World Series: Indians vs. Cubs

LittleHurt05

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 23, 2016 -> 06:32 PM)
It makes sense, but I have never seen more Cubs shirts/hats worn than what I saw today. Even in a predominantly White Sox area, it was almost all Cubs fans.

Don't go to my Walmart. Packed with cub fans today. Parking lot full of W flags. Bandwagon central.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 23, 2016 -> 06:51 PM)
I'd be pissed if I were a Tribe fan. Even though they have one of the longest droughts in baseball history it's going to be Cubs this and Cubs that throughout the entire series. Straight up Cubs overload.

And LeBron took away the storyline of the city's long futility too.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 23, 2016 -> 05:00 PM)
And LeBron took away the storyline of the city's long futility too.

Yeah, that's true. The Indians are sort of gravy at this point. Not that the Indians don't have their own history and storyline, but you are absolutely right. The Indians are playing second fiddle not only to the Cubs, but the Cavs as well.

QUOTE (Tony @ Oct 23, 2016 -> 06:27 PM)
Has this been talked about? Since Theo took over in 2012, the Cubs record is 400-409 (without playoff record). This is obviously including the full rebuild they went through, including a 101 loss season, and a 96 loss season. They told fans this was a 5 year process, and things would be rough early on.

During that same stretch, the Sox are 375-435, and have tried to "go for it" every year.

Just some food for thought.

Wow. This is depressing stuff. Further evidence that everyone involved with running this franchise deserves to be fired immediately.

QUOTE (Tony @ Oct 23, 2016 -> 06:27 PM)
Has this been talked about? Since Theo took over in 2012, the Cubs record is 400-409 (without playoff record). This is obviously including the full rebuild they went through, including a 101 loss season, and a 96 loss season. They told fans this was a 5 year process, and things would be rough early on.

During that same stretch, the Sox are 375-435, and have tried to "go for it" every year.

Just some food for thought.

What was the Tigers record during that 5 year stretch? They "go for it" every year too.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 23, 2016 -> 07:02 PM)
Yeah, that's true. The Indians are sort of gravy at this point. Not that the Indians don't have their own history and storyline, but you are absolutely right. The Indians are playing second fiddle not only to the Cubs, but the Cavs as well.

And Game 1 is the same night as the Cavs opening night and ring ceremony right down the street.

QUOTE (Tony @ Oct 23, 2016 -> 07:35 PM)
Great, the Tigers are just as bad as the Sox. That doesn't help me, or any of us. :(

Averaged 87 wins a year and 3 playoff appearances. How is that bad?

Both strategies can work but the owner and the front office have to be on the same page. And good at their job.

Cubs in 5.

However if Cleveland wins the first two it will be very interesting but I actually think not having the home field might benefit the Cubs. I never thought the 2-3-2 was very beneficial for the team with home field advantage. Quite frankly though I just think the Cubs are the better team.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Oct 23, 2016 -> 10:18 PM)
Giants and dodgers were really weak teams, cubs should of swept both teams. Indians have been hot throughout playoffs , cubs have them talent wise but it depends on how the cubs hit. Unfortunately cubs are built to win the next 3-5 years with no competition in sight in national league. I'm hoping Indians win in seven, but cubs probably got them in five games as long as they hit the ball or don't have a mental breakdown that leads to a choke . Not only do the cubs have top young talent theyve also bought a the finishing pieces to puzzle , more timely than Yanks/bosox ever have. I think this year and next year will be theyre prime dominant years and they'll slowly decline due to bad contracts , injuries , and lack off high draft picks

I think this post says it all. Agree with everything here. The ultimate decline depends on the improvements Epstein makes after they win the WS this year and next. Funny thing is after the curse and everything, they might go on a Yankee like dynasty of the old days. Cubs could win the WS 3 of the next five years starting now, maybe 4.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 23, 2016 -> 02:38 PM)
One of the crappy things about being a Chicago transplant out here is getting a ton of texts and social media posts from everyone here, congratulating me for the Cubs success. I feel like throwing my phone against the wall.

Feel your pain.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 23, 2016 -> 06:51 PM)
I'd be pissed if I were a Tribe fan. Even though they have one of the longest droughts in baseball history it's going to be Cubs this and Cubs that throughout the entire series. Straight up Cubs overload.

It was going to be obviously unbalanced. How many Indian fans out there vs how many Cubs ones? Who will the media entertain for?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 23, 2016 -> 10:00 PM)
I think this post says it all. Agree with everything here. The ultimate decline depends on the improvements Epstein makes after they win the WS this year and next. Funny thing is after the curse and everything, they might go on a Yankee like dynasty of the old days. Cubs could win the WS 3 of the next five years starting now, maybe 4.

Bet the house on that?

I actually felt really happy seeing some of my friends bask in the glory of going to the WS. They have suffered through all the Cubs s*** longer than I have known them and they have earned this.

But on the other side of it there were so many that were too drunk to remember it or really soak it all in. This is what has always driven me crazy about the Cubs fans. It truly is just a party for them and a lot of them didnt experience the baseball aspect of it or its significance. Just piss faced drunk rambling on facebook about how you are so emotional. f*** off, you wont even remember the game.

QUOTE (shipps @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 08:07 AM)
I actually felt really happy seeing some of my friends bask in the glory of going to the WS. They have suffered through all the Cubs s*** longer than I have known them and they have earned this.

But on the other side of it there were so many that were too drunk to remember it or really soak it all in. This is what has always driven me crazy about the Cubs fans. It truly is just a party for them and a lot of them didnt experience the baseball aspect of it or its significance. Just piss faced drunk rambling on facebook about how you are so emotional. f*** off, you wont even remember the game.

I agree.

You have those that have suffered.

Those that are fans but only tune in for the playoffs.

Those that just want to be part of the party.

The worst though......those that follow sports and simply back the winning team. They are the die hard Yankee fans born and raised in Chicago that now follow the Hawks and cubs.