Adam Dunn was just terrible on the Sox

Jerksticks

QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ May 3, 2017 -> 03:53 PM)
Useless/stupid trivia question to keep this timely thread alive...Adam Dunn had a bit part in the in the movie Dallas Buyers Club. Anyone remember who was the last Sox player to appear in a major Hollywood movie prior to that? (Or at least the last one I can remember?)

Didn't the whole team technically appear in My Best Friend's Wedding?

QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ May 3, 2017 -> 01:53 PM)
Useless/stupid trivia question to keep this timely thread alive...Adam Dunn had a bit part in the in the movie Dallas Buyers Club. Anyone remember who was the last Sox player to appear in a major Hollywood movie prior to that? (Or at least the last one I can remember?)

Ken Berry was in Eight Men Out.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ May 3, 2017 -> 04:01 PM)
Frank Thomas, 1992.... "Mr Baseball"

He played the "big time prospect" that the Yankees wanted to call up, so they released Tom Selleck's character, so he went to Japan to play. Not a bad movie if you can ignore the often cringeworthy "love story" undercurrent.

That's the one I was thinking of.

Going back to the early 80s...Charlie Lau in Max Dugan...as a young Sox fan then that was pretty cool.

Edited by Dizzy Sox

QUOTE (WBWSF @ May 3, 2017 -> 06:42 AM)
Looking back at Dunns time with the White Sox has never been explained. Was he hurt? Did he lose his desire to play after signing a big long term contract? Didn't he like playing for the White Sox? Dunn was the first big free agent signing since Albert Belle. He didn't produce here. Nobody has ever figured it out.

Dunn was frequently out drinking with Peavy and Ryan Dempster's ex wife at Houndstooth and other local bars til the wee hours of the morning. I don't think he ever "cared" after he made a little money.

QUOTE (JoeCredeYes @ May 5, 2017 -> 02:36 PM)
Dunn was frequently out drinking with Peavy and Ryan Dempster's ex wife at Houndstooth and other local bars til the wee hours of the morning. I don't think he ever "cared" after he made a little money.

Dude still swatted a ton of dingers. I don't want to say going out "til the wee hours of the morning" didn't affect his job, but what did people expect out of Dunn? He was the classic three true outcome player and guess what he did when he was with the White Sox? He drew some walks, he struck out a lot, and he swatted some dingers.

I'll tell you who sucked - Jose Paniagua. Jose Paniagua sucked.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 5, 2017 -> 03:11 PM)
You're just jealous you can't make that much of an impression in 1 day. Don't be jealous.

Ask my ex-girlfriend about what I did the first night I hung out with her. Trust me, I can make an impression.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 3, 2017 -> 04:47 PM)
Adam Dunn was Ozzie's fault. If Ozzie swallows his pride, tells Williams to re-sign Thome, Thome ends up on the Sox and has a huge year and the Sox win the division. They then have no need nor desire to Dunn.

God, the rotating DH.

Thome's homer off Thornton (still may not have landed) really was the breaking point.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 5, 2017 -> 03:52 PM)
God, the rotating DH.

Thome's homer off Thornton (still may not have landed) really was the breaking point.

Dammit I miss that 2006 lineup

Thome - 42

PK - 35

Dye - 44

Crede - 30

QUOTE (Blackout Friday @ May 5, 2017 -> 07:16 PM)
Dunn was s***. Three true outcomes is more forgivable when you're hitting .250 or providing some defensive value. His outcomes were the same, but the ratios weren't. Walks were down, power was down, strikeouts were up. Sunk cost.

But seems like ancient history, thank god.

His 82 walks/season over his 4 years here made up for his batting average