Jump to content
southsider2k5

NFL Thread 2019-2020

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

The Bears were right all along about his knee. 

they still screwed up that tender.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People are saying Trubisky looks awful at camp, and it isn't just against the 1st team defense. Listening to Rich Campbell reporting on the Score from yesterday. 

But then at the same time, someone just wrote this article: 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2848118-nfl-scouts-see-mitchell-trubisky-as-1-of-the-biggest-breakout-players-in-2019

so idk what to make of it. 

Given that Trubisky plays QB for the Bears, I'm always going to lean towards skepticism. My cousin's husband and I are pretty good friends, and he used to be a Lions fan and he said he'd never watch another game until they win the SB. Similarly, I won't believe the Bears ever have a great QB until that player is inducted into the HOF. 

It's really hard to understand what the standard of a good enough QB is when you've never watched one week in and week out. I keep fluctuating between Peyton Manning and someone like Donovan McNabb but idk if even McNabb is a HOFer. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been talking to people who have been at every open practice and none of them used the word "awful". He had one subpar day, a few average days, and a few good days. If anything he has looked good, according to them, and they're perplexed by the ultra-negative reports 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Jack getting out early on declaring the Bears a 3-13 team I see

Hell no. Obviously you don't know anything from camp. If Mitch takes a step forward this year, they have a good chance to win the whole damn thing. 

8 wins is the absolute floor for this team unless they get decimated by injuries to key players, which is always a possibility in the NFL. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

I've been talking to people who have been at every open practice and none of them used the word "awful". He had one subpar day, a few average days, and a few good days. If anything he has looked good, according to them, and they're perplexed by the ultra-negative reports 

Interesting. I was just going by what I was hearing on the radio and from beat writers. Who knows? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Interesting. I was just going by what I was hearing on the radio and from beat writers. Who knows? 

Yeah I don't blame you for that. I've talked to upwards of a dozen people who have been there every day possible, and they're convinced that the local media is either just horrible at evaluating practice play or just has some anti-Trubisky agenda, because they think he has looked average at worst. And FWIW, today he apparently looks really, really good 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Yeah I don't blame you for that. I've talked to upwards of a dozen people who have been there every day possible, and they're convinced that the local media is either just horrible at evaluating practice play or just has some anti-Trubisky agenda, because they think he has looked average at worst. And FWIW, today he apparently looks really, really good 

I don't understand why people are so quick to throw Mitch under the bus, but Mayfield is the next great QB. Both have shown a lot, I get Mitch has a year more experience in the NFL but in terms of actual playing time post HS Mitch is more inexperienced.

Because of his relative inexperience, Trubisky was always going to take 3-4 seasons to develop. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I've been talking to people who have been at every open practice and none of them used the word "awful". He had one subpar day, a few average days, and a few good days. If anything he has looked good, according to them, and they're perplexed by the ultra-negative reports 

Something to remind everyone but a lot of the people posting on twitter are not exactly NFL insiders.  They also probably have zero experience watching other teams camps, etc, so they literally make a deal of every pass that falls incomplete, etc.  I think the reality is, if Mitch was stinking it up, you'd hear about it...similarly if he was totally lighting it up, you'd hear about it. 

Mitch is the biggest question-mark on this team, in the sense that, to consistently win in the NFL, we need him to be better and more consistent than he was last year and with him being in this offense for a 2nd year, we should expect him to take a step forward (that said...just cause we expect it...doesn't mean it will happen). Jury is entirely wide open on Trubisky.  He's shown enough to give you hope, but I also would probably put the odds at 50/50 whether he ends up being a good to very good QB vs. being a mediocre to slightly below average QB.  And we also need him to play better to win the Superbowl.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't understand why people are so quick to throw Mitch under the bus, but Mayfield is the next great QB. Both have shown a lot, I get Mitch has a year more experience in the NFL but in terms of actual playing time post HS Mitch is more inexperienced.

Because of his relative inexperience, Trubisky was always going to take 3-4 seasons to develop. 

I actually really haven't seen any bad reports from the major media people. The only people I've seen ripping on Mitch have been random local blogger X who is tweeting about literally every throw he makes.  I get it and I enjoy those tweets, but you need to put those tweets in perspective. They are the equivalent of a Soxtalk game thread (in the sense that anyone who overreacts and/or reaches conclusions based upon individual plays is likely going to miss the forest from the trees).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

Something to remind everyone but a lot of the people posting on twitter are not exactly NFL insiders.  They also probably have zero experience watching other teams camps, etc, so they literally make a deal of every pass that falls incomplete, etc.  I think the reality is, if Mitch was stinking it up, you'd hear about it...similarly if he was totally lighting it up, you'd hear about it. 

