40-man roster decisions and the Rule 5 Draft

NorthSideSox72

These full rebuilds are becoming the in thing to do lately, especially with the Cubs and Astros winning the last 2 World Series. More and more teams are going that route. I absolutely think there will be a team that plucks him away if the Sox leave him unprotected. Maybe even the Tigers.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this was a relevant comment on Adolfo. Comes from a Fangraphs article on under-the-radar prospects.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/general-man...elow-the-radar/

Rick Hahn, Chicago White Sox: “Micker Adolfo doesn’t get enough attention. We signed him out of the Dominican in 2013 when he was 16, and at the time, he was the No.2 international prospect. The No. 1 was Eloy Jimenez and the No. 3 was Rafael Devers. Adolfo was in that conversation, so he was viewed as having that type of talent.

“Unfortunately, every year of his pro career leading up to 2017 he had some sort of injury — a hamate, a pulled hamstring… issues that were keeping him off the field. This year, he finally got his first full year under his belt — he was in the Low-A Sally League — and at age 20, which is still just a baby, he began fulfilling some of that promise from a power standpoint and being a well-rounded defender in the outfield. He gets forgotten about a little because he’s been hurt, and because of all the guys we brought in, but Adolfo has both the pedigree and the upside.”

QUOTE (Soha @ Nov 18, 2017 -> 08:40 AM)
These full rebuilds are becoming the in thing to do lately, especially with the Cubs and Astros winning the last 2 World Series. More and more teams are going that route. I absolutely think there will be a team that plucks him away if the Sox leave him unprotected. Maybe even the Tigers.

We’re already seeing it. Teams are embracing the tank. Can’t just look at the way things have been done in the past, but have to be forward thinking. I fully expect what the Padres did last season to become more and more common. Maybe not quite to that extent (i.e. three players), but moreso around taking high ceiling, but super undeveloped positional prospects.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 18, 2017 -> 03:43 PM)
We’re already seeing it. Teams are embracing the tank. Can’t just look at the way things have been done in the past, but have to be forward thinking. I fully expect what the Padres did last season to become more and more common. Maybe not quite to that extent (i.e. three players), but moreso around taking high ceiling, but super undeveloped positional prospects.

You ever think teams may be embracing the tank because a.) you get the payroll down to pennies and the owners love that! followed by b.) since some teams have had success with it, you are putting dozens of millions in the owners wallet while doing something that's popular with the fans. I mean you can lose up to 5 years during the tank and everybody's happy. It's the perfect nonsequitir for an owner who likes cold hard ca$h.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 19, 2017 -> 01:55 PM)
White Sox have a ton of roster moves to make in the next 24 hours. Scott Merkin suggested that the club could add as many as 6 guys to the 40 man roster. In order to do so and leave a spot available for the Rule 5, they would need to remove 3 players from the 40-man.

I think they cut Petricka, Putnam, & Alburquerque and add Jimenez, Peter, Gillespie, Guerrero, Clark, & Adolfo.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 19, 2017 -> 03:32 PM)
You ever think teams may be embracing the tank because a.) you get the payroll down to pennies and the owners love that! followed by b.) since some teams have had success with it, you are putting dozens of millions in the owners wallet while doing something that's popular with the fans. I mean you can lose up to 5 years during the tank and everybody's happy. It's the perfect nonsequitir for an owner who likes cold hard ca$h.

No, teams do it because it’s an effective way to build a winner. Not everything is a conspiracy.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 19, 2017 -> 01:50 PM)
No, teams do it because it’s an effective way to build a winner. Not everything is a conspiracy.

Not a conspiracy but more of a win win situation. Fans accept it and teams still make money . Not all teams will pull it off successfully . That's when it gets ugly . The ones bowing down to Hahn's genius will be calling for his head.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 19, 2017 -> 05:42 PM)
Not a conspiracy but more of a win win situation. Fans accept it and teams still make money . Not all teams will pull it off successfully . That's when it gets ugly . The ones bowing down to Hahn's genius will be calling for his head.

How many MLB owners do you really think are in it for the money? Loria perhaps, not sure I could name another. Most of these guys want to win above all else (as long as they don’t lose money). This idea that rebuilding is somehow super profitable is odd to me. Along with a decrease in payroll comes a huge decrease in attendance and ultimately revenue. If the rebuild goes south, the financial impacts can be significant in the long-run. I can promise you the last thing Jerry wants to do is endure a rebuild, but given where our organization was at we really didn’t have a choice.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 19, 2017 -> 07:49 PM)
How many MLB owners do you really think are in it for the money? Loria perhaps, not sure I could name another. Most of these guys want to win above all else (as long as they don’t lose money). This idea that rebuilding is somehow super profitable is odd to me. Along with a decrease in payroll comes a huge decrease in attendance and ultimately revenue. If the rebuild goes south, the financial impacts can be significant in the long-run. I can promise you the last thing Jerry wants to do is endure a rebuild, but given where our organization was at we really didn’t have a choice.

All of them.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 19, 2017 -> 07:49 PM)

They're a business like any other kind. Of course winning can important in various ways, but owners want to maximize their return just like Apple shareholders/management do.