2018 NFL off-season thread

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 07:22 AM)
It’s fine if you don’t think size will limit Cohen & Gabriel’s utility, but let’s not compare 5-10 & 5-11 guys to 5-6 & 5-7 guys.

Taylor Gabriel is 5-8 btw.

I agree that the Meredith situation is very weird. Now your third WR is either Josh Bellamy or Kevin White, neither of whom can be trusted. That seems no different than last year. Now they have to draft a guy early that can be depended on to perform in 2018.

Two different teams had enough faith in Meredith's medicals to give him an offer. If the Bears didn't trust his knee, why give him the tag in the first place?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 08:14 AM)
I agree that the Meredith situation is very weird. Now your third WR is either Josh Bellamy or Kevin White, neither of whom can be trusted. That seems no different than last year. Now they have to draft a guy early that can be depended on to perform in 2018.

Two different teams had enough faith in Meredith's medicals to give him an offer. If the Bears didn't trust his knee, why give him the tag in the first place?

I think you're really underestimating the amount of targets that will be coming Burton's way and how often he'll be lining up at WR.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 09:47 AM)
I think you're really underestimating the amount of targets that will be coming Burton's way and how often he'll be lining up at WR.

I don't think that solely justifies ignoring wide receiver depth again. With the tag, it just seems like another case where Ryan Pace thought he was the smartest guy in the room, but clearly wasn't. I do like the other offseason.moves, but this was a weird one.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 10:14 PM)
I don't think that solely justifies ignoring wide receiver depth again. With the tag, it just seems like another case where Ryan Pace thought he was the smartest guy in the room, but clearly wasn't. I do like the other offseason.moves, but this was a weird one.

Who has great WR depth? Just as the Bears will be screwed without Robinson and Gabriel...

Minnesota would be screwed without Diggs and Thielen

Atlanta would be in trouble without Jones and Sanu

Rodgers would pull his hair out without Adams and Cobb

Wentz would struggle without Agholor and Jeffery

The idea isn't to have WR depth anymore. It's to have versatile pass catchers, and the Bears have 5 of them. That's plenty.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 08:57 AM)
Who has great WR depth? Just as the Bears will be screwed without Robinson and Gabriel...

The idea isn't to have WR depth anymore. It's to have versatile pass catchers, and the Bears have 5 of them. That's plenty.

Yeah so the teams you mentioned all have the benefit of having actual established players and established production from their passing offense, which with the exception of Robinson (coming off an ACL), the Bears don't have, which is why passing up on depth in a year you are trying to establish a productive offense is dumb especially for 3 million.

Trey burton is a 3rd string TE they really think will be good but has not done anything. Gabriel was waived 2 years ago and was a 3rd WR. Allen Robinson is good but coming off an injury. Shaheen caught less than 10 passes. Penciling all of that in and saying "wow versatility" is speculation at this point. And those other team mentions have much less other team needs than the Bears, who now may need to use draft capital toward a WR.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 08:57 AM)

Taylor Gabriel has never topped 37 receptions or 629 yards in a season. Pretty scary to think we’re screwed without that guy, but you’re right since Kevin White & Josh Bellamy are next on the depth chart. But hey, we got a bunch of unproven TEs and a 5-6 RB to save the day. And I’m optimistic about Burton, but you seem to have a lot more faith than me that he’s the second coming of Travis Kelce. I hope you’re right, but it still doesn’t seem like a risk worth taking when we’re flush with cap space and could have retained Meredith for $3M.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 09:34 AM)
Yeah so the teams you mentioned all have the benefit of having actual established players and established production from their passing offense, which with the exception of Robinson (coming off an ACL), the Bears don't have, which is why passing up on depth in a year you are trying to establish a productive offense is dumb especially for 3 million.

Trey burton is a 3rd string TE they really think will be good but has not done anything. Gabriel was waived 2 years ago and was a 3rd WR. Allen Robinson is good but coming off an injury. Shaheen caught less than 10 passes. Penciling all of that in and saying "wow versatility" is speculation at this point. And those other team mentions have much less other team needs than the Bears, who now may need to use draft capital toward a WR.

And you're assuming Meredith, who admitted himself "I'm not sure" as to when he'll be ready on Wedneday night on Waddle and Silvy & who will also at the very least miss the entire offseason of installing a new offense, would have provided that filler for the speculation.

Edited by soxfan49

TIFWIW, Bernstein opened the show saying that his Bears source said that the decision was completely medical. He said Meredith didn’t get his procedure done by Bears team doctors, and when they evaluated the knee, they were not comfortable giving Pace the OK.

And concerning the depth of WRs, there will be additions. This isn’t the final depth chart, players will be added. Fretting about it now is worthless.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 09:46 AM)
Taylor Gabriel has never topped 37 receptions or 629 yards in a season. Pretty scary to think we’re screwed without that guy, but you’re right since Kevin White & Josh Bellamy are next on the depth chart. But hey, we got a bunch of unproven TEs and a 5-6 RB to save the day. And I’m optimistic about Burton, but you seem to have a lot more faith than me that he’s the second coming of Travis Kelce. I hope you’re right, but it still doesn’t seem like a risk worth taking when we’re flush with cap space and could have retained Meredith for $3M.

He was playing with Browns QB's and then got behind Sanu & Jones on the Falcons' depth chart. Nagy's offense revolves heavily around speed, and Gabriel is in the top 10 fastest guys in football. Do I think he'll be AWESOME? No, but yes, the Bears would be screwed without their #2 receiver, I'll bet.

