5/21 Games

joejoedairy

6 hours ago, bmags said:

Not sure why I’m putting this here except it’s often the same crowd:

but as I watch Juan Soto belt a HR in his first mlb at bat, I have to say that while it has its misses (usually with mid tier catcher obsessions), soxtalk is pretty damn good at identifying big prospects early. 

Soxtalkers were all over Acuna and Soto early, and like a year later they are in bigs.

I had Soto in every mock trade with the Nats, but I admit it was a combo of his age, reports I read, and mostly his gaudy numbers he was posting. Had never seen him swing a bat when I and many others were wishing on him.

2 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

I’m wondering what it takes for him to pass Yrizarri.  Can’t promote yrizarri to Bham right?

Laz is demolishing low A.  

Dickman is in a mini slump but has been playing well in AA. Rondon has been playing fairly well in AAA. I guess the best option would be to have YY and Laz switch spots.

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

And all those potential targets with the Pirates haven't turned out to be as good as once projected.

Josh Bell and Kevin Newman were two that I really wanted. Bell has been alright, and after an okay 2017, Newman has been better so far in 2018. 

From the Yankees, I really wanted Kaprielian, who got traded to the A's and has been hurt for since forever. And Estevan Florial who had a great 2017, and a mediocre 2018. It would be fun to go through the old names over the past 2 years we wanted in Sale/Q trades.

4 hours ago, credezcrew24 said:

Dickman is in a mini slump but has been playing well in AA. Rondon has been playing fairly well in AAA. I guess the best option would be to have YY and Laz switch spots.

I would be ok with this, but not sure if there anyone from extended (Curbelo?) they want to give the everyday SS role in Kannapolis to once Rivera is bumped up.  And if we end up selecting Madrigal in the draft that job probably goes to him pretty quickly.

12 hours ago, Bruce_Blixton said:

I'm starting to think that the Sox development staff have Clarkin working on something mechanically, there's no way that he is this bad given his track record in the minors to this point. Add in the fact that Montgomery has 5 SBs on him tonight and it just seems like he's focused on the pitching aspects exclusively.

Clarkin was rule 5 eligible; never pitched above A ball with the Yankees.  He wasn't terrible in A ball, but he wasn't great and he was there a long time.  He was a longshot prospect by the time the Sox got him.  That whole trade was Rutherford - the throw-ins were really weak (the Quintana throw-ins were far more interesting).
He's been a slow mover - maybe a late bloomer at some point.  Just his first year in AA.

Edited by GreenSox

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

Clarkin was rule 5 eligible; never pitched above A ball with the Yankees.  He wasn't terrible in A ball, but he wasn't great and he was there a long time.  He was a longshot prospect by the time the Sox got him.  That whole trade was Rutherford - the throw-ins were really weak (the Quintana throw-ins were far more interesting).
He's been a slow mover - maybe a late bloomer at some point.  Just his first year in AA.

The players given up were also way different which has a pretty direct impact on return.