2017-2018 NFL Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 27, 2017 -> 10:40 AM)
That injury looked serious for Meredith.

Really sucks cause he is a solid wideout (probably not a #1 but a good #2 who was developed by Bears). Hopefully, somehow the initial reports are incorrect. If they are correct and it is the ACL, I hope he gets better and is ready to rock next year. In the meantime, maybe White can emerge into something and I have liked what I've seen from Gentry thus far.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 27, 2017 -> 12:37 PM)
Trubisky to Gentry was nice

Trubisky had a pass dropped by White (tough catch but should have been made) where he threw the ball high. Other then that, he continued to pretty much throw the ball on the money (and that deep ball to Gentry was just gorgeous). Tru almost got picked on a pass though. Glennon played solid too. Tru just looks so calm in the pocket (and I love how he seems to keep his eyes downfield and go through progressions, etc.). Glad Glennon didn't suck and actually stepped up a bit (from the increased competition). I know everyone raved about Shaheen in camp but I've yet to see anything special during game day.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 27, 2017 -> 03:05 PM)
Trubisky had a pass dropped by White (tough catch but should have been made) where he threw the ball high. Other then that, he continued to pretty much throw the ball on the money (and that deep ball to Gentry was just gorgeous). Tru almost got picked on a pass though. Glennon played solid too. Tru just looks so calm in the pocket (and I love how he seems to keep his eyes downfield and go through progressions, etc.). Glad Glennon didn't suck and actually stepped up a bit (from the increased competition). I know everyone raved about Shaheen in camp but I've yet to see anything special during game day.

Cruz had a bad drop also in the 4th on a nice play by Trubs to get out of the pocket and nice throw on the run. Shaheen will be fine once he acclimates a little more to this level...but the kid belongs. He's a beast. Glennon made it easy today for the Bears to open the season with....and I'm sure they're breathing a sigh of relief since they really didn't want to throw Trubs into that role immediately. His day will come...and the future is very bright with him. I'm just hoping today's Glennon is the one that shows up on Sundays (which not holding my breath). Another thing...Loggains has really done a nice job with this offense IMO. Wasn't too high on him last hear and thought he might be a little in over his head...but he's settling in nicely and doing a really nice job IMO.

Edited by Wanne

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 27, 2017 -> 03:31 PM)
I've said he should make the team over Bellamy this entire time. He wouldn't make it thru waivers to the PSafter he's cut...and somebody like the Pats would pick him up (especially with Edelman going down). At some point...you have to keep the young WRs like Gentry. Dude's a player.

That said...the Giraffe looked good today. Trubisky looked good too...and Bears future is in very good hands with him. He does things you don't see vets do.

Really sucks hard for Meredith...just breaks my heart. It was an ugly injury too....

I pretty much agree with all of this. Trubisky just looks like a natural out there. Glennon will have a very short leash with a talent like Trubisky waiting for a chance.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 27, 2017 -> 04:15 PM)
Cruz had a bad drop also in the 4th on a nice play by Trubs to get out of the pocket and nice throw on the run. Shaheen will be fine once he acclimates a little more to this level...but the kid belongs. He's a beast. Glennon made it easy today for the Bears to open the season with....and I'm sure they're breathing a sigh of relief since they really didn't want to throw Trubs into that role immediately. His day will come...and the future is very bright with him. I'm just hoping today's Glennon is the one that shows up on Sundays (which not holding my breath). Another thing...Loggains has really done a nice job with this offense IMO. Wasn't too high on him last hear and thought he might be a little in over his head...but he's settling in nicely and doing a really nice job IMO.

Loggains has done an excellent job stepping in after Gase left. They have found good players that fit in his system and will only get better. On another note it's pretty great to see the defense looks really strong today against a pretty decent TEN offense.i think as long as Glennon is able to manage the game with Howard behind that OLine the Bears will be competing in every game.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 27, 2017 -> 02:15 PM)

I'm not saying Shaheen is a bust or not good, just stating that all the hype from practice hasn't yet transferred to the games. And you were right, that was an awful drop by Cruz on a really nice play by Trubisky. He certainly looks like he's pretty advanced at this point and you can see why he was the #2 pick...hopefully he can continue to grow and develop and works his tail off, etc, and truly can become a franchise QB. And I completely agree with you, I think they are glad Glennon wasn't so bad this game (that said, while Glennon was sharp that first drive, he still just looks uncomfortable with pressure, but he, like Trubisky is learning a new offense). Either way, Glennon got better each week (which is good).

