2018 White Sox draft picks and signings thread

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, DH in the NL said:

This is the problem I see with having the MLB draft during the season. The reason Madrigal can’t sign a deal yet is because he’s still playing in college correct? Because of that, Walker and Pilkington have to wait on their deals. If the draft was held after the college season players get signed, then get their assignments. No waiting

It would also dramatically shorten the short season leagues, or it would push them back into the middle of September.

1 hour ago, GenericUserName said:

But then they would get a ton less time in the short season leagues and most of them would have to go more than a month without playing because only a small number of schools play this late in the year. Its not like they have the signing deadline before the college season ends so guys can't sign. Its just some times guys still have to play and that holds other guys up too. 

There isn't any good in it, but its avoiding a potentially really bad scenario. If he signs overslot, like most probably expect, but then Madrigal realizes he wants to go back to OSU for his senior year and decides not to sign, suddenly we lose that extra pool money from his underslot deal and then we are into the penalty area and lose future draft picks. That scenario is unlikely, but when there is very little added benefit (especially because Walker was injured and may not be able to play anyway), any amount of added risk just doesn't seem worth it. 

It really is just to avoid the situation where the Astros were a couple of years ago with the Aiken situation. 

Imagine a situation where Nick Madrigal is set to sign a slightly under cap (say $1m) deal upon the completion of the CWS, and that money is going to Pilkington and Walker in some form.  Walker and Pilkington combine to sign deals that put the Sox $1.1m over the caps, taking money from both Madrigal and some other savings.

Tonight Nick Madrigal suffers a grotesque Jared Mitchell or Robin Ventura type of injury that has a really high chance of altering his career trajectory.  The Sox decide he is no longer worth the risk at his former number, and instead offer him the minimum they can offer him and still get a comp pick the next year.  Madrigal refuses to sign the deal, and instead decides to go back to school.

At this point the Sox either have to void either the Pilkington and/or Walker deals, or give up a first round AND second round draft pick in 2019 (which current sits at #3 and about #46 overall) to pay them.

So while the odds are small of this type of scenario happening, they aren't zero.  Do you take THAT much risk, just to get Steele Walker into camp early, especially since he has been hurt anyway, or do you just wait out the CWS and see what happens?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Wait, what? If they waited til after the season the players would sign at the same time as they will now if not later. Or and all the other players we have signed who are currently playing would be waiting as well so you miss on a week or two of playing time for them.

The players that are playing now wouldn’t have been drafted yet. I don’t have any issue with draft eligible college players or high school players not playing until college is over.

What I’m saying is because Madrigal is still playing it’s holding up Walker and Pilkington deals. They can’t play anywhere at the moment because of Madrigal. These are our top 3 picks not playing with a White Sox affiliate. 

19 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

The players that are playing now wouldn’t have been drafted yet. I don’t have any issue with draft eligible college players or high school players not playing until college is over.

What I’m saying is because Madrigal is still playing it’s holding up Walker and Pilkington deals. They can’t play anywhere at the moment because of Madrigal. These are our top 3 picks not playing with a White Sox affiliate. 

Yeah but with what you are saying they still wouldn't be playing right now and all our other draft picks would just be sitting and waiting for the draft instead of signed and playing pro ball

2 minutes ago, oldsox said:

So, Northsider, are we gonna sign all four or not?

I'd be shocked if they didn't sign any of picks 1-3. They have a surplus to work with, and I don't see any of the three being clearly over-slot needed. Probably will sign Round 14 too, but like 80% instead of 99.9% sure.

4 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

I'd be shocked if they didn't sign any of picks 1-3. They have a surplus to work with, and I don't see any of the three being clearly over-slot needed. Probably will sign Round 14 too, but like 80% instead of 99.9% sure.

And it's an utter rarity for a player not to sign if picked in the top 10 rounds. Jim Callis and others have hammered this home.  Teams do super due diligence on what these players are going to need to sign. They are in contact through the entire process. The risk of losing pool allocations are too great to chance picks in the top ten rounds.

Edited by DirtySox

Kiley said several times in his chat today that there are a couple high school pitchers drafted in the early rounds who still have not signed and are threatening to go to college, mostly for negotiating leverage, but a few might actually end up doing it. Just off the top of my head he mentioned Gunnar Hoglund, Carter Stewart, and Mason Denaburg and then there is also obviously Hankins. 

I wonder how much of this is a one time issue because there was so much high school pitching right at a time when teams were shying away from that demographic so many of them did not get offered as much as they thought they would. I could also see this being teams trying to take advantage of the new draft rules by calling some of these kids bluffs and if the kid does decide to go to school, not losing much because they can get the pick back the next year and they don't lose as much money for other picks because they had already planned to use that full slot. The new strategy could be to draft underslot college guys early (who are also safer picks) and then take whatever high school players falls to like the fourth round even if they may not sign. You can then draft a few more high school guys in the last ten rounds and if the early HS guy doesn't sign use the underslot savings to try to lure one of them. 

16 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Wow nice get for under the caps even.

If you add that to the $63,300 we were under before that pick, that puts us at  $140,000 under the slot caps.

So if you pick up and lose no money and get Madrigal, Walker and Martin signed all at slot value, here is what the Sox can do.

They automatically get no penalties for the first $125,000 of signing bonus.  They can add to that the $140,000 they have in savings so far, also without seeing a penalty for a total of $265,000.

Above that total, the Sox can go 5% over their total bonus pool of $10,589,900 and pay only an overage penalty, but lose no draft picks.  That number is $529,485.  The Sox could add that to the $265,000 and offer one guy like Bryce Bush, Alec Valenzuela, Adrian Del Castro, or Mason Montgomery (who were all late high school picks) up to $794,495 without losing a draft pick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Actually I am coming up with a completely different bonus pool number than FutureSox.  Not sure if I screwed something up, but if someone else wants to take a look, please do.  I have us with a surplus of $244,400, meaning we could offer any one player $369,400 without penalty (assuming we gain or lose no bonus pool space from the picks who are still unsigned) or $898,885 without losing a draft pick.

@NorthSideSox72, I am tagging you because I don't know who is doing the charting of this stuff on the FS side.

Untitled.png

16 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Actually I am coming up with a completely different bonus pool number than FutureSox.  Not sure if I screwed something up, but if someone else wants to take a look, please do.  I have us with a surplus of $244,400, meaning we could offer any one player $369,400 without penalty (assuming we gain or lose no bonus pool space from the picks who are still unsigned) or $898,885 without losing a draft pick.

@NorthSideSox72, I am tagging you because I don't know who is doing the charting of this stuff on the FS side.

Untitled.png

I just re-crunched the numbers using my own spreadsheet, and you are correct! I am not sure how my math got screwed up before (probably because I was doing it in my head like a doofus), but thank you for double-checking me. I've updated the number in our Draft Tracker to show that $244,400 as the correct current surplus.