Donn Roach starting ST game is current Chisox.com headline?

caulfield12

Compare that to everything we’re seeing in San Diego and around Harper.

The juxtaposition couldn’t be more jarring.

Imagine you bought tickets and made reservations for the first weekend of spring training games.  Sucker punch! 

What, Scott Carroll wasn’t available for one of the Sat split squad games?

Of course, we’re facing former Sox pitcher Chris Bassit in the other game...Rich Hill, he of the rumored Joc Pederson + ex-Cub veteran southpaw Hill for Bryce Bush trade that never happened because we never get nice things is opposing Roach, who finished last year in Japan and is the absolute definition of a journeyman, if ever there was one.  I’m guessing most Sox fans have never even heard of him.

We do get to watch Marcus Semien face his former mates, and Josh Phegley, so there’s that to look forward to?

Then we of course get the Machado and Tatis, Jr., Show on Sunday at 2 p.m.  Mercifully, no announcer Sox-related radio or t.v. coverage.  MLB.com will undoubtedly pick it up, just to taunt us.

Every single day this week is framed as some type of an insult to Sox fans.  

PS:  If there are any Michael Ynoa or Rangel Ravelo sightings in AZ, please document them and post them here...

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

It's also like 50 degrees and raining in the Valley of the Sun.  If you came down from Chicago and planned this out months ago right now you are just shaking your head.  I doubt there will be more than 1000 folks in attendance at any of the games the next week.  Things aren't supposed to warm up for another week at least.  It's been an absolutely brutal February for pretty much the entire west coast and 300 or so miles inland.  Snow in vegas,  low 50s in Phoenix and LA with rain constantly and lows in the teens in Seattle, which is unheard of for the most part.  

It's 34 and flurrys out my window right now.  WTF man.  This time of year it's often mid 50s and the rhododendrons are starting to bloom.  Brutal.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

It's also like 50 degrees and raining in the Valley of the Sun.  If you came down from Chicago and planned this out months ago right now you are just shaking your head.  I doubt there will be more than 1000 folks in attendance at any of the games the next week.  Things aren't supposed to warm up for another week at least.  It's been an absolutely brutal February for pretty much the entire west coast and 300 or so miles inland.  Snow in vegas,  low 50s in Phoenix and LA with rain constantly and lows in the teens in Seattle, which is unheard of for the most part.  

It's 34 and flurrys out my window right now.  WTF man.  This time of year it's often mid 50s and the rhododendrons are starting to bloom.  Brutal.

Excellent preparation for the Game of Thrones-like “winter is coming” fan freeze everyone but Eloy Jimenez will be dealing with in April and May back up in Chicago.

• Haha 1

Just now, Timmy U said:

And yet, Donn Roach, is in the large group of people I would rather watch pitch for the Sox than Ervin Santana.  If he sucks, cut him.  Jerry never releases guaranteed money.

The Santana money is only if he makes the big league roster, no guarantees.   If they did, they’d be the dumbest front office in history coming off his last 18 months.

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The Santana money is only if he makes the big league roster, no guarantees.   If they did, they’d be the dumbest front office in history coming off his last 18 months.

My fear is he makes the opening day roster, the money becomes guaranteed and he has nothing ala Shields.

17 minutes ago, fathom said:

Would Santana have even won the speed pitch completion at GRF?

https://www.fangraphs.com/graphs.aspx?playerid=3200&position=P&pitchgraphs=true&statArr=&legend=1&split=base&time=daily&start=2016&end=2018&rtype=mult&gt1=15&dStatArray=FA&ymin=&ymax=

Looks like he was still 92.5-93 for most of 2017...it wasn’t until that finger injury that everything fell apart.

Can we just go ahead and change our team official nickname to the Chicago Stopgaps and Castoffs (aka Misfit Toys)?

And how long will it take for a player to state (probably spoonfed my media relations) this is going to “cause them to play with a chip on their shoulders” ?

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, elrockinMT said:

So much gloom and doom. We have lots of talent to see and judge during Spring Training. One dude don’t make a winning team otherwise Machado would have led the Orioles to the pennant 

1 minute ago, elrockinMT said:

So much gloom and doom. We have lots of talent to see and judge during Spring Training. One dude don’t make a winning team otherwise Machado would have led the Orioles to the pennant 

Yes, we already know.  We had a future HoF pitcher in Sale, Eaton, Abreu and Quintana on the same roster to negligible result.

13 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Imagine you bought tickets and made reservations for the first weekend of spring training games.  Sucker punch! 

Of course, we’re facing former Sox pitcher Chris Bassit in the other game...Rich Hill, he of the rumored Joc Pederson + ex-Cub veteran southpaw Hill for Bryce Bush trade that never happened because we never get nice things is opposing Roach, who finished last year in Japan and is the absolute definition of a journeyman, if ever there was one.  I’m guessing most Sox fans have never even heard of him.

We do get to watch Marcus Semien face his former mates, and Josh Phegley, so there’s that to look forward to?

Then we of course get the Machado and Tatis, Jr., Show on Sunday at 2 p.m.  Mercifully, no announcer Sox-related radio or t.v. coverage.  MLB.com will undoubtedly pick it up, just to taunt us.

PS:  If there are any Michael Ynoa or Rangel Ravelo sightings in AZ, please document them and post them here...

Roach will pitch like, what, 2 innings, maybe 3? Its the first game of spring training and its split squad, not opening day. Cry me a river.

2 minutes ago, Scoots said:

Roach will pitch like, what, 2 innings, maybe 3? Its the first game of spring training and its split squad, not opening day. Cry me a river.

Couldn’t they at least talk about Jimenez, Cease, Robert or Madrigal...?

You’re welcome to start a “positive/optimistic” thread and interact with the sum total of about 4-5 posters who also must be lifelong Bulls’ fans.

6 hours ago, elrockinMT said:

Just a bad take all around. Many people will not see that talent to judge this spring or this season. 

13 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Hey we had to smuggle Donn Roach back from the North Korean League to even be in this position. Now we have Manchado and his protege Fernando anchoring the next superstar infield while the Sox rack up another disabled prospect. The only thing that would atone for this injustice would be Moncada and TA stepping up for the Sox port side IF. 

Nonetheless Sox host Dodgers today at 2:05 CST on Radio 720. Baseball is back. Let's see what Roach has got. And now I give you Ed Farmer. 

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Couldn’t they at least talk about Jimenez, Cease, Robert or Madrigal...?

You’re welcome to start a “positive/optimistic” thread and interact with the sum total of about 4-5 posters who also must be lifelong Bulls’ fans.

Good idea. Maybe I'll do that.

For what its worth, im as disappointed about Machado than anyone. Am i pissed? No. Whats the point. 

I really dont understand how people let the decisions of the front office of a sports team consume their lives so drastically.