for Sale. Great. The team is in exactly the same position it was...unless Rodon or Fulmer decide to impersonate Cy Young contenders. We needed to make the kind of move that would bring in 2-3 potential starters offensively...or 2-3 future starting pitchers, like the proposed trade with the Dodgers.

This was the PERFECT time to strike like the Yankees did and load up on prospects who will be coming up in 2017-18 and no later than 2019. Even the Pirates sold off, because they know they have the core in place (other than McCutcheon) for the next 3-4 years and won't gamble it all for another wild card game. Brewers, Padres, everyone ended up looking better than us.

But excellent, we have another outfield version of Carlos Sanchez or Micah Johnson to entertain us for the next couple of months in Tilson. And we get to see how Dan Jennings does in high leverage situations. Oh, boy.

What did the Royals do? Why didn't the Angels trade Trout?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 06:31 PM)
they suck bro. wtf is your problem? Every single time I un ignore one of your posts you're trolling and I immediately regret it.

here, let me spell it out for you: AVI GARCIA AND CARLOS SANCHEZ BOTH f***ING.

god forbid I'd like to give younger players a shot rather than bringing in endless veteran retreads or never will be anythings like Micah f***ing Johnson and JB Shuck. Guess what? BOTH AVI AND SANCHEZ, WHO COULD HAVE GIVEN THE SOX YOUNG COST CONTROLLED 2-4 WAR PlAY, ARE BELOW REPLACEMENT! THE CORNERSTONE OF THE PEAVY TRADE IS NOTHING! YEA HIGH FIVE ME BRUH!

AWESOME!

f*** this entire org right now. it's pathetic.

People here in Seattle are pissed off well at least they made more than one f***ing move.

Agreed. There's just not enough accountability and a sense of urgency here. This owner seems complacent with being mired in mediocrity.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 05:31 PM)
The White Sox are pretty lucky to have anyone left to tell other fans how to act/behave.

The Score guys were doing the exact same thing yesterday afternoon....everyone questioning the front office or ownership was told quite bluntly...why be a fan of that team if it bothers you so much or you don't trust them to make the right decisions?

Well, that leads to the whole point of fandom...none of us started following the White Sox franchise because of the ownership group or GM, it's because of the uniform itself, and the players who wear that jersey. So I'll have to disagree on that point, that just because you don't believe in the front office or JR means you have to stop being a fan of the team itself. That's pretty much ridiculous.

This is a solid post, thank you

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 06:10 PM)
I've always thought that this trade is a lot more doable in the off-season and honestly, I think Sale will be traded to Boston sometime this winter meetings. I think Boston will fall apart due to their pitching and cave for Sale. What will it be? Not sure.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 06:28 PM)
The importance of centerfield. Betts can and did play center field for Boston. But Bradley forced the move to RF. Bradley may have the most best/accurate arm from CF in baseball. Betts may be a little better offensively but he is not the CF Bradley is. He is a good RF. He also has a Fenway swing and as you state is younger.

If Moncada and Benintendi are ML ready after this year, they might be tempted to move Betts + for Q. Seems like rumors in Boston was Sale was really not for sale and won't be in the winter.

Agreed on both counts.

Even after Big Poopie retires, the Red Sox will still have a ton of offensive talent, and I don't foresee DD wanting to rely heavily on Porcello. Price has been iffy in the recent past as well. I think that one of the "B" outfielders ends up in Chicago.

I still see the Sox dealing Sale instead of Q, but perhaps I'll be proven wrong.

Sox dont need a total rebuild. Keys to 2016:

Injuries: Austin jackson, Putnam, petrika, Avila

Implosions: Albers, abreu

Misc implosions / DL / disappointment : shields, Navarro, Lawrie, Frazier, Robertson , bench, farm system

Biggest -WAR: Robin Ventura

With a decent manager this team should be 5-10 over 500, if everything is clicking like it should we're right there with Cleveland

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 05:20 PM)
I thought that this web site was for the purpose of serious baseball discussion, not childish emotional incontinence.

But apparently I was wrong about that.

This isn't a serious baseball team, therefore won't be serious discussion lol

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 06:46 PM)
Agreed on both counts.

Even after Big Poopie retires, the Red Sox will still have a ton of offensive talent, and I don't foresee DD wanting to rely heavily on Porcello. Price has been iffy in the recent past as well. I think that one of the "B" outfielders ends up in Chicago.

I still see the Sox dealing Sale instead of Q, but perhaps I'll be proven wrong.

Both pitchers could be gone, but I think Sale for sure. Just my gut feeling. I think Boston will pony up the money.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 06:10 PM)
Sox dont need a total rebuild. Keys to 2016:

Injuries: Austin jackson, Putnam, petrika, Avila

Implosions: Albers, abreu

Misc implosions / DL / disappointment : shields, Navarro, Lawrie, Frazier, Robertson , bench, farm system

Biggest -WAR: Robin Ventura

With a decent manager this team should be 5-10 over 500, if everything is clicking like it should we're right there with Cleveland

WAT

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 06:46 PM)
Agreed on both counts.

