Did anybody get a chance to watch Covey's previous start? By the numbers, he had a very solid game. The link below shows all his strikeouts. 

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/video/covey-earns-1st-career-win/c-2076600583

I didn't get to watch the game. However, it appears he was throwing a 2-seamer with a heck of a lot of movement at 95 mph. To be fair, I never watched him pitch much in his previous stints with the sox. Was his fastball always this good? Is it the secondary pitches he struggles with? I wonder if he has figured it out and can become a back of the rotation guy. People were scratching their heads the sox sent him to the AFL and protected him in the rule 5. I guess they really did see something in him. 

33 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

Did anybody get a chance to watch Covey's previous start? By the numbers, he had a very solid game. The link below shows all his strikeouts. 

I didn't get to watch the game. However, it appears he was throwing a 2-seamer with a heck of a lot of movement at 95 mph. To be fair, I never watched him pitch much in his previous stints with the sox. Was his fastball always this good? Is it the secondary pitches he struggles with? I wonder if he has figured it out and can become a back of the rotation guy. People were scratching their heads the sox sent him to the AFL and protected him in the rule 5. I guess they really did see something in him. 

Damnit, Ron. This isn't how it works. You're suppossed to talk about how awful and terrible he is so he performs like a star. You know, like you did/do with Abreu.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, Hot FiRe said:

Covey was a rule 5 pick last year who had only 6 games of AA experience. It's pretty easy to understand why he got hit around. Imagine Kopech or Dunning and Hansen brought up that fast. If he wasn't a Rule 5 pick he would still be in the minors last year and probably ranked somewhere between 15-20 in the Sox top prospects with an upward arrow with how well he pitched in AAA this year while gaining a few ticks on his fastball.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

If Covey can become something that would make up for Giolito's season.

This is the purpose of a rebuild, finding assets that wouldn't have gotten an opportunity with a team trying to compete. If he can become a 2-3 WAR starter, that's a huge win. Even better if he can become more.

• Like 3

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2017/04/05/white-sox-dylan-covey-finally-awaits-his-major-league-debut/100092062/

He might be the best redemption story on the White Sox if he actually makes it as a big league starter...never really dug much into his background.

https://www.athleticsnation.com/2016/12/8/13893100/mlb-rule-5-draft-oakland-as-dylan-covey-white-sox

As someone who closely follows the A’s minor leagues, you’d think I’d be bummed about losing a prospect. However, I’m not even batting an eye at this one right now — if anything, I’m relieved that they didn’t lose RHPs Tucker Healy or Sam Bragg, who are both better prospects and closer to the bigs. 

It’s not that Covey isn’t a worthwhile prospect, but rather a matter of practicality and timing. I simply can’t imagine a scenario in which he lasts on an MLB roster for all of 2017, especially in a homer-happy park like Guaranteed Rate Field (lol seriously that’s its name now ... the irony would be delicious if they offered dynamic ticket pricing that constantly changes and is thus rarely if ever a “guaranteed rate”).

If the now-rebuilding White Sox find a way to get value out of Covey this year, or even commit to stashing him at the back of their pen just to add a fringe prospect to the system, then a tip of the cap to them. Nothing is impossible. But even then, I currently have him as the A’s No. 36 prospect on my personal list, below 16 other starters, so the damage is minimal. If you look at it in terms of depth chart rather than total prospect value, he’s probably around 18th in line to start games in Oakland this year (but really lower, because they would pick up a Surkamp or a Detwiler like last year if things actually got that far again in 2017).

I think the most likely scenario is that Covey gets hammered by MLB hitting in his first trial and he’s back in Oakland’s system by June. The next-most likely is that he doesn’t even break camp with Chicago and ends up back here after spring training. None of that precludes him being better in the future! Just not yet. I was more bummed about losing the actually MLB-ready 2B/OF Colin Walsh last winter, but he didn’t even make it to the end of June with the rebuilding Brewers before being sent back.

So, to be clear, I don’t think Covey is a worthless prospect. I just think that he’s so far from being MLB-ready right now that there is nearly a zero percent chance that he sticks in 2017, which means nothing will come of this. The biggest result could be that the A’s will have a bit more breathing room for the first couple months in their already-packed Double-A rotation, while Covey gets some free MLB experience from another club. Thanks, White Sox! (Note: I’m not kidding. The rotation overflow in Nashville/Midland is an actual concern right now, and someone good will lose playing time because of it if space isn’t cleared by trades.)

Edited by caulfield12

23 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2017/04/05/white-sox-dylan-covey-finally-awaits-his-major-league-debut/100092062/

He might be the best redemption story on the White Sox if he actually makes it as a big league starter...never really dug much into his background.

https://www.athleticsnation.com/2016/12/8/13893100/mlb-rule-5-draft-oakland-as-dylan-covey-white-sox

As someone who closely follows the A’s minor leagues, you’d think I’d be bummed about losing a prospect. However, I’m not even batting an eye at this one right now — if anything, I’m relieved that they didn’t lose RHPs Tucker Healy or Sam Bragg, who are both better prospects and closer to the bigs. 