I like Loggains, I like how we mix up the run pass, put playaction, leverage TE's, etc. That said, with the lack of downfield passing threats, our oline and running backs are really going to have to work (and even the TE's are goign to be impacted by guys recognizing that we aren't a downfield passing team (at least not with the current weapons we have). Hopefully guys emerge and that changes with time.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Aug 27, 2017 -> 04:27 PM)
Loggains has done an excellent job stepping in after Gase left. They have found good players that fit in his system and will only get better. On another note it's pretty great to see the defense looks really strong today against a pretty decent TEN offense.i think as long as Glennon is able to manage the game with Howard behind that OLine the Bears will be competing in every game.

This D is VERY underrated IMO. Bear's front 7 is actually pretty impressive. Demps has been a very nice signing also. Other teams really shouldn't overlook this team this year...especially if they stay healthy.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 27, 2017 -> 02:43 PM)
This D is VERY underrated IMO. Bear's front 7 is actually pretty impressive. Demps has been a very nice signing also. Other teams really shouldn't overlook this team this year...especially if they stay healthy.

Jackson actually goes for the ball. The D is above average, albeit, we still lack playmakers in the secondary (and in my opinion, we need another strong pass rusher to take the D to the next level). Really like how they have built the D. I still think the O, despite the strong oline and ground game, will be lackluster (and not due to coaching, just lack of playmaking talent). I hope I'm wrong though...would love to be pleasantly surprised. So far, outside of the Meredith injury, everything about preseason has been pretty enjoyable (mainly because of Mitchell Trubisky)!

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 27, 2017 -> 04:05 PM)

I yelled when he dropped that deep pass in the bucket. Thats such a hard thing to do. It was an incredible throw.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 07:26 AM)
I yelled when he dropped that deep pass in the bucket. Thats such a hard thing to do. It was an incredible throw.

This is probably from years of watching crap QB's, but Trubisky's pocket awareness just seems so amazing for a rookie. And the accuracy...oh my. Glad Glennon played well though. We really are a QB away from being a playoff team (albeit, we need help in the secondary and at receiver). I believe in this defense. Of course...a QB away can be like being a lightyear away, but maybe Mitch will be that guy.

I still say a best case scenario is Glennon plays solid and after another team loses its guy, the Bears deal Glennon to turn things over to Mitch (to get his feet wet this year). That or at the end of the season we are able to dangle Glennon (because Mitchell has proven himself fully ready!!!).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 09:53 AM)
This is probably from years of watching crap QB's, but Trubisky's pocket awareness just seems so amazing for a rookie. And the accuracy...oh my. Glad Glennon played well though. We really are a QB away from being a playoff team (albeit, we need help in the secondary and at receiver). I believe in this defense. Of course...a QB away can be like being a lightyear away, but maybe Mitch will be that guy.

Exactly! Trubs does things and makes throws you don't see guys that have been in the league for 5-6 years make. He's gonna be one of the better QBs in the league at some point IMO. The one thing I hope the Bears don't ignore...and it's not a huge issue right now since the O-line is playing fairly well and will help having Long back...but when the Bears got Cutler...that dope Angelo thought "my work is done here"...and they COMPLETELY ignored putting a solid line in front of him...and quite honestly that was probably the biggest problem besides the revolving door of OCs. Leno has done a surprisingly solid job at LT...and the interior seems very solid (sans Grasu)...but Massie is really hit or miss IMO. I'd like them bring in another stud T in the next year or so...

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 08:23 AM)
Exactly! Trubs does things and makes throws you don't see guys that have been in the league for 5-6 years make. He's gonna be one of the better QBs in the league at some point IMO. The one thing I hope the Bears don't ignore...and it's not a huge issue right now since the O-line is playing fairly well and will help having Long back...but when the Bears got Cutler...that dope Angelo thought "my work is done here"...and they COMPLETELY ignored putting a solid line in front of him...and quite honestly that was probably the biggest problem besides the revolving door of OCs. Leno has done a surprisingly solid job at LT...and the interior seems very solid (sans Grasu)...but Massie is really hit or miss IMO. I'd like them bring in another stud T in the next year or so...

The Bears tried to upgrade the RT position in the off-season, but got outbid. They seem committed to the oline but I completely agree with you. We need to always have a good oline to protect our investment. We seem to have routinely invested in it under Pace. Hopefully Long can get healthy, but it has been good to see Grasu make strides. When we drafted him originally, I thought we had gotten our next Kreutz (he was raw and needed to put on strength but last season's injury was tough). I presume we will be taking a WR / DB / Pass Rusher with our 1st pick in next years draft. Personally, I hope we are able to do what the Pats do and move down and start stockpiling some picks.

