2017-18 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 3, 2017 -> 11:49 AM)
Don’t disagree at all. This argument shouldn’t have just been these two.

USC should’ve gotten in over Alabama IMO.

Outback Bowl dissed Michigan State and invited Michigan instead. Spartans fans on twitter complaining is fun.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2017 -> 03:11 AM)
Osu doesn’t deserve to be in. Period.

Agreed. Overrated program overall and especially this year. Meyer will probably eventually dump them like he did to Florida. Putting the over under at 2 years for that.

Really liking Michigan and Nebraska to go on a run in the big 10. Will probably take a couple good recruiting seasons from frost. Harbaugh will get things in order by next year imo.

QUOTE (Whitesoxin2019 @ Dec 3, 2017 -> 04:26 PM)
Agreed. Overrated program overall and especially this year. Meyer will probably eventually dump them like he did to Florida. Putting the over under at 2 years for that.

Really liking Michigan and Nebraska to go on a run in the big 10. Will probably take a couple good recruiting seasons from frost. Harbaugh will get things in order by next year imo.

Lol. Sizzling hot take.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 3, 2017 -> 02:46 PM)
USC should’ve gotten in over Alabama IMO.

Outback Bowl dissed Michigan State and invited Michigan instead. Spartans fans on twitter complaining is fun.

USC certainly has an argument. What they’ve said is don’t lose more than one game. So start scheduling Mercer

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2017 -> 06:16 PM)
USC certainly has an argument. What they’ve said is don’t lose more than one game. So start scheduling Mercer

Bama played FSU and Fresno St. If FSU wouldn't have had Francois injured for season in that game Bama's non-conference probably is stronger than OSU or USC. What the committee is really saying is don't lose by 30+ against a mediocre at best team and it's really clear the committee didn't have any respect for Pac 12 this year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2017 -> 05:16 PM)

Pretty much. People stereotyping this Bama team like pastvyears and it’s not.

USC May or may not belong but in a year like this, would’ve been interesting having a west coast team.

Need to expand to 8.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 3, 2017 -> 05:28 PM)
Bama played FSU and Fresno St. If FSU wouldn't have had Francois injured for season in that game Bama's non-conference probably is stronger than OSU or USC. What the committee is really saying is don't lose by 30+ against a mediocre at best team and it's really clear the committee didn't have any respect for Pac 12 this year.

Strength of schedule says otherwise. But yes. Don’t have an awful loss and if you do it better be your only one (Clemson)

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 3, 2017 -> 05:36 PM)
Pretty much. People stereotyping this Bama team like pastvyears and it’s not.

USC May or may not belong but in a year like this, would’ve been interesting having a west coast team.

Need to expand to 8.

I just wish 2015 osu would have gotten a nod like this. That team was better than 2016 and this years.

Expansion would be nice. I wonder if they would then kill conference title games.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2017 -> 06:15 PM)
Lol. Sizzling hot take.

Haha sarcasm detected. I know .. way to go out on a limb that the programs with the most wins (Michigan) and 5th most (Nebraska) are going to have major success. I see Ohio st, penn st, Wisconsin in the next tier. But really a fan of what mich and neb have done during the poll era. Tennessee is due as well.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 3, 2017 -> 05:28 PM)

All in on this, Bama tried. I honestly feel bad for Bama, prolly couldn't find teams that wanted to schedule them. Happy the committee understood that and got the little guy in.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2017 -> 06:07 PM)
I just wish 2015 osu would have gotten a nod like this. That team was better than 2016 and this years.

Expansion would be nice. I wonder if they would then kill conference title games.

I’d go 8 teams, 5 conference title game winners and 3 wild cards. See how that goes.

SEC, B10, B12, P12, ACC.

Notre Dame would be only real independent threat.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 3, 2017 -> 09:41 PM)
I’d go 8 teams, 5 conference title game winners and 3 wild cards. See how that goes.

SEC, B10, B12, P12, ACC.

Notre Dame would be only real independent threat.

Only problem with that is how would conference title game losers be rated? That's always the problem with conference title games. The team that won to get into the title game (Auburn) is punished for beating the team it knocked out of the title game (Alabama), which got a bye. Auburn was still in the top 8 after losing to Georgia, but that scenario happens quite a bit.

The answer here is very simple.

Michigan State and Ohio State got rolled the last two years in the CF Playoff, whereas there's considerable excitement about yet another match-up of Clemson and Alabama.

Whether it was getting blown out at Iowa City, or letting Oklahoma shred them in Columbus, the argument wasn't really there for OSU unless they just completely spanked Wisconsin on Saturday.

Granted, Bama had the weaker non-conference due to the FSU collapse this year, and they only had a couple of victories over ranked SEC teams because the SEC was also down (overall) this year due to programs like Florida, Tennessee, Texas A&M and Arkansas being in free-fall.

At any rate, I hate Alabama and Saban, dislike Meyer almost as much...but Ohio State didn't belong in that game.