It’s not that Covey isn’t a worthwhile prospect, but rather a matter of practicality and timing. I simply can’t imagine a scenario in which he lasts on an MLB roster for all of 2017, especially in a homer-happy park like Guaranteed Rate Field (lol seriously that’s its name now ... the irony would be delicious if they offered dynamic ticket pricing that constantly changes and is thus rarely if ever a “guaranteed rate”).

If the now-rebuilding White Sox find a way to get value out of Covey this year, or even commit to stashing him at the back of their pen just to add a fringe prospect to the system, then a tip of the cap to them. Nothing is impossible. But even then, I currently have him as the A’s No. 36 prospect on my personal list, below 16 other starters, so the damage is minimal. If you look at it in terms of depth chart rather than total prospect value, he’s probably around 18th in line to start games in Oakland this year (but really lower, because they would pick up a Surkamp or a Detwiler like last year if things actually got that far again in 2017).

I think the most likely scenario is that Covey gets hammered by MLB hitting in his first trial and he’s back in Oakland’s system by June. The next-most likely is that he doesn’t even break camp with Chicago and ends up back here after spring training. None of that precludes him being better in the future! Just not yet. I was more bummed about losing the actually MLB-ready 2B/OF Colin Walsh last winter, but he didn’t even make it to the end of June with the rebuilding Brewers before being sent back.

So, to be clear, I don’t think Covey is a worthless prospect. I just think that he’s so far from being MLB-ready right now that there is nearly a zero percent chance that he sticks in 2017, which means nothing will come of this. The biggest result could be that the A’s will have a bit more breathing room for the first couple months in their already-packed Double-A rotation, while Covey gets some free MLB experience from another club. Thanks, White Sox! (Note: I’m not kidding. The rotation overflow in Nashville/Midland is an actual concern right now, and someone good will lose playing time because of it if space isn’t cleared by trades.)

On 5/24/2018 at 5:39 PM, Dam8610 said:

Damnit, Ron. This isn't how it works. You're suppossed to talk about how awful and terrible he is so he performs like a star. You know, like you did/do with Abreu.

I hope you feel like a dirtbag for rooting against Covey now. Poor guy has been through enough. 

13 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

I hope you feel like a dirtbag for rooting against Covey now. Poor guy has been through enough. 

I'm not rooting against Covey, Ron, just informing you how your reverse jinx works so you can use it for good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You know I’m not too excited yet because it was only one start, but the Sox scored a coup by picking up Quintana as an afterthought would be great if this guy could be as well.  The guy has talent remember he was a 1st rounder out of HS, but was diagnosed with diabetes and had to learn to live with his condition just as he was starting his career. He passed on signing and went to college. His High A stats in 14, and AA stats in 15 are not bad actually.

Covey is starting today and I am predicting a very solid start. 6 ip, 2 er. Covey will become a staple in this rotation and will be a 4th starter for years to come with the Sox. Book it. You heard it here first. 

15 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

Covey is starting today and I am predicting a very solid start. 6 ip, 2 er. Covey will become a staple in this rotation and will be a 4th starter for years to come with the Sox. Book it. You heard it here first. 

How many accounts do you have, Gregg?

Covey’s story gets more interesting.

Was the #14 pick in the first round for Milwaukee back in 2010.

The day of his 18th birthday, when he was celebrating at Six Flags with his friends...and the last day the draft picks were able to sign (and become a multi-millionaire), he was called in from his party by the Brewers to get another physical.

The blood work surprisingly diagnosed him with Type 1 diabetes...which he hadn’t even realized he was dealing with his senior year of high school.

The Brewers’ offer (not unlike the Brady Aiken situation) was cut from $2.4 million to $1.5 million...at the last minute, he and his parents rejected the money and he went to Univ of San Diego with Kris Bryant.  

The last three years before the Sox picked him in the Rule 5, he was dealing with oblique strains on BOTH sides...and he was hit by multiple injuries in 2014 as well (hand laceration being one of them).    2016, he pitched in the AFL and even started the championship game but was nevertheless left unprotected.   Labored in the majors....bounced around all over the place in the A’s system.

When he was drafted again in 2013, he fell into the 4th round and signed for only $370,000 with the A’s, so he lost almost $2 million due to the diabetes diagnosis, but learning how to deal with the illness in college might have actually helped him to become a better pitcher (eventually) in the big leagues, rather than struggling as a “bonus baby” high school pitcher with huge expectations as a high first round draft pick.

Has gone on the DL seven times in his career.

Edited by caulfield12

On 5/28/2018 at 2:36 PM, Hot FiRe said:

Covey looks good in another start. He may become even better than my prediction above. Sox found another diamond in the rough pitcher.