9/11 Sox at Royals

flavum

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 07:48 PM)
Basically the favorable position the cat has put itself into before pouncing on the bird.

To me, it's the same as waiting in the weeds.

From Webster's Dictionary:

In the catbird seat was among the numerous folksy expressions that legendary baseball broadcaster Red Barber used to delight listeners. Some say he invented the expression; others say that he dug it up from his Southern origins. But the truth may be far stranger than those rumors. In a 1942 short story titled "The Catbird Seat," James Thurber featured a character, Mrs. Barrows, who liked to use the phrase. Another character, Joey Hart, explained that Mrs. Barrows must have picked up the expression from Red Barber. To Red, according to Joey, sitting in the catbird seat meant 'sitting pretty,' like a batter with three balls and no strikes on him. But, according to Barber's daughter, it was only after Barber read Thurber's story that he started using "in the catbird seat" himself.

My goodness what a bomb by Engel. KC's bullpen is truly horrific, but WOW that ball was smashed. Three-run homer.

Notice Avi just poke that single up the middle? It's not a fluke folks. Mr. Garcia has learned how to hit. Whoever taught him how to hit should be coaching our young hitters when they come up or before.

Nice to beat the hell out of the Royals, who have absolutely no pitching.

p.s.: Abreu is amazing.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Sep 12, 2017 -> 02:35 AM)
I got to talk with Benetti in person the other day. He basically said the same thing - this year is way more enjoyable than last year where we were actually trying to win.

I won't argue your point except to say Jason must not be counting having to watch Holland, Pelfrey and Shields pitch and some of those relievers. Watching those 3 starters pitch -- and they've pitched a lot -- has been a horrible experience for the eyes.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 09:39 PM)
I won't argue your point except to say Jason must not be counting having to watch Holland, Pelfrey and Shields pitch and some of those relievers. Watching those 3 starters pitch -- and they've pitched a lot -- has been a horrible experience for the eyes.

He singled out the young guys, and he's excited about Eloy and Kopech in the future especially.