Mitch is the biggest question-mark on this team, in the sense that, to consistently win in the NFL, we need him to be better and more consistent than he was last year and with him being in this offense for a 2nd year, we should expect him to take a step forward (that said...just cause we expect it...doesn't mean it will happen). Jury is entirely wide open on Trubisky.  He's shown enough to give you hope, but I also would probably put the odds at 50/50 whether he ends up being a good to very good QB vs. being a mediocre to slightly below average QB.  And we also need him to play better to win the Superbowl.  

It isn't like the info was coming from rando people on twitter. This was coming from people like Campbell and Biggs. I was hearing their clips on the Score, reading their tweets, etc. These were pretty credible sources, not twitter randos. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It isn't like the info was coming from rando people on twitter. This was coming from people like Campbell and Biggs. I was hearing their clips on the Score, reading their tweets, etc. These were pretty credible sources, not twitter randos. 

Be sure to take into consideration that he is practicing against one of the best defenses in the NFL. This will cause anyone to struggle but in the long run will tighten up his play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It isn't like the info was coming from rando people on twitter. This was coming from people like Campbell and Biggs. I was hearing their clips on the Score, reading their tweets, etc. These were pretty credible sources, not twitter randos. 

I listen to the score all day long and neither of those guys has labeled Mitch as awful.   Inconsistent, yes, but never awful.  

The awful takes are definitely coming from the bloggers that are charting every throw he makes.  And even those guys are arguing with each other about how to evaluate him.

 

and I totally agree with @ptatc, facing this Bears defense is no joke.   Roquan Smith is matching Cohen stride for stride out of the backfield 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I listen to the score all day long and neither of those guys has labeled Mitch as awful.   Inconsistent, yes, but never awful.  

The awful takes are definitely coming from the bloggers that are charting every throw he makes.  And even those guys are arguing with each other about how to evaluate him.

 

and I totally agree with @ptatc, facing this Bears defense is no joke.   Roquan Smith is matching Cohen stride for stride out of the backfield 

It was more the them trying to be nice about it by saying "inconsistent" and they specifically said that they had him play the 2nd team D on Friday and was still "inconsistent" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It isn't like the info was coming from rando people on twitter. This was coming from people like Campbell and Biggs. I was hearing their clips on the Score, reading their tweets, etc. These were pretty credible sources, not twitter randos. 

I have read most every article from the Bears. I haven't seen anything from Campbell or Biggs indicating Trubisky has been bad (or even not good).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I listen to the score all day long and neither of those guys has labeled Mitch as awful.   Inconsistent, yes, but never awful.  

The awful takes are definitely coming from the bloggers that are charting every throw he makes.  And even those guys are arguing with each other about how to evaluate him.

 

and I totally agree with @ptatc, facing this Bears defense is no joke.   Roquan Smith is matching Cohen stride for stride out of the backfield 

The counter to this is what good did that do for Orton/Grossman.  In fact, one could argue does going against the best defense actually help (or does it hurt because you are so disrupted you end up getting into bad habits).  Either way, I do have faith in Nagy as a HC and I believe Trubisky will put in the work to continue to get better.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another similar thing to think about, is the defense is always ahead of the offense in training camp because the defense is so familiar with the offense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's training camp. Beat writers and meathead raido guys in Chicago don't know what certain guys are working on, whose running the wrong route(s) etc. Seems like a silly thing to get worked up about.

Patrick Mahomes absolutely sucked in his training camp last season and that was with him sitting a year to learn the offense. https://www.google.com/amp/s/clutchpoints.com/chiefs-news-patrick-mahomes-is-having-a-rough-training-camp-throws-7-ints-in-6-practices/amp/ 

He came out of it just fine.

Edited by SoxAce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't take to much from camp or preseason performances.  Only think I hope for is players stay healthy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not concerned in the slightest with Mitch.   Training camp discussion filler.  Let's see what happens during the regular season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trubisky went from well below average playing in a dogshit offensive scheme with CFL players at WR to going 29 TD/12 INT + a 67% CP last year with capable players and good coaches. I don't see a scenario where he isn't even better in 2019.

Got to love the preseason, where every scrub is great and every good player sucks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×