The serious baseball discussion we need

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 10:20 PM)
Lip I think there were some pretty good years between 1968-1980. 72-73-74 with Dick Allen and the Winnning Ugly of 77 were exciting years. People were charged up
1973 and 74 were good years? Neither were winning seasons and the combined record is 157-165. They fell off a cliff in 1973 and their star player quit on them before the end of the season in 1974.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 06:02 PM)
Remember when people were trying to say that Sox fans weren't bitter and angry...
I remember the first time I set foot in old Comiskey. I was all of 7 years old. The ball park was like a magical place to me. The fans had a robustness about them and the place was full of Damon Runyon like characters. The Sox dropped a double header to Cleveland that day but I was hooked. On everything, the park, atmosphere and the team. The following year we went back and this time the Sox beat the Tribe twice and later that year won the pennant to boot. The next year I went to my first Cubs game. Wrigley was dreary, although the grass and ivy were nice and there was a cool breeze off the lake. Attendance was sparse, including nice ladies from Iowa who came on tour buses and high toned ones from the North Shore. Cub scout troops who yelled incessantly "We want a hit!" every time the Cubs were at bat. No Damon Runyon like characters, all so polite nice and pollyana like. I was glad to be a kid who was a Sox fan. Even then I liked the gritty reality of a Sox game over the oh so nice experience of Wrigley Field. Even the roar of the crowd when the home team did something sounded different. I've always felt more at home with the passion Sox fans bring, including the b****ing and moaning when things go badly. Sox fans are among the most loyal, but they want to win, even though the history of the franchise is mostly one of frustration and failure. We never would have called our team "lovable losers." Now things have changed, just like life in general. Well I retain my right to root for the Sox and to call this ownership group out for the out of touch floundering organization that it is. Apparently some think this should be illegal.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 04:44 PM)
many have taken a financial stance against the White Sox. I'll tune into games, but I'm not spending my money on tickets, parking, food, and adult beverages to watch this nonsense in person."

You'd have to really be a baseball fan, or have money to burn, to buy season tickets to the White Sox the past few seasons. This team is just plain unwatchable again. Even our best prospect, Anderson, is now down to .270 cause he is incapable of drawing a base on balls. I don't think the Sox will move, but at the same time, this team is currently unwatchable.

I was thinking the other day, we need a player (everyday player) who is a star to get us back on track. I thought it'd be Abreu, but he appears to be nothing special. We need a player in the realm of Paulie, Baines, Thomas, Ventura. We need a consistent star to pave the way on a daily basis. We do have a franchise in Sale, but I mean an everyday player.

Right now Sox are the embarrassment of baseball with them being the patsies of the Central Division yet another season.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)
I can't see how this is a PR disaster. Something to keep in mind is that Soxtalk posters are largely the 1% of the fanbase, in regards to org knowledge (roster, minors, FO, etc). To assume Jimbo McLunchbox is upset because the Sox DIDN'T trade his favorite player for 5 guys he's never heard of... is pretty ridiculous.

I like this post. The hiring of Robin Ventura was a worst PR disaster. He didn't even fill out an application.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 05:32 PM)
What did the Royals do? Why didn't the Angels trade Trout?

Decided to hold onto Cain, Hosmer, Moustakas, Volquez, Duffy, Escobar and Davis until next All Star Break.

When Hochevar and Davis got hurt, it sort of forced their hand. They'll probably sign Morneau to replace Morales.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 10:24 PM)
Decided to hold onto Cain, Hosmer, Moustakas, Volquez, Duffy, Escobar and Davis until next All Star Break.

When Hochevar and Davis got hurt, it sort of forced their hand. They'll probably sign Morneau to replace Morales.

They should've moved Davis before he got hurt lol

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 05:20 PM)
Lip I think there were some pretty good years between 1968-1980. 72-73-74 with Dick Allen and the Winnning Ugly of 77 were exciting years. People were charged up

Not really. 1968-1971 were all losing seasons. 1970 was a horrific year with 106 losses. A switch in GM and Manager brought a 92 win season in 1972. The only other year you would consider "exciting" was 77'..

Four straight losing seasons 1968-1971

Four straight losing seasons. 1986--1989

In the process of the fourth straight losing season 2013 -2016

Prior to 1968, the last run of Sox losing seasons ended in 1950

If things continue as is in 2016, it will only be the 3rd time in 66 yrs the Sox have had 4 straight losing seasons. That's 3 generations of Sox fans.

What's alarming is that GM and managerial changes were made subsequent to those funks. Yet, the status quo currently remains in Sox Land 16'

That's why I believe fans deserve a break. To call fans out for being negative is absurd. This is a historic run of bad baseball

Edited by captain54

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 09:14 PM)
I was thinking the other day, we need a player (everyday player) who is a star to get us back on track. I thought it'd be Abreu, but he appears to be nothing special. We need a player in the realm of Paulie, Baines, Thomas, Ventura. We need a consistent star to pave the way on a daily basis. We do have a franchise in Sale, but I mean an everyday player.

Our right fielder says hi.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 10:27 AM)
Yes, but they still have a LONG way to go before they hit rock bottom. You and others seem to assume that their current trajectory isn't going to change until they can't draw flies and are forced to move to Las Vegas. I really doubt that's going to happen.

Look at the Sox in the '90s. They went from division champs to the best team in the AL to the strike. And then they began selling off their pitching staff, tried to get back to competitiveness with two key FA signings, sold off at the end of July, and pissed off the fan base again. Then they continued to lose key players to free agency and bottomed out in 1999. Then they won 95 games in 2000 and their fortunes were suddenly reversed.

I'm not saying that the Sox are going to win 95 games next year (or the following year), but history strongly suggests that they're not going to marinate in mediocrity forever and eventually fade into nonexistence. They have a handful of really nice players who are under contract for the next 4-5 years and a farm system that's beginning to come back. If they can trade Sale sometime in the next 12 months, they'll be in even better shape down the road.

Are you sure about this? How much worse can this organization get when you think holisitcally about the state of things today? The team is at the bottom of the league in attendance and TV ratings. The farm system is in the bottom five in all of baseball. Four losing seasons in a row which matches the longest streak in the team's history. Only one playoff appearance and playoff win in over a decade now. A management team whose credibility is increasingly being questioned in the media. What does "rock bottom" look like in comparison to all of this?