Rule 5 draft preview

southsider2k5

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:55 AM)
Yeah definitely concerned about losing to prop up our rule 5 position give me a break.

The cash considerations thing pisses me off.

Hahn said "we will be active in the rule five draft tomorrow" yesterday...on a team with a crappy bullpen we should have taken an arm. WTF

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:55 AM)
Yeah definitely concerned about losing to prop up our rule 5 position give me a break.

I did not say I wanted to lose for better Rule 5 position. We also could have traded basically nothing to the Phillies for him anyway.

Drink some coffee, stay warm and calm down.

Edited by rowand's rowdies

I like our minor league pick, but I just can't believe we didn't take a flyer on one of the 100 mph arm guys for the bullpen. Like, I know at some point Al Albuquerque will be back and we'll be watching him pitch instead of some guy with an actual arm and not-fake name.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:09 AM)
We can't use it because there are basically no players left to sign for $300k. And even if one pops up, would you rather have two lottery tickets or Nick Burdi?

Nick Burdi for sure but I was just correcting your statement. And it is likely someone pops up as there always is someone who pops up we've never heard about.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:08 AM)
I like our minor league pick, but I just can't believe we didn't take a flyer on one of the 100 mph arm guys for the bullpen. Like, I know at some point Al Albuquerque will be back and we'll be watching him pitch instead of some guy with an actual arm and not-fake name.

Yeah, I don't get that at all. If worse comes to worse, you offer them back. It's not a large investment and there is tons of space on the team.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:51 AM)
Meghan Montemurro‏Verified account

@M_Montemurro

3m3 minutes ago

More

The Phillies traded RHP Nick Burdi, their Rule 5 draft pick, to the Pittsburgh Pirates for international slot money.

I’m shocked we didn’t do this, we certaintly have slot money left.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:03 AM)
The Pirates got Burdi for $500k of international bonus money while we have ~$1mil that we can't use.

The White Sox actually only have $500K in international space left. Also, Hahn said that they were interested in 2 guys in the Rule 5. One of them went before the Sox and they found out Wednesday night that the other guy they wanted needed a significant surgery. Then they decided to trade the pick.

Edited by Y2JImmy0