A fair and balanced soliloquy about Jose Abreu, by ron

ron883

1 hour ago, Hot FiRe said:

You don't know that. An extra 16-20m on the first year is big-time money. 

I do know this because we have practically zero future payroll commitments and $18M is simply not enough cash to change the equation.

Also, non-tendering Abreu is going to send a negative message to Machado & Harper about our chances to compete in the near-term and make us even less attractive.  The idea just doesn’t make any sense TBH.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I do know this because we have practically zero future payroll commitments and $18M is simply not enough cash to change the equation.

Also, non-tendering Abreu is going to send a negative message to Machado & Harper about our chances to compete in the near-term and make us even less attractive.  The idea just doesn’t make any sense TBH.

Going from ~30m to ~50m for the first year of a contract with opt outs IS a big deal honestly. That's a lot of money.

4 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

Going from ~30m to ~50m for the first year of a contract with opt outs IS a big deal honestly. That's a lot of money.

But his point is that they can offer the 50mm anyway. 

The White Sox have about $14mm committed to next year’s roster. If you add all of the arbitration estimates, it goes up to $54mm according to Cot’s. 

Edited by Eminor3rd

Non tendering Abreu makes a 100 loss team even less appealing.

Personally,  I still think he can hit well. His slump was long and horrendous but before and after he was hitting with authority.  A couple of flukes ended his season.  Non tender makes no sense unless they have someone other than Davidson/Palka in mind as a replacement. To do something just to save money will not go over well if the team is mediocre or worse in 2019.

Edited by Dick Allen

I recently found the Slam forum on this message board and I might have to say I enjoy it more than talks about the Sox for this reason... hah

a) Abreu at $18mm is not a financial burden nor will it take away from the Sox signing anybody they want

b) why go after Goldshmidt in any way? Yes he's good, but he's no spring chicken either. Why would you trade prospects for 1 year of a guy that would replace a guy who is still a productive player?

c) Jose Abreu is continually unclutch?? One quick search into baseball reference and I show that he's hit .318 with RISP and has a .949 OPS with RISP. soo....... ???

d) Since coming to the MLB this was his first season with under 100 RBI's (mind you mostly on terrible teams w/ no protection). Had he not been injured he would have been very close to career numbers in RBI's, HR, etc. Yes his OPS and SLG were down this year, but I don't really think Jose Abreu is the problem. Pay him his $18mm this year. And then I would entertain him on a 2-3 year deal at like $10-12mm a year as your DH/1B after that.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hot FiRe said:

Jose is projected to make 16-20m in arbitrary, from what I have seen. This is a lot of money that could be added to a frontloaded contract for Machado or Harper.

Jose can produce at a slightly above average rate for a 1st baseman. The question is, is it worth it tendering him? Is the drop-off in production that Davidson and palka offer worth the money that can be spent on a superstar? Furthermore, Jose has been proven to be unreliable when it matters. The guy is about as unclutch as can be. He is getting a year older, and I doubt his defense gets any better (it probably gets even worse)

With his drop-off in stats last year, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets even worse. Do the Sox tender him or let him go and spend on Machado/Harper?

After his first year of health quirks I would expect Jose to bounce back and play full-time in 2019. After that all bets are off. Jose and Avi we expect to be dangled as trade bait along the way.

1 hour ago, BrianAnderson said:

I recently found the Slam forum on this message board and I might have to say I enjoy it more than talks about the Sox for this reason... hah

a) Abreu at $18mm is not a financial burden nor will it take away from the Sox signing anybody they want

b) why go after Goldshmidt in any way? Yes he's good, but he's no spring chicken either. Why would you trade prospects for 1 year of a guy that would replace a guy who is still a productive player?

c) Jose Abreu is continually unclutch?? One quick search into baseball reference and I show that he's hit .318 with RISP and has a .949 OPS with RISP. soo....... ???

d) Since coming to the MLB this was his first season with under 100 RBI's (mind you mostly on terrible teams w/ no protection). Had he not been injured he would have been very close to career numbers in RBI's, HR, etc. Yes his OPS and SLG were down this year, but I don't really think Jose Abreu is the problem. Pay him his $18mm this year. And then I would entertain him on a 2-3 year deal at like $10-12mm a year as your DH/1B after that.  

No one except ron thinks he’s the problem. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Is this Soxtalk’s first ban bet?  If so, I am super fucking pumped!  I’ve got no beef with you Ron, but you are as good as gone son.  There is like a zero percent chance Abreu is non-tendered.

It'll have to be on better terms and conditions. I'm not confident in my chances if it is strictly based on being non-tendered or not. 

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

There is zero conundrum with Jose. He'll be tendered on contract and he'll be on the 2019 roster.  

I am in agreement. A 1Bman who hits .300 with 30 HF & 100 RBIs isn’t a slightly above average player. He was injured last year and injuries happen