Welington Castillo to be suspended 80 games for PED, per Rosenthal

Heads22

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Kevan Smith just hit the Milb DL, so it is either .165 hitting Alfredo Gonzalez or newly activated Brett Austin

Wow, I did not know that.  Do we even have an open 40 man spot?  I forgot that Smith was outrighted to AAA and that we only have two catchers on the 40 man roster.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m amused that people are blaming Hahn for this.  We don’t even know kind of PED he was using.  It could be something like Adderal for all we know.  The fact that he’s still playing right now makes me believe it’s on the lower end of the bad spectrum.

They specifically said NOT a steroid.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Wow, I did not know that.  Do we even have an open 40 man spot?  I forgot that Smith was outrighted to AAA and that we only have two catchers on the 40 man roster.

No 40 man spot, so roster bingo begins soon.

Maybe Minaya outrighted?

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

That’s what I mean.  Aren’t there certain supplements that count as PEDs?  I just think people should hold off blaming the front office for somehow not knowing and wait for all the facts to come out.  Sucks he’ll be out half the season but that falls on him primarily.

Might have to give some thought to Zack Collins, though it would be a risky move.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

FWIW, it may be similar to Cano or several others who test positive for drugs associated with steroid use (e.g., Manny Ramirez testing positive for a post-cycle therapy drug)

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I'm pretty sure Smith is still on the 40 man. 

Edit: yep, still on the 40 man

http://m.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/roster/40-man/

Edited by GenericUserName

25 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

Seriously

Players who get caught using performance enhanincing drugs should be banned for life. 

Give the guys an off-season to get clean and implement that policy. 

If those rules were in.place, Eloy Jimenez would still be a Cub.

Just now, Jake said:

Might have to give some thought to Zack Collins, though it would be a risky move.

FWIW, it may be similar to Cano or several others who test positive for drugs associated with steroid use (e.g., Manny Ramirez testing positive for a post-cycle therapy drug)

Zavala would have made more sense than Collins IMO, but obviously that’s not happening given he’s hurt.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s what I mean.  Aren’t there certain supplements that count as PEDs?  I just think people should hold off blaming the front office for somehow not knowing and wait for all the facts to come out.  Sucks he’ll be out half the season but that falls on him primarily.

A masking agent also would apply here, or maybe a drug?

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Zavala would have made more sense than Collins IMO, but obviously that’s not happening given he’s hurt.

TBH while it briefly looked the other way I think Collins's bat is ahead of Zavala's. Sounds like neither of them are very good on defense, but it's always hard to get reliable information about that for minor leaguers.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

A masking agent also would apply here, or maybe a drug?

Yeah it could be a masking agent though I'm not sure if a drug of abuse (weed, cocaine, etc.) is punished under the same scheme.

1 minute ago, Jake said:

TBH while it briefly looked the other way I think Collins's bat is ahead of Zavala's. Sounds like neither of them are very good on defense, but it's always hard to get reliable information about that for minor leaguers.

Yeah it could be a masking agent though I'm not sure if a drug of abuse (weed, cocaine, etc.) is punished under the same scheme.

Zavala is the lesser prospect and a bit older, so you could probably gamble a few weeks with him in the major league mix and not worry too much about any long-term consequences.  I wouldn’t do anything that could possibly disrupt Collins’ development as he is potentially too important to the rebuild.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Zavala is the lesser prospect and a bit older, so you could probably gamble a few weeks with him in the major league mix and not worry too much about any long-term consequences.  I wouldn’t do anything that could possibly disrupt Collins’ development as he is potentially too important to the rebuild.

Zavala is on the DL. So is Kevan Smith. There's no real replacement option in the org at the moment.