In Angelo's defense, he drafted some high picks on the oline, they just happened to have injury issues and end up being busts with the Bears (Columbo and Carimi).

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 09:07 AM)
Trubisky impressed again. His stats were good and he got screwed by his receivers a few times. He moves so gracefully in the pocket. Seems to pick up the blitz well.

He did throw high to White (on a ball I think a good receiver catches more often then not) and did throw a near pick (plus he had the fall down). His time with the first string was poor, but you are right, his presence in the pocket is just fantastic. That said, I hate him taking some of those hits running...want him to slide (like his use of the run, but don't take unnecessary hits). He really settled down after that near pick (which was a really poor throw and the second near pick he's thrown in as many weeks). If Glennon made that throw we'd have ripped him so only fair to say the same for Trubisky. So damn accurate though, always seems to get the ball in the right spot.

I actually thought Glennon's performance had plenty of warts, despite the solid numbers. His overall accuracy and ball placement regularly leaves a lot to be desired. There were also a couple times where he made some bad reads and left yards on the field (of course that happens with every QB, but Glennon seems to struggle a bit and reading through all of his progressions). The throw to Cam (when Cam got hurt) was a thing of beauty though. Something we haven't seen out of Trubisky as much (in terms of just the pure timing).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 11:43 AM)
He did throw high to White (on a ball I think a good receiver catches more often then not) and did throw a near pick (plus he had the fall down). His time with the first string was poor, but you are right, his presence in the pocket is just fantastic. That said, I hate him taking some of those hits running...want him to slide (like his use of the run, but don't take unnecessary hits). He really settled down after that near pick (which was a really poor throw and the second near pick he's thrown in as many weeks). If Glennon made that throw we'd have ripped him so only fair to say the same for Trubisky. So damn accurate though, always seems to get the ball in the right spot.

I actually thought Glennon's performance had plenty of warts, despite the solid numbers. His overall accuracy and ball placement regularly leaves a lot to be desired. There were also a couple times where he made some bad reads and left yards on the field (of course that happens with every QB, but Glennon seems to struggle a bit and reading through all of his progressions). The throw to Cam (when Cam got hurt) was a thing of beauty though. Something we haven't seen out of Trubisky as much (in terms of just the pure timing).

Actually, it wasnt a poor throw, it would have hit the WR(Thompson?) in stride. The CB made a really nice play on the ball and undercut the route

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 11:50 AM)
Actually, it wasnt a poor throw, it would have hit the WR(Thompson?) in stride. The CB made a really nice play on the ball and undercut the route

yeah...bad read....but not a bad throw at all. I think that was probably only the 2nd time all preseason I've seen him throw into coverage like that. That drop by Cruz tho was inexcusable. But like most have said...his awareness in the pocket is that of a seasoned vet. Like Mullins said...the kid just has the "it" factor. I stole this from another board I'm on...but it's a pretty telling statement:

Peter Schrager: I got a text from someone who is within the organization saying "Love all 3 QB's, but this guy Trubisky is an Alpha and I won't take it away from him. He is a leader in the locker room already, and he has taken people under his wing."

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 11:43 AM)

I'll give Glennon props for yesterday...by far the best he's looked (and I give Loggains a ton of credit for this as well)...hopefully he keeps it up. When the real bullets fly it'll be another story. He's just not very mobile back there...so when the season starts and teams like the Falcons bring the pressure...and take away the short dinks...the Bears will be in a tough spot. He's just not very mobile...nor does he truly look comfortable back there. How well the line protects and and they keep blitz cover in the backfield will go a long way. It might not be performance that gets him sacked either...he better learn to move out of the pocket before he gets killed.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 09:50 AM)

I should have made it was a poor read (not a poor throw).

I am looking forward pretty positively to this year.

The last 3 years, we had big stinkers in the 3rd preseason game. Last year it's hard ot understate how bad the team looked in preseason. ANd yet the second half emerged a pretty decent offense that was rewarded with a banged up descending defense.

Now, both look pretty good. And maybe it won't matter just like the previous years didn't matter, but I think Loggains may actually be putting together a decent offense given the talent.

I think we'll see a lot more of the TE sets in the reg season, and a good running team. The defense I'm very high on.

We'll see, what does any of that mean without a QB?