Realmuto to the Phillies - Sanchez/Alfaro+ to Marlins

bmags

I think at the beginning of the offseason, when Harper and Machado were expecting big offers from multiple teams, ancillary factors (like the competitiveness of the teams) figured to play a much bigger role in the decision.  Now that we have seen the weakness in their markets, I think their decisions will come down entirely to who offers the most money.  I have a hard time buying that the Phillies are acquiring Realmuto right now as some sort of enticement to Harper.

Just now, Perfect Vision said:

I think at the beginning of the offseason, when Harper and Machado were expecting big offers from multiple teams, ancillary factors (like the competitiveness of the teams) figured to play a much bigger role in the decision.  Now that we have seen the weakness in their markets, I think their decisions will come down entirely to who offers the most money.  I have a hard time buying that the Phillies are acquiring Realmuto right now as some sort of enticement to Harper.

Agreed.  But acquiring one of the best few catchers in the game certainly can't hurt their chances of luring Harper (or Machado). 

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

Even though I posted the Harper comment, I do agree with you (especially for the Sox).  I do think the Phillies can show Harper a plan where their 25 man roster is stacked though, especially if they use stupid money to get Harper and then Keuchel or Kimbrel.

I'm just curious why they would do this deal now when it appears they weren't willing to do it a month ago, if part of the plan was to show Harper/Machado a better 25 man roster.

To me this feels like the Phillies caving on the price, not the Marlins lowering their price.

Edited by Perfect Vision

2 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

I'm just curious why they would do this deal now when it appears they weren't willing to do it a month ago, if part of the plan was to show Harper/Machado a better 25 man roster.

Because they know they have an agreement close with one of those guys and they can now afford to give up Sixto, etc.?

6 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Harper is known to be a huge fan of Realmuto. I think the Philiies are locked in on Bryce. Sox need to get Machado done before Bryce declines their contract.

If the Phillies sign Harper, I am really not that worried about being squeezed by Manny. His market will be sox vs. pads...sox are even better positioned there than sox vs. phils.