No one is saying Burton will be the second coming of Kelce, but I do think he's going to get as many targets as Kelce did last year. What he does with them is another story. They'll likely use a 2nd or 4th round pick on a receiver or pick up Inman, giving Trubisky plenty of weapons.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 10:22 AM)
And you're assuming Meredith, who admitted himself "I'm not sure" as to when he'll be ready on Wedneday night on Waddle and Silvy & who will also at the very least miss the entire offseason of installing a new offense, would have provided that filler for the speculation.

Yes, I'm saying that specifically letting Meredith get away over $1 million is an unnecessarily stupid move.

It's not the end of the season, it's not a crippling move, but it is unnecessarily stupid in the same way forgetting to fill out the proper form for Warrick Holdman was unnecessarily stupid.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 10:27 AM)
He was playing with Browns QB's and then got behind Sanu & Jones on the Falcons' depth chart. Nagy's offense revolves heavily around speed, and Gabriel is in the top 10 fastest guys in football. Do I think he'll be AWESOME? No, but yes, the Bears would be screwed without their #2 receiver, I'll bet.

No one is saying Burton will be the second coming of Kelce, but I do think he's going to get as many targets as Kelce did last year. What he does with them is another story. They'll likely use a 2nd or 4th round pick on a receiver or pick up Inman, giving Trubisky plenty of weapons.

I like those pick-ups, I'm just saying that you are allowed to rely on top heavy positions when you have proved they are in fact top heavy.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 10:25 AM)
TIFWIW, Bernstein opened the show saying that his Bears source said that the decision was completely medical. He said Meredith didn?€t get his procedure done by Bears team doctors, and when they evaluated the knee, they were not comfortable giving Pace the OK.

And concerning the depth of WRs, there will be additions. This isn?€t the final depth chart, players will be added. Fretting about it now is worthless.

But why offer $2M???

If you're not comfortable with the knee, fine whatever let him go. But you think the knee's worth $2M but not $3M, which would get you either Meredith or a potential 2nd round pick? There's no obvious logic or strategy behind it.

e: I think Meredith was the leading receiver during Fox's time with the Bears thanks to Alshon's injuries. Letting Alshon go for nothing and then letting Meredith go for nothing at a position you're already lacking in just isn't very confidence-building.

It's not like Pace is above handing out expensive contracts to garbage/past-their-prime players, e.g. Victor Cruz or Glennon. Why not tender the extra million?

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 10:32 AM)
But why offer $2M???

If you're not comfortable with the knee, fine whatever let him go. But you think the knee's worth $2M but not $3M, which would get you either Meredith or a potential 2nd round pick? There's no obvious logic or strategy behind it.

e: I think Meredith was the leading receiver during Fox's time with the Bears thanks to Alshon's injuries. Letting Alshon go for nothing and then letting Meredith go for nothing at a position you're already lacking in just isn't very confidence-building.

It's not like Pace is above handing out expensive contracts to garbage/past-their-prime players, e.g. Victor Cruz or Glennon. Why not tender the extra million?

Again, according to Bernstein Pace thought other team doctors would feel the same about the medicals and they could bring him back on a much cheaper deal. It was also mentioned that he may miss this upcoming season

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 08:25 AM)
TIFWIW, Bernstein opened the show saying that his Bears source said that the decision was completely medical. He said Meredith didn?€t get his procedure done by Bears team doctors, and when they evaluated the knee, they were not comfortable giving Pace the OK.

And concerning the depth of WRs, there will be additions. This isn?€t the final depth chart, players will be added. Fretting about it now is worthless.

I actually feel a bit better about this, if that is the reason. That said, if you were so worried about medicals and not worried about his capabilities, is $1M really enough to walk away from this (i.e., tendering him at 2.9 vs. the 1.9)? I presume this is more that even if he played well, than at that point, the Bears wouldn't be able to pay him anyway (cause you can't pay him and Robinson) so they figured they had to move on.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 12:34 PM)
Money has a way of changing players' minds, but he's already said he wants to play against Dallas twice next year. Good luck in Philly, Dez!

A famous player well past his prime?? He's going to Washington, not Philly

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 14, 2018 -> 08:37 AM)
All the pieces are in place.

OK Wanne. I know this was meant to be sarcasm, but I honestly think they need to trade down in the draft. Too many holes to fill. Unless Chubb unexpectedly drops to 8, there isn't anyone worth the 8th pick. The best chance for them to do that is if only 3 QBs go in the top 7.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 14, 2018 -> 09:26 AM)
OK Wanne. I know this was meant to be sarcasm, but I honestly think they need to trade down in the draft. Too many holes to fill. Unless Chubb unexpectedly drops to 8, there isn't anyone worth the 8th pick. The best chance for them to do that is if only 3 QBs go in the top 7.

I think it depends on what is available. I would think if Nelson is still on the board, with all they are doing to make this the Mitch Trubisky show, they have to take him. Chubb is interesting . Personally I really like Fitzpatrick, and Barkley would be tough to say no to if a run on QBs make him available.

But trading down does make sense. The new regime will get some sort of reprieve this year, but I don?€t think 5-11 is going to cut it. The pressure is on to make Trubisky look good. Any disappointment from the QB position in 2018 is going to be a big problem for the Bears.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 14, 2018 -> 09:26 AM)

I have always been an advocate of trading down pretty much regardless of draft selection, but if Nelson is there at 8, I think he is worth the pick. I have never seen a player with such unanimous praise.