You can argue perhaps more passionately for Auburn, UCF, USC, etc. Was it even a certainty their QB was/is going to be 100% healthy before the bowl game/s?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 3, 2017 -> 11:54 PM)
Only problem with that is how would conference title game losers be rated? That's always the problem with conference title games. The team that won to get into the title game (Auburn) is punished for beating the team it knocked out of the title game (Alabama), which got a bye. Auburn was still in the top 8 after losing to Georgia, but that scenario happens quite a bit.

Auburn is the one that had the worst luck out of everyone. They can't get in the top 4 with 3 losses, but their two regular season losses were against #1 and #17. Then they beat #3, then beat #4 and were rewarded with a re-match against #3 only 7 days later. Without the conference championship games, they seemed to be a clear top 4 team, but couldn't win again.

I think the top 4 system is great. Nobody got shunned this year, OSU, Bama, and USC all had major flaws in their resume, Bama just got the luck of the draw. the 4 team system keeps the regular season exciting, but still makes sure all deserving teams get in. There some potential kick ass matchups on New Years Day. Plus, my college will never be considered for the playoff so I never have to worry about getting the short end of the stick.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 07:44 AM)
Auburn is the one that had the worst luck out of everyone. They can't get in the top 4 with 3 losses, but their two regular season losses were against #1 and #17. Then they beat #3, then beat #4 and were rewarded with a re-match against #3 only 7 days later. Without the conference championship games, they seemed to be a clear top 4 team, but couldn't win again.

I think the top 4 system is great. Nobody got shunned this year, OSU, Bama, and USC all had major flaws in their resume, Bama just got the luck of the draw. the 4 team system keeps the regular season exciting, but still makes sure all deserving teams get in. There some potential kick ass matchups on New Years Day. Plus, my college will never be considered for the playoff so I never have to worry about getting the short end of the stick.

I think what the last 3 years proved is it needs to expand. If your criteria changes year to year its not a good system IMO. Expansion would be pretty cool, though you'd probably have to eliminate one of those OOC cupcakes to manage the schedule.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 09:56 AM)
I think what the last 3 years proved is it needs to expand. If your criteria changes year to year its not a good system IMO. Expansion would be pretty cool, though you'd probably have to eliminate one of those OOC cupcakes to manage the schedule.

I think what it proves to me is that you should win your college football games and if you do that then you're in the playoffs and it's doing a decent job producing good games and a believable champion.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 09:58 AM)
I think what it proves to me is that you should win your college football games and if you do that then you're in the playoffs and it's doing a decent job producing good games and a believable champion.

If thats the case then you wont see any tough OOC games during the season anymore. And teams will just go for the easiest 12 games as possible.

For example, USC plays mercer instead of Notre Dame and they are in the playoff over Bama.

Edited by RockRaines

The problem is teams cannot foresee how good or bad a team will be.

On paper Alabama was penalized for playing FSU. In reality they should have received credit for playing them. They were a preseason top 5.

When Auburn and Clemson agreed on this year's game, I am sure neither understood the implications the game would have. When it was played this season, neither probably did.

I like the effort on the part of OSU and Bama to put those quality OOC games on the schedule as well as USC. I think the PAC 10 is the weakest power conference and those teams need the OOC wins moreso then the others.

Edited by Harry Chappas

Yeah, Mercer was bad. But they scheduled FSU for game one.

Their schedule isn't that different than OSU's, OSU scheduled Oklahoma, Alabama scheduled FlaSt. It's just alabama knocked out FSUs QB.

The others are just a quirk of conference scheduling.

I'm not really going to shed tears over USC/OSU/Alabama.

They all got a fair hearing.

You know if one of those schools was Oklahoma St. or Washington or some level school they aren't getting this level of handwringing.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 10:18 AM)
Yeah, Mercer was bad. But they scheduled FSU for game one.

Their schedule isn't that different than OSU's, OSU scheduled Oklahoma, Alabama scheduled FlaSt. It's just alabama knocked out FSUs QB.

The others are just a quirk of conference scheduling.

I'm not really going to shed tears over USC/OSU/Alabama.

They all got a fair hearing.

You know if one of those schools was Oklahoma St. or Washington or some level school they aren't getting this level of handwringing.

TCU and Baylor got exactly this amount of handwringing in 2014 though...

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 10:12 AM)
Alabama got in because they're Alabama. Period. If they were South Carolina they wouldn't get mich consideration. Their resume is hardly different than Wisconsins.

Of course, thats why a team that beat them to get the SEC title game just a week before dropped below them while Bama sat at home. Now if they somehow get blown out in the playoff I'm sure the already inconsistent criteria will be changed again next year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 10:26 AM)
TCU and Baylor got exactly this amount of handwringing in 2014 though...

I'm confused by your premise, neither of those teams were put in the championship, and I'm saying if the decision for #4 will be between a OSU/Bama/USC vs. an Oklahoma State/Baylor/TCU level team...we all know who gets that slot.