Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

5 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

Exactly. Its what I'm saying... Its just funny man. Hearing the same b.s. from the team over and over

In fairness...the rumors are out of control right now.  They could have discussed--as an organization--to be careful with what they say to people outside the organization.  The prepared quotes and winded "say nothing" responses...those could be more common now because their transparency that started this all off went "wild fire" mode.  You're not hearing the same optimism that we heard earlier because you're not hearing ANYTHING of substance.  Also, Hahn coming out with his statements are likely a mission of his to tone down the expectations.  There was a time not long ago where the majority of his fan base was assuming we were getting Machado, Harper, Ottavino, Kimbrel, and Keuchel...plus anyone else available.  Wild Fire.  

I have been one of the most optimistic posters in regards to getting Manny but I really believe this morning's quotes were not good.  Especially saying the off season was a success and having to point to "others outside of the org" to make it believable. So unnecessary and insulting to the fan base. Say that you are trying your hardest to get your guy and if you don't you are still confident but don't claim you had a great off season. It screams of saving face way more than negotiating through media.

I suspect part of Lozano slow-walking is that he knows/believes that Hahn is under serious pressure to bring Manny in due to the way we've publicized our interest. He wants Hahn to get nervous about the blowback and bid against himself (or perhaps others) to avoid the embarrassment of not getting him.

• Like 1

Another reference to the White Sox on www.mlbtraderumors.com today. Most I have seen probably since 2005 and 2006 in national recognition. Sox FO you would think HAS to be taking notice of this and realize that WHATEVER they pay Machado(or Harper or both) will be returned many times over in recognition and money coming in on tickets, jerseys, concessions, etc. 

I have to admit I am in the pessimism column here on all this. I have been a fan since 1956 and believe me our beloved Sox have DISAPPOINTED me MANY times. Until I see him standing there in a Sox uniform being announced by Hahn, I will have to be pessimistic based on past history. Prove me wrong, JR.

1 minute ago, mqr said:

Again, what else is he supposed to say given that question? Publicly acknowledging that they need him as bad as they do would only make Hahn's job more difficult.

Look at his quotes at SoxFest. Leaps and bounds better than this. Acknowledge the fact that fans will be disappointed but ensure us that you will continue to strive to make moves. Not that hard. Don't pretend that Sox fans will be fine. They wont. 

4 minutes ago, Orlando said:

LOL LOL LOL

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am a little pessimistic how this is going because of past history of Sox disappointments. If Hahn knows we are NOT signing Machado and says something like the fans "will be fine" then he is in a dream world. BUT, as a couple other fans have pointed out, negotiations probably are still on going. If Hahn came out and said something like "Yes, the fans will lynch me and we could end up with zero attendance", then Lozano would be going "kaching" and another $25 million would be added to Machado's asking price. I hope we sign MM.

6 minutes ago, mqr said:

Again, what else is he supposed to say given that question? Publicly acknowledging that they need him as bad as they do would only make Hahn's job more difficult.

He might not have been ready for that one but the best answer he could have given was "Our fans will be happy if we put a championship team on the field, we do feel Machado can be a part of that but our fans will not be satisfied until we reach that goal". 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

None of these quotes change anything to me. What's he supposed to say?

"If we don't get Machado we will have wasted money/players on our current acquisitions and our fan base will revolt!".

That's just more fuel for MM's camp to ask for more money. He has to act like it will be all good if we don't sign him.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

That's the worst quote I have seen. He has to know that isn't true right? I guess what is he suppose to say? "yeah theyre gonna revolt if we don't get him..." that would give Lazano so much power in negotiations.

Do we really believe that despite what Rick says,  Lozano isnt smart enough to know that the fans will revolt? He has leverage already.

Edited by Orlando

2 minutes ago, xSouthsider2 said:

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am a little pessimistic how this is going because of past history of Sox disappointments. If Hahn knows we are NOT signing Machado and says something like the fans "will be fine" then he is in a dream world. BUT, as a couple other fans have pointed out, negotiations probably are still on going. If Hahn came out and said something like "Yes, the fans will lynch me and we could end up with zero attendance", then Lozano would be going "kaching" and another $25 million would be added to Machado's asking price. I hope we sign MM.

The Sox are at the table. We should all be thrilled. Actually signing means nothing.

That said, I don't know how people conclude anything from these quotes. Hahn is actually complementing the fan base for not acting like a psycho took out their entire family if Manny goes elsewhere. I doubt anything has changed regarding his status since Thursday or Friday when it was assumed he would be a Soxfest surprise. 

Besides, everyone said Levine was full of crap when he mentioned the Sox offer. If SD suddenly enters the fray, doesn't it mean an 8 year $250 million offer really isn't on the table and Levine was probably correct? If they were willing to go there, why wouldn't they have been in since the beginning?

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Kool aid? Ok. 

Let me know when you're ready to step off the wambulance. If you think the sox are suddenly out of this then you're more delusional than I thought.

Lol wambulance? What are you 10? So stating my opinion is a wambulance lol

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres