2018-2019 Official NBA thread

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Jim Boylen is awful.

Bulls started the game down 17-0, he pulls all 5 starters 5 minutes into it. That's fine on the surface, but everything was dropping for the Celtics and the Bulls were getting good looks that just weren't falling.

Eh... I wouldn't go that far. Boston was literally on every penetration and shot. In fact, Lauri for example had every shot of his contested badly during that time. That team can D it up unlike many in the league.

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

Eh... I wouldn't go that far. Boston was literally on every penetration and shot. In fact, Lauri for example had every shot of his contested badly during that time. That team can D it up unlike many in the league.

Perhaps. I can at least see the merit for it.

But the second time? Not at all. It was 2 minutes. They looked fine, and the bench guys looked way worse. It seems like his priority is to embarrass the starters and keep them from developing. I'm not a fan of that.

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

But the second time? Not at all. It was 2 minutes. They looked fine, and the bench guys looked way worse. It seems like his priority is to embarrass the starters and keep them from developing. I'm not a fan of that.

Agreed there. But I don't think it would've made much of a difference anyway with the way Boston was playing. 

2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Agreed there. But I don't think it would've made much of a difference anyway with the way Boston was playing. 

Yeah, that game is a loss either way. My concern is going forward is he seems to think it's ok to bench an entire group of 5 players based on 2 minutes of play, and those 2 minutes weren't even noticeably bad

Edited by Jose Abreu

14 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Yeah, that game is a loss either way. My concern is going forward is he seems to think it's ok to bench an entire group of 5 players based on 2 minutes of play, and those 2 minutes weren't even noticeably bad

Can not disagree with you at all. I was also scratching my head with that decision in the 3rd. That's how you lose a locker room... and quick.

Edited by SoxAce

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Jim Boylen is awful.

Bulls started the game down 17-0, he pulls all 5 starters 5 minutes into it. That's fine on the surface, but everything was dropping for the Celtics and the Bulls were getting good looks that just weren't falling.

Then in the second half, the Bulls are losing the quarter by a score of 5-3, everything seems normal, and Boylen pulls everybody again, this time after about 2 minutes. Great way to lose a locker room before you've even won it over. They never saw the floor again, the starters played 7 minutes + whatever they got in the 2nd quarter. The bench was much worse.

I don’t even know what game you were watching if you thought the starters got good looks. That was one of the worst offensive stretches of basketball I’ve ever seen. God awful ball movement, god awful shots. It looked like a high school team vs an NBA team. Literally I’ve never seen a team look so shut down on offense than the start of that game. Awful performance.

Boylen might have taken things too far, but he obviously thinks this is a soft team that needs to toughen up and he’s making a calculated bet that the message he sends will motivate and not cause the players to quickly tune him out. 

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

Can not disagree with you at all. I was also scratching my head with that decision in the 3rd. That's how you lose a locker room... and quick.

Yes the second time he did it was not a good look. The first time was completely deserved. That said the starters were pathetic. 

Crazy cause the whole team played really well against the Thunder. Like really well. 

Yeah...this might be a hot take but after seeing some clips of his post game press conference...he might have just lost the lockeroom and his job. 

Basically Said the benching saved those guys from further embarrassment. And then went on from there. 

8 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Gar Forman is a fucking joke and he's the main guy whose gotta go (but Michael Reinsdorf obviously won't do it)

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/sources-bulls-gm-gar-forman-was-the-main-force-behind-fred-hoibergs-firing/amp/

Hey man, it's clearly always the other guys fault that Gar keeps getting into fights with them